Thread: Lots of questions...

Default Lots of questions...

Hey everyone!! My names Sophie, i'm 19 and am now 9 weeks and five days pregnant!! yay!!!

I'd be lying if i said that i'm not ******ing myself about giving birth. I've been watching birth videos on the net, and i have to say, they actually make me feel better about the whole thing, especially the really painful ones. Don't ask me why, i don't know myself.

I've chosen Caboolture hospital, because everyone i've spoken to about there has assured me it's brilliant.

Need to know...

What do you think is the best position for birth?
    What should i do to avoid tearing?
    If i get an epidural, do you think i could get a general first??
    (i've had a lumbar puncture before, and it was the most painful thing i've ever been through and i really don't want to do that again with out a general)
    What did you find was the best time to leave for the hospital?
    What did you put in your overnight bag?
    What can i do to keep myself calm?

Thats all i can think of right now, if theres anything you think i should know please tell me, because i'm new at this, and freaking out. Haha.

Thankyou!!!!
    Sophie

1) Get a book like New Active Birth - its ace and will help you avoid a epidural at all.
    2) Stay upright as long as you can, be upright when you birth and use gravity!
    3) There are some guidelines as to when you should leave for hospy, I go an hour after cntx established....my last birth was 3 hours long yay! First was 4 hours.
    4) I put all my nicest, favourite lotions etc in my overnight bag and 5 pairs of old undies!
    5) Whatever keeps you calm now, will usually work in labour

Thats a little start, keep reading through here for more info. I wanted to birth as naturally as possible but a HUGE part of me is petrified of needles in spines too. I didn't need one with all three. One small graze in each birth because I'm always upright (NEVER on your back!), and the last one was a waterbirth...for the ultimate in calmness aahhhh!

I can't answer all of your questions because I had an emergency c-section, but here goes....

Don't worry about the epidural needle pain, if you feel you need an epidural you will be in enough pain that you won't even feel the needle, and you will want it so bad you would do ANYTHING to make the pain go away, even have a needle in your spine!

I left for hospital when I couldn't cope with the pain anymore. You're better at home for as long as you can. You'll know when it's time to go.

To keep yourself calm, remember to breath... And don't fight the contractions, relax and think of them as a good pain, each one is a step closer to meeting your beautiful baby!

All the best with your birth

Upright as muchas possible. Both my DD'2 were birthed with me on my back, but DD2 was more sitting upright then my first and it was easier.

Dont push unless told to! Listen to what the midwife/OB says and follow their cues. IN saying that...i tore both labours..LOL

Get a local maybe? Ive never had an epi so perhaps ask the hospital about this request

I left home when i began wanting drugs and pain was making me feel scared and not in control
    Undies, spare clothes, drinks, food, odds and ends
    Relax and let your body do its job. Breathing is important. Focus on the end result...your baby!

In my expereince i had to have an episiotomy so can't give advice on tearing but upright was definately the best position when they got me to lay on my back for the episi the pain intensified.
    I left for hospital when my contractions were 5 min apart but we had a 30 minute drive i would have left it longer if we were closer as i was happier in my own environment.
    I packed three bags! One for baby with all the clothes etc. one for my stay in hospital lots of old undies, maternity pads, pyjamas toiletries etc. and another bag for labour that had my ipod, magazines and food and drink for hubby and me (magazines were not even opened lol) camera lip balm and hair ties.
    The best advice i can give you is get as mch information on the birth as possible, dont just focus on the pain it will cause, look at all options, natural assisted emergency caeser etc. because any may happen to you and you will feel more in control if you have some knowledge about it. Also try not to listen to other peoples "horror stories" each person is different so are their bodies.
    Good luck and good on you for starting to prepare yourself for the amazing journey of birth xxx

Upright has much as possible, use gravity. New Active Birth is fantatsic.

Water is supposed to be good for helping the perineum stretch naturally. Birth upright as much as possible. Kimbaz said only push when directed to - I disagree - let your body guide you. The bearing down sensation is very strong and you will know what to do and when to push.
    Longer second stages are known to cause more tearing (but so are fast ones) so stay upright and let gravity assist with the descent of your baby.
    I only had a tiny outer labial graze - 10 min second stage. I birthed on my back (she was going to do an internal despite the fact I was pushing! ?) however I was upright for my entire labour.

You can only get a general for an emergency ceasarian. They wouldn't knock you out to give you an epidural and then wait for you to wake up. As somebody mentioned if you are in enough pain you won't care about the pain the epi will give.

I was forced into hospital when it was too early and I went back myself once I couldn't handle it at home anymore. Which was about 2 hours after my waters broke and ctx were 3mins. Be mindful of how long the car ride to the hospital is because the car ride is not fun.
    Call the hospital and they will guide you. If your waters break generally they like you to go instraight away so they can make sure no meconium in the waters etc, however less than 15% of labours are onset by water breaking. So when you ctx are 5mins consistently then its time to think about it

Notepad and pen so i could write down my birth experience while i remembered it in detail. so i could record how i felt after birth and all the little things i felt in the first few days. some nice hand cream and a yummy smelling perfume

if youre worried about being calm in labour look into hypnobirth/calmbirth it has had some successful results and many women praise it highly.
    If you mean during pregnancy - staying calm when thinking about birth. I cant heko, I was terrified from the get go and the only time I felt comfortable with the idea of labour and birth was when i was in labour.

You'll do just fine! Congrats and a h&h pregnancy to you

**edited original post **

There are some great birth books out there hun, i recommend you grab one like new active birth or birth.

Wishing you a wonderful pregnancy journey & beyond
    Last edited by Shanti; December 29th, 2008 at 12:30 PM.

Hi hun,

I had an emergency c/s so I can't answer all your questions...

No, they won't do that. I've never heard of that actually. My epidural actually wasn't painful. At all. Or maybe compared to the labour... it felt a bit like a bull ant bite when they put the needle in but after that it was nothing.

NOT TOO EARLY. Once your contractions get closer than 5 minutes I'd say that'd be the best time, as labour is well established. I wouldn't go before then unless you really really REALLY can't stand the pain.

ummmm... there are some great lists out there, I found I barely needed anything except black underwear, easy to open nighties, toiletries, and LANSINOH for my nipples.

SR
    - re the general for an epi.
    if you hada general there is no need for an epidural as you will be asleep and under a general you will miss the birth of your baby.
    rest assured the needle for an epi is smaller than a lumbar punture needle. they will also give you local before hand

i would go to hospital when you are not comfortable staying at home with the contractions. as every birth is different it is very hard to give a time frame

position - i birthed both babies on my back with my back popped up. i tried all 4's and squatting /standing but it was too painful and i was too tired to push in those positions.