View Poll Results: Did your partner want to cut the umbilical cord?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

85 64.89%
  • No

46 35.11%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did your partner want to cut the umbilical cord?

I don't know how to answer your poll question. When I was pg and asked him, he said he definitely didn't want to cut the cord. But then when DS1 was born, he was offered the scissors and he took them and did it. He also cut DS2's cord too.

wow. I'm finding this very interesting! I was under the impression that most Dads would want to be involved in this .... but my DH didnt. First time he said "eeww no way" second birth he missed cos it was way to quick. This time I am going to do it myself I think!

My DH is a bit squeamish with anything medical or icky, and he's needle-phobic, I told him he is being a sook and its all in his head, cos he doesnt even bat an eyelid when it comes time to butcher our own meat on the farm.

Thankyou to whichever mod added the poll!

I guess the question is - did your DH intend to cut the cord when you discussed this while pg? I understand that many men simply don't know how they will react until they get there, and may actually change their mind. But it is interesting to read about the different intentions that the fathers have had.

BHL has cut both DS and DD1 cord so I guess it didnt bother him too much, I never really asked him just thought he would do it, but BHL has had to do alot of gross stuff in his line of work so a little cord cutting was a piece of cake so to speak....

with DD2 BHL wasnt there so mum cut the cord, she told me it was so werid been on the otherside of birth, but just if not more amazing....

Quote Originally Posted by myson View Post
    wow. I'm finding this very interesting! I was under the impression that most Dads would want to be involved in this .... but my DH didnt. First time he said "eeww no way" second birth he missed cos it was way to quick. This time I am going to do it myself I think!

My DH is a bit squeamish with anything medical or icky, and he's needle-phobic, I told him he is being a sook and its all in his head, cos he doesnt even bat an eyelid when it comes time to butcher our own meat on the farm.
    Mine DH is like this too. He grew up on a farm and has seen many cows/sheep give birth. Yet he hates looking at a baby being born and doesn't like touching it until it's cleaned off and wrapped up

He didn't want to when we discussed before hand, but when it actually came time to do it he changed his mind.
    Got caught up in the heat of the moment I think

MY DP cut both ours. I think he secretly loved it too.
    He's done something for the boys that i haven't, you know.

My DH said he didn't want to when we discussed it and didn't change his mind at the birth. He doesn't regret not doing it he just says it's not his thing

Dh wanted to cut ds's cord but didn't have a chance to do it, the Dr did it, as they wanted him out and attended to quickly.

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

I asked my partner this question a couple of months ago. When our DD was born he was never given the option due to complications at the time of her birth. He'd never actually thought of it when I mentioned it, in fact, he didnt' even know that under normal circumstances he would have been given the option.

DH says he's not fussed about it. I thought most guys would want to aswell but DH said he doesn't see what the big deal is and doesn't care if he does it or not. I think he think's it's a little gross too, lol. I don't really mind if he does or he doesn't.

My DH didn't want to cut it either, so my Mum did it. She said it was quite hard to cut and the scissors they gave her were blunt. It's only going to be DH and I in there this time, so if he doesn't do it, I guess a midwife will. Funny... I just assumed it was something that all fathers would want to do. I do understand though, it is a little gross. I just thought men were tougher than that!

He was going to do it but when the time came he just stood there with a dumb look on his face and told my mum to do it!

Well my DH said before the birth of our first son Cody that he was not too sure if he was going to be able to cut the cord, and with that comment i had decided that if he was not going to do it I wanted to do it. But as soon as the nurse asked him he took those scissors and cut it. So all three of our kids he has cut the cord.

But if he did not cut it then i would have!!

HTH Nikki

At the beginning Shel didn't want to at all, it grossed her out. By the end of my pregnancy she was all for it, and even though I had a c/s and she didn't get to cut it, she got to trim the cord and she was stoked. The assistant took some amazing photos and she's so proud of herself LOL.

ETA: She said it felt like cutting licorice.
    Last edited by Indadhanu; December 11th, 2008 at 02:14 PM.

No, definitely not.
    He was worried enough about being in the same room, scared he would pass out at the sight of blood.

DH wasn't too fussed. He was always 'If i have to' But when the MW handed him the scissors when DD1 was born he was happy to do it. I think I will ask him if he wants to this time, and if he is not fussed then I will put it in my birth plan that I want to. I will wait till the cord has stopped pulsating, like we did with Em. I did suggest a lotus birth to DH but he was a bit grossed out!!

SugarDust Guest

Simon cut it both times aswell as watched the birth!

He wants to film it if its a girl this time!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast