thread: Vasectomy - pros, cons, other :)

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jan 2006
    by the beach,NSW

No, I didn't have to sign anything either.

Bleeding has stopped - went back to the surgeon today, had it checked, all fine, just needed to put some pressure on it (kind of tricky). But he was looking heaps better when I got home and is moving more freely (although kind of bowlegged)

Oct 2004
    In my Zombie proof fortress.

Dh got his done a few years ago. Out of pocket for the first appointment to the surgeon, but nothing there after for the surgery at the public hospital. We had a wait though, due to being regional and the surgeon one did 6 vasectomies a month.

No testing (bad DH), but been fine so far. No scares We are not so worried, as DH got an infection in one (it can happen, but is pretty rare), so one is actually sterile. He still does get some pain in the one that got infected.

I did not notice it, but DH did. Apparently I smiled a lot, once he had the surgery

Can't notice any difference in output, DH has commented that it is less sticky.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Oct 2008
    Victoria

We didn't have any counselling or anything, I never even met the surgeon.

Cost, again I'm not sure. DH had to have his under a general so we had extra fees.

Resident Samsquanch

Jan 2005
    Down by the ocean

Our surgeon wouldn't perform the vasectomy without both dh and my permission. We had a mini counselling session and had to sign a document that stated we both agreed to his vasectomy. Did any of you have to do that too? ( sorry font mean to hijack your thread)
    I had to sign the consent form but didn't have to go to a counselling session. I guess he figured with 4 kids and being in our mid to late 30's we were done

Kelly, I'm sure you remember the issues we had with DH returning positive samples for months afterwards. It was a rather stressful time for us but DH said he'd have the procedure again if need be, so that must have meant it wasn't all that bad physically. Emotionally it felt a bit weird for a bit there (being final and no more babies) but now we're happy with our choice. Sex life has never been better too

Kel, when DH had his done he was told that he couldn't take a sample to the local pathology collection centre as they needed a live specimen, so he would have had to drive over an hour away and he didn't feel like doing the job in a toilet/cubicle so he never went and had it done.
    We were told that the sample doesn't need to be a fresh because they aren't testing for motility, just volume so it didnt matter if it was a few hours old
    Last edited by ~Raven~; February 7th, 2013 at 08:21 PM.

BellyBelly Member

Jan 2011
    Perth, WA

My first DH went in to get it done about a year after #3 in the local GP but unfortunately after they opened him up a vein was wrapped around the tube so couldn't do it. A few weeks later we feel with #4
    He had to wait for the surgeon to come into town, about 3 mths later and he had it done with no issues.
    After I had our son I refused to do the deed until I had written conformation that he had zero swimmers...which I got
    No costs, through the public system and no counselling (we where 28 and 33)

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥
    Add BellyBelly on Facebook Follow BellyBelly On Twitter

Feb 2003
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Vasectomy - pros, cons, other :)

Hey Raven yes I remember! I hope that wont happen to us

I heard that sex can be much better without the conception possibility stress, more spontaneous etc It'd be a load off my mind, my body always seems to want to find a way, grrrr!!! Im not keen to have any hormones in my body I dont need too.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

Oct 2004
    In my Zombie proof fortress.

I heard that sex can be much better without the conception possibility stress, more spontaneous etc It'd be a load off my mind, my body always seems to want to find a way, grrrr!!! Im not keen to have any hormones in my body I dont need too.
    I think so. I know before DH got it done, that sometimes he was a bit reluctant. It is so great not mucking about pills

BellyBelly Member

Apr 2006
    Perth

My hubby has just had it done too and while we're not exactly "going at it like rabbits" (the phrase my OB/his Dr used when giving the all clear after the follow up speciment), it is a HUGE relief to know that no matter what, we're in the clear. We seem to have beaten all the odds with pregnancy too, so its a big weight off my mind. I got really messed around being on the pill so its great not having to bother when them (or anything else) now

With regards to the follow up specimen, it shouldn't make any difference whether the specimen is live or dead so being in a remote area shouldn't matter. They shouldn't see ANY sperm, live or dead. If there are any then the procedure hasn't worked.

My hubby had his on the Friday and was back at work on Monday. He was very bruised and it was obviously pretty tender because he actually missed golf that weekend, but not enough that he took any painkillers.

I should get Andrew to read this thread, as I sit here with a dead arm after another dose of depo this morning. He absolutely refuses to get it done and I don't really know why.

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥

Feb 2003

Many men have the misconception that it will make them less of a man (I guess the whole dog/cat getting desexed and then going soft makes them think they will too), or less sex drive, sex problems etc - all of which are untrue. Testosterone doesn't rely on that tube being connected in order to produce more, so it wont make his testosterone drop (well shouldn't).
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Apr 2006
    Winter is coming

The main con here would be getting DH to go and do it. He isn't a big needle fan, even less so when the needles are pointed at his man bits. He agrees he should, but 3 years on and it hasn't happened.

I sometimes think of DD2 as a failed vasectomy - 'cos DH failed to get one!

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥

Feb 2003

Vasectomy - pros, cons, other :)

LOL!!!!
    Kelly xx

Apr 2008
    Melbourne

I can guarantee that there is no reduction in the man's desire to go at it like a rabbit after a vasectomy, much to my disappointment

Resident Samsquanch

Jan 2005
    Down by the ocean

I should get Andrew to read this thread, as I sit here with a dead arm after another dose of depo this morning. He absolutely refuses to get it done and I don't really know why.
    He needs some peer pressure from someone he knows that had it done. That's what ended up helping DH to overcome the fear of it. One of his mates said it was a piece of pi ss and that got him thinking about it. DD coming along was the final nudge he needed to make it happen though