Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hysterectomy

Default Hysterectomy

Well I haven't been to BB in months but I got some news today and I'm struggling to process it all. I'm scheduled to have a hysterectomy in 6 months time. I need to have reconstructive surgery of the vaginal wall and pelvic floor to fix a stage 3 cystocele and stage 2 rectocele and they require a hysterectomy at the same time. Has anyone had a vaginal hysterectomy before? What am I in for?

Edited to add... I also have a cervical prolapse.

Last edited by Maruschke; January 29th, 2013 at 09:47 PM.

No idea Hun but

Hope you get all the support and strength you need to process and plan

Hysterectomy seems a rather extreme solution.
    Have you sought a second opinion? I know of at least one woman who was told she needed a hysterectomy only to be told there was no need for one when she visited a more competent Doctor.

I've seen two public Obs in the same hopsital, both suggested the same thing? Something to do with the degree of reconstruction required. I'm pretty bummed about it - I rather like having a uterus.

I bet you do

Oh wow I understand why that is hard to process! Sorry I don't have anything useful to say except hugs!! xx

I would be getting another opinion from somewhere else as well. From what I know (not much so feel free to ignore me, lol) it has an impact on so many things. My Mum has bad endo and although she's way past having kids now she has still done anything at all to avoid a hysterectomy.

I would get a 3rd opinion. I can ask some of the gyneas at work if a hysterectomy is common treatment. I have a cystocele it's currently driving me insane (need to pee a lot but cant go and the same DTD) that alone is horrible you poor thing (hugs)

Quote Originally Posted by Zazou View Post
    I bet you do
    Thanks It feels like part of my womanhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
    Oh wow I understand why that is hard to process! Sorry I don't have anything useful to say except hugs!! xx

I would be getting another opinion from somewhere else as well. From what I know (not much so feel free to ignore me, lol) it has an impact on so many things. My Mum has bad endo and although she's way past having kids now she has still done anything at all to avoid a hysterectomy.
    I don't know much about the impact. I know that Drs swear that surgical hysterectomy doesn't cause any hormonal changes but the word on the street from women who have BTDT suggests otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mildez View Post
    I would get a 3rd opinion. I can ask some of the gyneas at work if a hysterectomy is common treatment. I have a cystocele it's currently driving me insane (need to pee a lot but cant go and the same DTD) that alone is horrible you poor thing (hugs)
    Sorry to hear about your cystocele. Can they treat yours with a ring? xoxo

Quote Originally Posted by Maruschke View Post
    I don't know much about the impact. I know that Drs swear that surgical hysterectomy doesn't cause any hormonal changes but the word on the street from women who have BTDT suggests otherwise.
    My mum had a hysterectomy in her early 40's for different reasons to you. She still has her ovaries and cervix, she hasn't experienced any hormonal changes and says it was the best thing she ever did.

No apparently not as it extends a large percentage of the anterior vaginal wall. I'm currently having investigations for pelvic pain and they were considering some mesh thing I haven't looked into yet. I guess its like an anterior repair. The pain had taken priority over my frequency at the moment but I'll have to get onto it again as DTD is becoming painful also

Default Hysterectomy

Mildez . I am having mesh sling inserted too. I hope you find a non surgical solution that works.

My mum had a hysterectomy in her early thrities and she did end up having early menopause, but she also only had one ovary due to the emergency surgical removal of her other ovary years earlier. I hope the surgery goes well adn your recovery is quick.

Please let us know how it goes, I believe I will be looking at something similar in the future I have a cystocele, rectocele and uterine prolapse although not as severe as yours sounds. I am trying to put off the surgery until the girls are a bit older and more independent, Im really hoping that things will improve again when I stop breastfeeding as this happened with my other girls, plus Im hoping to have some leave saved as I dont think going back to nursing too soon would do the repair any good!

There is a you tube video that discusses the effects that a hysteretomy can have on all sorts of bodily functions, not just hormonally but structurally as well. The video is quite detailed, and could be confronting if you were facing having one. I can get you the link if you would like to see it.

I would be asking for more information, and more discussion on the different options for surgery. Maybe taking an advocate with you when you see the surgeon would help you to ask your questions, so you are more comfortable with whatever decision you make.

Wow, that's huge!
    I'd be inclined to get a 3rd opinion, too. Can you see a private OB maybe?
    At any rate, I hope things go as well as possible for you.

My sister is just recovering from her hysterectomy - they left her ovaries though, but took everything else - including some cervix.

I can hook you up with her if you wanted someone who has just been through the procedure? They were going to go through her c-section scar, but ended up doing it by keyhole and taking it out vaginally.

I had surgery November 2011 for stress in continence, bladder prolapse and weak pelvic floor muscles, I also had/has an over active bladder.
    I had the mesh sling inserted and the anterior wall of the vagina pulled up and stitched.

Maruschke, I'm really sorry to hear that you've been told you *need* a hysterectomy. Please watch this video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q80tlNKg3p4 it's the one HotI would have been talking about. Everything on that video is true. Doctors will not tell you all of that because if they did, would you still have it done? HELL NO! It makes no sense to remove all your female sex organs to fix a problem that will get worse afterwards. If you have rectocele and cystocele now, they will happen again after the surgery because there is no structural support inside your pelvis anymore and nothing to prevent both the bowel and the bladder falling completely inside the empty pelvic cavity. I was told I needed one for a mild cystocele. Luckily I already knew the risks of the this surgery to my long-term health so I said no then and there. he tried to talk me out of it and get me to think about it for 6mths. I still said no. I went home and did even more reading which only further supported my decision to refuse this unnecessary surgery. Doctors, especially male doctors only see the uterus as being a 'baby bag' and once you are done you don't need it anymore and it's just a nuisance so it's best to get rid of it. the scary thing is that they would ALL have studied anatomy during their studies. they KNOW what functions the uterus has and yet they will happily remove it from you without a second thought to your long term health and wellbeing.

Please check out this website for more info http://www.hersfoundation.com/effects.html

FACT: Women report a loss of physical sexual sensation after hysterectomy.

FACT: A woman's vagina is shortened, scarred and dislocated by hysterectomy.

FACT: Hysterectomy's damage is life-long. Among its most common consequences, in addition to operative injuries are:
    • heart disease
    • loss of sexual desire, arousal, sensation
    • weight gain
    • osteoporosis
    • bone, joint and muscle pain and immobility
    • painful intercourse, vaginal damage
    • displacement of bladder, bowel, and other pelvic organs
    • urinary tract infections, frequency, incontinence
    • chronic constipation and digestive disorders
    • debilitating fatigue
    • loss of stamina
    • altered body odor
    • loss of short-term memory
    • blunting of emotions, personality changes, despondency, irritability, anger, reclusiveness and suicidal thinking

FACT: No drugs or other treatments can replace ovarian or uterine hormones or functions. The loss is permanent.

FACT:
    The medical term for the removal of the ovaries is castration. 73% of women are castrated during hysterectomy.

FACT
    : The uterus and ovaries function throughout life in women who have not been hysterectomized or castrated.
    FACT: 98% of women HERS has referred to board-certified gynecologists after being told they needed hysterectomies, discovered that, in fact, they did not need hysterectomies.

FACT:
    Gynecologists, hospitals and drug companies make more than $17B dollars a year from the business of hysterectomy and castration.
    I cannot stress enough how important it is to read, read and read some more about this. Nora (from the HERS Foundation) has written a book that is available as an e-book which is brilliant and informative. there is also a book I brought called the Hysterectomy Hoax, written by a gynaecologist which I found to be extremely honest.

And to put it rather bluntly. If you have your vagina shortened (which is what will happen if they remove your cervix as well), sex will be painful. It is logically impossible to think that if you shorten it, sex cannot hurt especially if your husband is well endowed. there is also a risk that the sutures that keep your vagina 'pocket' closed can come open. There will also be significant scar tissue at the end of your vagina as well which may cause pain and tearing. It's not a pleasant thought, but I cannot in good conscience read this and say nothing

Good luck, it's not an easy decision to make, but I have never felt more confident than when I refused it.
    Last edited by Trillian; January 30th, 2013 at 04:49 PM.

I appreciate the honest replies... off to look at the video now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast