Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Introducing baby

so we were a bit different. DD1 was present for the birth of DD2. At the time DD1 had turned two a month a bit beforehand. We never had any issues with her and DD2. We kept everything normal for her, we didnt make a huge fuss about anything either. After DD2 was born she and dh went out and got me a few things whilst we waited to be discharged (was home the same day as birth), and dd1 got her new sister a teddy bear penguin. On the way home we asked her if she would look after DD2 and make sure she was happy. But besides that we didnt nothing different. At home she was my helper, because thats what big sisters do, they help their little sisters and make sure they are happy.
    When people came she had already told dd1 that people wanted to come and she her new little sister because they thought little sister must be special to have such a special big sister like dd1.

Mind you dd1's personality is very calm and relaxed. And I think that has played a huge part in how she responded to having a sister. Take your own child's personality into consideration and make sure you counteract that first before you make plans that may not work with your child.

This time round both girls know about sprout. DD1 is team sister, DD2 is team brother. They are very excited, and at the moment are really enjoying collecting things for sprout.
    Other thing is I would be careful about how much fuss people make of the older siblings. Because that can backfire in the long run. I have a friend who had everyone make a huge fuss of big brother when little brother arrived. After the first couple of visits older brother expected the fuss from people, starting playing up and causing mischief because he got used to the added attention and gifts and what not.

Honestly, consider your own childs personality and how they respond to new situations. Communication is always good, and just make sure that you dont create an inbalance that lasts long term and could cause you more trouble in the end.

GL! xo

I had DS in a Birth Centre and one of the MWs asked if DD was going to be present for the birth and I said "noooo way!" she is just too full on! Mind you she was only 16mths. We bought a present (well actually my MIL did, bless her!) for DD from the baby, a cabbage patch doll, so she could feed it when I was feeding and things like that.

Never really panned out that way though - DD is just too independent and full of beans to really care when I was feeding the baby!

So I definitely think beans' post above about taking Moo's personality into account is a good one!

DD was our first visitor and the first one to know the gender of bubby. She came into birthsuite and I had DS on my chest still laying on the bed. She opened the door, and said my baby and no one else was allowed near him or to hold him. She just kept saying no my baby. It was so cute and I'll never forget it.

Before DS was born we just talked about how there was going to be a baby but that was about it. We didn't make too much of a deal about it and it worked really well for us.

I told ds ( 20 months when DD came) all along and i also bought him a book "there's a house in mummys tummy" I also bought him a cool present from DD and we went shopping for DD for him to choose a present for her.. It was all very sweet adn they are really close

HTH XOX

Good thread. DS will be 16-17months when bub is born and I have been wondering how to go about introducing them. Even though he is only 13months, when we ask him where the bub is he pats my tummy and gives it a kiss and cuddle, or points to the u/s pic on the computer

I do like the point of bub being in the cradle rather than being nursed when DS comes in the room though. And we will be buying DS a present from bub. Will probably also get DS to pick out something for bub because he likes giving presents

ive got smaller age gaps and after 2nd and 3rd were born i made sure my kids were the first and only visitors
    we also made sure to make a massive fuss over them in hosp so they never felt pushed aside
    Jhett wasnt too fussed when i was in hosp after having tahtah he loved her but was like oh yeah- the jealously was big at home but we made 100% clear only DH and i were to deal with his jealously and it didnt last and we made lots of Jhett only time (when she was sleeping)

when i had hudson Jhett wanted to take him home straight away (didnt care about me lol) but we really havent had much issue from both with jealously,
    we just try to involve both kids as much as possible

we've been thinking about this too ... DS will be about 21 months old when ziggy arrives... and I'll be recovering from a c-section so picking him up and carrying him around without help will be difficult (or out of the question) for a little while ...

our plans so far include:-

1. move DS to his new room and single bed in the next couple of months, so it's not associated with ziggy's arrival
    2. having a prezzie for DS to give ziggy, and a prezzie ready and waiting for ziggy to "give" DS
    3. possibly having a "baby" for DS to practice with. So mummy has a baby, and he has one too.
    4. if he's showing any signs of readiness, starting to TT DS before ziggy's entrance.
    5. we've ordered a book called "My New Baby" by Anie Kubler - check it out

but am loving getting more ideas

Just wanted to come back and thank everyone for their input You all gave me a lot to think about! Thank you!

Thanks for starting this thread CM. I've been thinking a lot about this too as DD will be 2 years and 1 month when #2 arrives.

Will check out some of those books mentioned too. Thanks everyone!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12