Thread: Decision re cord clamping and placenta - some opinions??

Default Decision re cord clamping and placenta - some opinions??

So my birth experience is going to be completely different this time round compared to my last two. Its in a midwife led birth centre and we already know I aint hopping off the plug when its time to birth Gage My midwife brought up cord clamping and what we want to do regarding the placenta after birth at my last ante natal appt. She said she'd give me time to think about and bring me some info but I was wondering how others came to their decisons regarding these things?

At this stage the only think that concerns me about delayed cord clamping and waiting for the placenta to come naturally is that I know that I'll want to get out, shower and get dressed within a half hour of birthing.

How long did it take for your cord to stop pulsing/on average?
    How long did it take for your placenta to come away/on average?

Hi

Recent experience only - cord clamping we only waited 5 mins - my cord had a true knot in it from a somersault at some stage during preg and I gave birth standing up etc so I gave permission for it to be clamped so separate so I could get up on the bed ...

My placenta took 90 minutes - the midwifes had a couple of gentle words that the needle would have to come soon - and it finally came out - but I did have a lot of clotting around it cos it took so long.

Then, I had to wait for the Ob for a few stitches - so from birth at 8.58pm - it was 11.30 until I got a shower .... 2.5 hours. Worst part was waiting for the ob cos I just wanted to have a shower and get some sleep!!!

Good luck!

The placenta came out around 45 min after Ceri's waterbirth. Not sure when it stopped pulsating, sorry! I showered about five hours or more after her birth....I was fairly clean. Ceri was breasfeeding within 5 min of being born and she stayed put for quite a while, which I assume sped up the placental process.

On a different note, I love your sons names!

Thanks Cat Its such an undertaking trying to pick boys names for us, and its always what we end up with, sons lol We had a girls name (Carys) picked since before I met DH. Sad we'll never use it hehehe Might have to get a fish or something

Hmm ok so its a play it by ear situation for the cord/placenta. Might just give myself an hour and assess the placenta situation after that. Prob wont take that long, my first bought his placenta out with him and my second I had the needle (I think?) and it was out within 10min.

Anna, it's not all or nothing either. The cord can be clamped at any time, and even delayed clamping is better than early clamping in terms of cord blood going into baby. So you can ask for the cord to be left to stop pulsating, and then if you are uncomfortable ask for it to be clamped after a few minutes. Same with the needle. You can say no but have it later if there is still no placenta and you want to be mobile. GL hun.

I had my son in a Birthing centre & he was breastfeeding immediately & the placenta came away naturally about 20mins after he arrived & then they waited whilst he fed before clamping infact the midwife & trainee helpedbring Zyon up onto my chest & then stepped right back out of the way whilst Dh, Mum & my aunt came in to see & congratulate me/us!
    After he had fed 15+mins they clamped & wrapped him & then placed him back on me, I had to ask them if I could put him down & shower, as i hate being covered in goop! LOL
    So I showered maybe 50mins after his arrival!!