View Poll Results: Did your partner want to cut the umbilical cord?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

85 64.89%
  • No

46 35.11%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Did your partner want to cut the umbilical cord?

Df always said he wouldn't do it so with DD1 my sister did it seeing as she was also a support person DD2 I thought why shouldn't I do this myself after all the hard work so that's what I did.

We'd discussed it beforehand, DH didn't seem terribly fussed either way - but I suppose since the assumption is there that Dad cuts the cord, he did it. Both times, no freakouts (not that he's squeamish but you have to admit it is a bit 'yuck' if you've never so much as watched a dog have puppies before, kwim?), I think he was a bit surprised at the consistency of it (he told me, at the time too lol, it was like cutting gristle), but yeah. I don't think it would have worried him either way whether he did it or not, I think he was more inclined to do it for DD1 just so he could 'stake his claim' over my mum who was also there, and then when DD2 arrived it was all old news, he did it no hassles

DH didn't want to do it, but he suprised me (and himself!) by doing it. And yeah, big grissley sausage

DS - No, because of a complicated birth.

DD - Yes

LOL! I don't think DP got time to think. I went in for the monitor thing (name slipped my mind) on the Monday and they said they needed to induce the next day. Ended up 2 days later because another woman (now my friend) spontaneously went into labour early and needed an extra midwife so i got bumped down.

DP was still in shock on the wednesday because we expected to wait another month. He caught our daughter and cut the cord. He was pretty stoked with himself! I honestly thought he'd pass out somewhere along the way because he went WHITE with a tinge of green!

yep, it was definitely in the birth plan, he was more than happy to melts my heart.

XP did DD1's and DH did DD2's i wasnt sure DH would get to do DD2s as i had an emergency c/s but they still let him, at least 1 thing stayed from my birth plan

8. Cool

Yes all 3 times and no problems, he didn't even hesitate, took it as a right of the father!

Prior to birth he didn't....but on the day he did when the midwife offered. so i voted yes.

DH delivered DD and cut the cord he was quite chuffed to and loved it! He wasn't sure throughout the first half or so of the pregnancy if he would though

Sent from the land of "iSomethings" so forgive me for any spelking misstaks

My DH also delivered my DD, and yes he cut the cord.

Quote Originally Posted by slyder View Post
    I'm not the least bit squeamish, but I just can't see the point. It seems like a big cliche to me. The woman does all the work, and the bloke rocks in at the end and cuts the cord for no reason. Same as the cliche where the woman spends all day on the roast, and hubby comes in at the end to carve it, as if to imply the woman isn't primal enough to prepare the beast for eating. But I digress.

Not saying I won't do it, but I just don't care really.

Lol. I miss Slyder.

I think it is a nice way for dads to be involved.

DH did, but said it gave him the willies and he's not sure about doing the next one

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234