Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vasectomy - How long did it take your partner to recover?

Question Vasectomy - How long did it take your partner to recover?

So, my DH is planning to have a vasectomy done as soon as possible.
    He is a leading hand at work and it is difficult for him to take time off. We have read that it can take between 3-5 days to recover from a vasectomy.

DH can take it rather easy at work as there is not a great lot of heavy lifting or anything for him to do.

How long did it take your partner to recover from his vasectomy?

Dh was fine the next day but didn't do a lot - we were both surprised by this as we thought it would be a lot worse

DH had his on a Thursday afternoon, and went back to work Monday. He does have an office job. I think he was cool after a couple of days, but then got a small infection, which cleared up quickly with abs.

I just asked DH, and he said that if he had a job that used a lot of legs then a week, but if it is upper body, then a few days should do it. DH was back renovating our house (working on the roof) in 10 days.

Maybe if you could do it late on Thursday, then have Friday and Monday off, it might work...

Thanks

DH is a locomotive electrician. Pulling cables would be the most strenuous activity he'd have to do. We thought that having it done Thursday evening and going back Monday would be a fair amount of time.

Thanks again for your replies!

DH was back at work 2 days after.

So, could you say that DH could have the vasectomy done on a Friday afternoon and most likely be back to work on Monday? Because he is a leading hand, he is really needed at work and they're in a rather busy period until the end of the year. We both want him to have the vasectomy done as soon as possible.

DH had his on a Friday, and went back to his job (he is a carpet layer, so it's very physical work) on the Monday. In retrospect he went back a bit too early, but he didn't cause any damage, he was just in a bit of extra pain after his first day back.

Double undies ........ I had to do extra washing for a few days to keep up.
    But yes I think he would be ok with that timing.

My hubby is alos a leading hand (working on the tunnels in the city) and is having his vasectomy next month and they cleary told him and myself that he will need to have 7-10days off work, his job is extremely demanding lots of heavy lifting etc etc so he has put in for the full 10 days off...even if he doesnt need the whole time a little break from working 6 days 12.5hrs a day will be nice for him!

In Defence, the guys are always done on the Thur or Fri and they pretty much all return to work on the Monday.

DH came home after his with a packet of endone (FFS! - I was sent home after my C/S with PANADOL) but he didn't take it after I laughed in his face mercilessly and he was *fine* without it. I'm not convinced it's as painful as they all make out LOL.

My DH had his done on Friday and was back to work on Monday. He was a bit sore and swollen on Sat but he said it wasn't as bad as he expected.

From what he described, the pain was more up in the lower stomach area than in the jewels and he was prepared to do it again when he wasn't getting clear SA results for almost 7 months afterwards!

If you are worried about the timing, does he get much time off when your baby is born? Would you consider waiting until then so he doesn't have to take extra time off work? That's when we are thinking DH will have his done ... assuming I get a VBAC. Just a thought anyway

Just subscribing cause I'm interested...
    DH is pretty busy at work too & I am wondering if he could do with a weekend + 1 day. He doesn't do a lot of lifting but does do a bit of crawling around & getting into tight places...
    Sorry don't mean to crash your thread Lisa

DP had his done on a Tuesday afternoon and went back to work lunchtime the next day so he had half a day off. Keep up the ice and double undies.

Tender for a couple of days but he didn't stop mentioning it was a bit sore for a solid week. But mine is a wuss

I think Thursday to Monday would be fine. Since my other half doesn't work, he couldn't do really important things like have the cat sit in his lap for the first two or three days.

My DH got his done on a Friday arvo and went back to work on the following Wednesday. He timed it for when he had a four day weekend due to RDOs. He was told to wear fitted undies and hold a bag of frozen veg over the area for 10 mins at a time, and he did that for about 24 hrs after he got it done and by the Sunday he was feeling ok downstairs.

Just an update.

DH is booked in for his vasectomy on Dec 15. I have cried about it! lol. I know our baby days are well & truly over, but it is all so final... and I kinda feel bad for him. DH is not worried at all though.

DH had to have an initial appt with the Dr to discuss it all and inform him of what is involved. DH was told he will have it done on the Wed and will be more than able to go back to work on the Monday.

I'll update again when it's all done.
    Last edited by Lisa; November 15th, 2010 at 03:51 PM.

Lisa - It's a tough decision. I'm glad your DH is feeling okay about the procedure, it would help I imagine.

Good luck to him on the 15th. I hope everything goes really smoothly and he has a really quick recovery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast