thread: Vasectomy via general - overkill?!?

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥
    Add BellyBelly on Facebook Follow BellyBelly On Twitter

Feb 2003
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Vasectomy via general - overkill?!?

The local doctors here do vasectomy via general. I am worried for DP that its too much, it puts so much strain on the body when a local is perfectly fine, and there can be more complications. Most people I know had their partners do it with a local. Any experiences??

Last edited by BellyBelly; April 12th, 2013 at 03:52 PM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

Apr 2008
    Melbourne

Dp had a local for that reason. It's not a major operation and only takes a few minutes.

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥

Feb 2003

Yeah, sucks that they do it this way out here. Will have to try and get it done in the city or something I guess... not keen on generals at all, let alone for something so simple.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

Dec 2008

DH had a general. We were told they didn't do locals anymore
    Last edited by Tinks; April 12th, 2013 at 09:37 AM.

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

What does your partner want to do?

Oct 2008
    Victoria

My DH had his vasectomy a couple of months ago, he had a general by request. Locals don't work on him.

Sep 2008
    Melbourne

DH had it done via local via Marie Stopes in Dec 2011 - the procedure itself he said was no dramas - he did get an infection after which required antibiotics but all good. I understand your concern about generals - when I recall all the consent stuff you have to sign about generals and what can go wrong - it seems odd to have to have one if isn't required medically or by the patient.

Aug 2006
    On the other side of this screen!!!

My DH was told most men have it done under GA - for psychological reasons more than anything. He asked to have his done under a local, he had good anaesthetic coverage, no problems whatsoever. It's a fairly simple procedure, tbh I don't really understand why so many people think they need a GA for it.

An alternative would be to have it done with a twilight style anaesthetic where you're conscious but you don't remember a thing afterwards & the pain is controlled with a local. I had a piece of hip bone drilled out this way, apparently I talked all the way through it, I would love to know what I said because I have zero recollection.

BellyBelly Member

Sep 2010
    North West Victoria, Australia

My father had his via local (13 years ago), and he needed a follow up op and he had that under general. And another follow up op again under general.

May 2010
    Land of Dreams

No personal experience, but on House Husbands (tv show) they were going to do it via GA

Jun 2012

Re: Vasectomy via general - overkill?!?

Dh had his under twilight sedation

Feb 2006
    Newcastle, NSW

My DH had his done on Dec 2010 via local. He said it was a nothing procedure.

♥ BellyBelly's Creator ♥

Feb 2003

HotI - Sorry convince is the wrong word, not great with words lately between sleep debt and teething bubba. I said to him its his choice but I was concerned about the general. It is harsh on the body, he recently quit smoking and has put on quite a bit of weight the last 12 months that he's been sternly told off by the doctor. There are also heart problems in his family, heart attacks. Im worried about his health. He said he didnt realise a general was harmful in any way. Also more complication risks for the vasectomy - 10% chance of something happening to make the testicles swell up heaps - on my iphone without the info at the moment....
    Kelly xx

2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Oct 2007
    Outer South East Melbourne :)

Re: Vasectomy via general - overkill?!?

My DH had it done with local and still ended up with nuts the size of baseballs due to the local not being administered properley. So that can happen regardless.

given it's his body, i think it's up to your DP how he has it done, once he's weighed up all the pros and cons and has made an informed decision.

Oct 2004
    In my Zombie proof fortress.

DH had his in a twilight anesthetic. The surgeon who does them down this way has found there is less hassle this way. He used to have too many men have their testicles retract, they would then have to knock them out to perform the procedure. In the end he found it better to just go straight to the anesthetic.

DH did end up with an infection in one tube, nothing to do with the anesthic though, just one of things that sometimes happens.

Honestly I think it is more important to know how they do the procedure itself to ensure a more successful outcome. DH was pretty happy with his surgeons method.

Dec 2006
    Smidgen-ville

They do it here under local. I get why psychologically it's a preference to have it under GA.

Nov 2008
    Perth

All our friends who have had a vasectomy have only had locals. My dad even watched his!

Apr 2006
    Perth

My DH recently had one and it was under a very light general. He had it done around midday and I picked him up at 3pm and brought him home. No complications, no issues and he was back playing golf (which of course is the benchmark for health issues around here!) two days later