View Poll Results: Did your partner want to cut the umbilical cord?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

85 64.89%
  • No

46 35.11%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did your partner want to cut the umbilical cord?

with our 1st hubby wasnt keen.. just not interested..
    with our 2nd he didnt mind the idea.. at least it was him contributing to something other than supporting me.. and he felt more confident this time around.

Smile

My Dh cut the cord on all our five bubs & he was so over the moon about it!

No... My kids father REFUSED flat out when the midwife had the scissors and clamp ready for him to cut. He walked away. He's so squeamish (and selfish.. grrr) that as our DD flew out, he ran out the room gagging and vomiting All class huh?? hehe. My mum ended up cutting the cord.

For DS he wasn't there (we had split) and my mum cut the cord.

This time hubby is excited to be a part of it all

sorry was additional post...!! Accidentally posted last one twice!!

Yep, my usually squeamish DH cut the cord with my 2nd child's birth (the 1st and 3rd were too complicated).... and he and I felt very proud He would do it again... if our family wasn't complete.

Ah, this one is a fun one. DH has cut the cord - but doesn't want to do it again because its extremely tough and his wrists arent the best. Hoping they will be ok by the time I deliver, but apparenly recovery can take a while.

XH wanted to cut the cord the first time. Didn't the second time because he cut the midwifes finger the first time.... Hang on - maybe thats why they tried holding me down to get a blood test out of me. *stark realisation dawns*.... You know, they could have told me! As far as I knew, it was for no reason and they wouldnt give me one!

My mum came into the op theatre with me for my c/s with DD and i asked her a few days prior if she would cut the cord and she did. It was such an emotional moment for both of us.

I never thought of asking her to cut the cord with DS though It never even occurred to me.

DH wasn't into it but when DS was born the OB just shoved the scissors into his hand and said "Dad you want to do the honours?" so DH did cut the cord and no problem, I think he was quite glad he did and found it quite interesting, he said it felt like cutting gristle LOL.

No worries with DD, he cut the cord then too.

DP couldnt bear the thought of "cutting through human flesh" so my Mum cut the cord and was more than happy to do so. Next time I think I would like to cut it...

my first ~ yes
    Second ~ No(medical reasons)
    this time round he is hoping to beable to have the chance to cut the cord.

DH cut our first DD's cord and DD13 cut her brother and two sisters cords. DH trimmed Imogen's cord as she was an emergency c/s...

my DH didn't get the cut it sor DS1 or DS2 as the dr did it (both c-sections).
    We discussed it and he didn't want to with DS3 but I talked him into it
    He was scared of hurting the baby but after it was all said and done he is happy he cut it.

DP not only cut the cord, he went with the midwife to inspect the placenta and sac, he reckons that it was interesting and informative because the midwife explained everything to him about what they look at and why

I did cut the cord with #3. It was quite tough but I am glad I did it.

before DS was born he said no way but he did it when they asked him lol im hoping this time around he does but im gonna try to be upright so it might be more difficult lol

slyder Guest

I'm not the least bit squeamish, but I just can't see the point. It seems like a big cliche to me. The woman does all the work, and the bloke rocks in at the end and cuts the cord for no reason. Same as the cliche where the woman spends all day on the roast, and hubby comes in at the end to carve it, as if to imply the woman isn't primal enough to prepare the beast for eating. But I digress.

Not saying I won't do it, but I just don't care really.

Dh did but said it was gross...like cutting thru jelly rubber lol
    my sil had a baby on friday and my brother cut the cord and for what ever reason blood sprayed him the midwifes and the ceiling...gross huh

My DH was too scared to do it. Was a CS anyway, but he was offered to trim the cord but declined. He was scared he would slip and hurt bub. For the next bub, if I have a VBAC, I will be cutting the cord

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast