Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jaundice from delayed cord clamping?

Default Jaundice from delayed cord clamping?

Hi ladies,

I spoke to my ob about delayed cord clamping when I was there this week. He said that if I want to then that is not a problem.
    Anyway, he mentioned that there is also some research that suggests that the extra blood from the delayed clamping increases the incidence of jaundice. I had come across this briefly in something I had read before I asked him. He just suggested that I look into that too before making my decision.
    So... I was wondering how many of you ladies that have delayed cord clamping have had jaundiced babies? Is it just a bit of a beat up?

TIA

I read an article about this too, but It was more saying that it was a bit of a myth? wish I could remember where/what it was from!

My DS didnt have delayed cord clamping (ECS) my nephew also didnt and both had pretty bad jaundice (borderline as to lights being used or not, ended up not)

Both DS and DD1 were jaundiced - no delayed clamping obviously due to c-section.

DD2 - delayed cord clamping - no jaundice

On FB there is a group called " leaving a babys cord to stop pulsating(delayed cord clamping) which is where I am sure I read the article I was referring to.

this a quote from the author of the page "Jaundice is often used as an argument against DCC, even though there has never been any randomized study evaluating the risks of severe jaundice in relation to the time of cord clamping.
    What if jaundice is caused by poor breastfeeding? And is it really a health problem? Read this interesting article by Slovakian lactation consultant ´Viera Červená, and see what you think. "
    https://sites.google.com/site/proble...cle-in-english that is the article they are referring to.

Im not sure but have a look through the links, there may well be some more info in there on this group.
    Leaving A Baby's Umbilical Cord To Stop Pulsating (Delayed Cord Clamping) | Facebook

DD1 was clamped immediately = she got jaundice

DD2 had delayed cord clamping = no jaundice.

so from my vast research i would say....total beat up

delay the clamping babe! it is so amazing how their little bodies just take all that stuff in!

So far, if anything, all anecdotal evidence suggests the opposite!

Very interesting, I hadn't heard that theory before, interested to read more peoples responses.

DD2 had delayed cord clampimg and queit bad jaundice, also boarderline lights..., but the midwifes asssured me it had nothing to do with cordclamping

The girls are mostly right. The research suggests it does increase the incidence of jaundice, but not the risk, in that babies with delayed cord clamping my experience slightly more jaundice but it has no adverse effects. And because there are many other factors that affect the development of jaundice, including feeding, it's a very poor argument against delayed clamping.

We've waited until the cord stopped on all three. All three have had slight jaundice, none of them have required hospital admissions.

Dd had mild jaundice, and we delayed clamping, but my mw said it was from her being only 38 weeks...she fed like a champ though and it was all flushed out in no time.

We did DCC with DS and he had very mild jaundice. So mild, in fact, that my midwife said she had never seen a baby get over it so quickly!

We did DCC for DS, with no Jaundice.

Both of my DDs had jaundice and one had DDC, the other immediate clamping.

I was very strongly for DCC after all the reading I did in preparation for birth.

Our choice to have delayed cord clamping and believe me, it is unheard of in the country town and DD had the slightest jaundice but she also wasnt feeding well either, so perhaps that contributed too

three kids, all delayed cord clamping, no jaundice

Thanks girls and guys, doesn't sound like too many of you have experienced any issues. It didn't seem like my ob was trying to put me off, he just said that he had come across that in his reading and I should make sure I had read both sides. If I do want it then just remind whoever is assisting when we get close to the end. Pretty sure I am delaying clamping.

Thanks Starrysky! I had a read through some of your links and it makes sense to me. Some very passionate ladies on that facebook page!!

Did you know it can stop pulsing in just a couple of minutes?

I've never quite understood DCC myself. Just as arteries are going through the cord into the baby, veins are traveling in the opposite direction. The baby has been getting mums nutrients for 40 odd weeks so why does the last 3 minutes make a difference? I am sure there is some scientific explanation I just could never find it.

We didn't have delayed clamping bc the cord was three times around Dd2's neck and Dd1 was a bit of a drama with forceps and things were pretty hectic.

I too spoke to OB about it and he was fine with it. He also said it's common practice at the hospital I go too so it wasn't a big deal at all if that's what I wanted.

We'll see how it goes this time but tbh i'd rather cut it immediately and donate it if possible. Although that wasn't possible last time maybe it will be this time.

I delayed clamping with DD2 and no jaundice If I have a 3rd child Im even thinking of doing a lotus birth so no cord cutting at all

Wow Aligator... you are way more keen than me! I have read about lotus birth, and I think placentas are really cool to look at, but I just couldn't deal with having it attached to the baby for a couple of weeks. Good luck with it.

JM, I have no intention of donating the blood, so DCC seems sensible. I don't know if it will make any difference, but I figure if it only takes a few minutes then why not. I did ask in another thread if those who had experienced both immediate and delayed clamping/ synto injection vs physiological 3rd stage really felt that it changed their experience, but noone answered.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast