Thread: Vasectomy reversal

Default Vasectomy reversal

don't shoot me for asking...but...

does anyone know the costs and likelihood of success 5 years post vasectomy?

I don't know much about it, but I did read awhile ago (DH has had one since) that 5 years or less has a 90% success rate.

Thanks

I know of a guy that had his vasectomy reversed after over 20 years and has gone on to father 4 more kids. And he's not a young guy at all! Lol.

Anyone in Victoria had it done and what were the costs? We have phi

My DP had it done around 5 years ago and it was $4000 (he had no phi). The urologist tried to talk him out of it, as he had a snip around 13 years prior to the reversal, and said that if a man has it after 5 or so years, it's much harder to reverse it.

We are looking into one right now.... DH had his done in 2001 - so it's been over 12 years since his vasectomy. Doc is rather optimistic. I think we will be out of pocket $3500-$4000 (we have private health so could be slightly cheaper).

I was given the stats that it could take us up to 2 years to conceive post-reversal (should it be successful) however that takes in my "advanced" age.

We (well DH) had a reversal in Vic back in Nov 2007. It cost us about $4000 all out of pocket (no medicare rebate). It was successful and we got pregnant the following month. I went on to have a beautiful daughter.
    We started to try for No2 in Sept 2009 when DD1 was 1yr old to find out the reversal site had scarred over and it was like he had never had it done We then went down the IVF/ICSI path and after 2 stim cycles and 7 transfers we had another little girl.

I was actually going to get DH to have another reversal...we had even booked in for it when I got pregnant on the last transfer. The FS we went to gave us a 50% chance of the 2nd reversal working and not scarring over. I have to say going down both paths I would prefer the reversal again....and if I could convince my DH to have another bubs I would certainly go the reversal path! but thats not going to happen as DH is done!

Thanks guys. Dh isn't exactly on board at the moment but good to have details in case he comes around