Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How.. disappointing....

Question How.. disappointing....

Well maybe its just weird to me. DH just emailed the urology place and asked what the urologists costs are (he has his appointment for the snippity snip on the 1st April) and said that we have private health cover so just wanted to know how much out of pocket we would be for his costs.

The practice manager wrote back that since both the private hospitals here in Launceston are Catholic owned, he can't go there for a vasectomy - he has to go to the public hospital.

I just don't know what to think of this, I mean, I don't really like the fact that religion is getting in the way of going through a preferred hospital system (private vs public) and that we are given no choice as to what provider we want to go through - although I'm stoked that we don't have to pay anything I suppose....

I guess because I'm not a religious person it didn't even occur to me that we wouldn't be able to go through a private hospital to have the procedure done....

WOW! That would never have occured to me.

Sorry you have to go through a service you prefer not to use, thats not very good news

My DH had it done at the local gp rooms we have private health but he could have it done sooner going thru the gp and got most of it back thru medicare then

That's weird, I didn't realise there were Catholic owned hospitals

Sorry to be ignorant, but is the procedure not offered because it's against catholic beliefs? It seems pretty archaic in this day and age...but then again private hospitals are designed to cater to specific people...it would be different if there wasn't a public hospital as well.

Annoying for you guys though!

Quote Originally Posted by Keike View Post
    That's weird, I didn't realise there were Catholic owned hospitals
    You and me both! I mean, yeah, they are called st luke's and st vincents... But still....

PO5 - I don't think gps do it down here? I dunno, we are pretty behind every other state in health care lol well with the exception of having an independent birth centre....

I would imagine so Arcadia, I believe the official stance has relaxed in regards to using condoms, but a surgical procedure would be out of the question I guess.

ETA - Now I think of it Arimeh, we've got them here too, St John of God hospitals. They've got huge crosses on the walls and nuns come around and visit. A couple of my friends birthed there, so they don't seem to discriminate against other religions, but I don't know if they refuse to do vasectomies or tube tying...

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
    Sorry to be ignorant, but is the procedure not offered because it's against catholic beliefs? It seems pretty archaic in this day and age...but then again private hospitals are designed to cater to specific people...it would be different if there wasn't a public hospital as well.

Annoying for you guys though!
    I'm guessing that's why? And yeah thank god there is a public hospital cos both private hospitals don't have maternity there (only the after care) so all babies are born at the general hospital, well unless you go through the birth centre which costs money!

Unfortunately it's not unheard of due to the fact Catholic's don't condone the use of contraception or some assisted reproduction techniques.

There are Catholic hospitals that won't allow IVF to happen in their buildings. Even when a private consulting Dr is just 'hiring' the space.

Makes me mad!

Um Mel, even if a GP would do it, if I were hubby I wouldn't be happy letting a GP do it!
    And I believe Catholic hospitals are still allowed to refuse to provide contraceptive and termination procedures for religious reasons...

Wow..you learn something new every day....

Bit of a pest for you though

Yep, I would be ummm.... “disappointed” too.

And yes, it never occurred to me either that religion would limit our heath care choices.... in this day and age.

My BIL went to a private practice here in Bris... Not that's any help.

DH is going to call them when baby is born.

Quote Originally Posted by Keike View Post
    I would imagine so Arcadia, I believe the official stance has relaxed in regards to using condoms, but a surgical procedure would be out of the question I guess.

ETA - Now I think of it Arimeh, we've got them here too, St John of God hospitals. They've got huge crosses on the walls and nuns come around and visit. A couple of my friends birthed there, so they don't seem to discriminate against other religions, but I don't know if they refuse to do vasectomies or tube tying...
    You don't have to be catholic to birth there, however you wont have a contraceptive discussion afterwards. My mum couldn't have her tuba ligation there because of that, but she did have her hysterectomy there because it wasn't for contraceptive purposes.

Don't be fooled into thinking that health care is secular. Many private hospitals are religious based - usually Catholic. Our closest private hospital, Calvary, is Catholic based and about 8 years ago they stopped providing fertility services, so now all the women having IVF have to travel to Albury for it.

But as much as I think it is a massive conflict of interest for any religion to have it's say in health care it is understandable because it does go against the principles of that religion.

I knew they wouldn't do terminations, but it never occured to me they wouldn't do the snip. I guess it makes sense when you think about it.... (not that I agree, I think if they get govt funding they should provide a full range of services).

Quote Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
    But as much as I think it is a massive conflict of interest for any religion to have it's say in health care it is understandable because it does go against the principles of that religion.
    Surely if that is the case though (which is fine) why isn't there another private hospital that isn't owned by a religion so you can at least have a choice where you go? Cos there isn't a choice here - and I dunno, thats just... wrong...

It doesnt surprise me... I was more surprised that my kids catholic schools, both primary and high school, have a great safe sex program!! Better than the public schools here!!!

Ad has his vasectomy done in a GP office..... they are trained as much as anyone to do them. He was in and out in an hour, didnt need any of his pain killers, one little tiny stitch we can hardly see, and we were "back in the saddle" 5 days later....

There are only 2 here that do them, so get 90% of the work, instead of going to hossy for day surgery, most prefer the in-out way of the 2 GP's.....Cost $300, got back $160 from medicare.
    He also stitched up the ends of the tubes when he cut them, so the chance of them "coming back together" are EXTREMLY small.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast