Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Placenta encapsulation

Ive emailed a homebirth midwife i know to see if she knows any thing about it.

Ive also found a recipe =) it seems pretty easy... My only issue now is ill be at my parents house when ill do it...so will have to tell them what im cooking in their oven =p
    Heres tge recipe:
    ~cut off the cord and membranes
    ~steam the placenta, add lemon grass, pepper, and ginger to the steaming water(adding stuff to the water appears optional tho). It is done when no blood comes out when you pierce it with a fork.
    ~cut it into thin slices (like jerky) and bake in oven at about 95-120 c until dry and crumbly (several hrs)
    ~crush into a powder you can use food processor, blender, coffee grounder, morter and pestle, pitting in a bag and grinding with rocks.
    ~put powder into empty gel caps. (or you can just add a spoonful to cereal or in a smoothy etc)

Sent via my vortex manipulator!

I'd love to consume my next placenta (and the one after that, etc.) but I don't think I'd want to have any part in the process... They're interesting to look at, and have all these wonderful things they do, but I'm not sure I could do that myself. Just leave it all mysterious and I'm good

Yea it would be handy to give it to someone who does it and all you see afterwards is a pretty jar full of capsules. but i can find anyone in my area...unless i sweet talk my midwife..hmmmm

Sent via my vortex manipulator!

that doesn't sound too difficult. you could put powder in a cup of tea ect too.

rofl at your DH comment charlotte!

my DH was grossed out to begin with but when I explained it to him better he was ok. he just said as long as I don't make him take it it was all good.

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Loads of info in our placenta encapsulation article, and we also have placenta encapsulators in the BellyBelly directory too
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

Default They lool like any other herbal capsule

Congratulations for looking into this. I encapsulate placentas as part of my doula service. Honestly Doll, the end result looks like any other herbal capsules, no one would be able to tell the difference. I think when we talk about "eating our placenta" people envision having to sit down to a plate with a knife and fork and chowing down.
    Getting DH to research it himself is a great idea! He'll no doubt come back to you trying to talk you into it himself when he reads about the benefits!!
    Kelly started a new thread today on this very subject, feel free to visit and chat to me!!

Good luck!

I'd love to do this with my next baby, don't think I'd tell friends in real life though as it would freak them out

Default it's no one else's business

Quote Originally Posted by Me2 View Post
    I'd love to do this with my next baby, don't think I'd tell friends in real life though as it would freak them out
    I know. It's a good idea. I'm frequently sent cartoons etc about the shock value of "eating your own placenta". It really is only your business though. I actually know a few people who have had home births that didn't tell anyone, as they didn't want the angst associated with the negativity. Do what's right for you sweetie, just like the rest of your parenting!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Me2 View Post
    I'm doing this now and I completely freaked out a very dear male friend of mine. Was pretty funny to watch him wrestle with the desire to make me stop talking about something that was making him sick, and his weird fascination in hearing all the details. He saw me with pnd after my second child so was very supportive, as were my SsIL who were also grossed out by it.

I think anyone who cares about you will either support you, or just not discuss it. At least, they should ;-)

I am currently consuming the encapsulated placenta of my second child. A friend encapsulated it for me for "mates rates" ($80) - she provides placenta encapsulation services as part of her doula business. She told me that she cleans it, dries it out in a food dehydrator, grounds it, & puts it in the capsules - I think she has a machine that does this? She said that on average you get 120 capsules from each placenta. She also gave me the bits she didn't use (including the cord) which I will bury at some stage.

So far (I'm only 2 weeks post partum) I am feeling great, although my baby is a bit of a sleeper (unlike my first baby!), so I am getting a reasonable amount of sleep too. But I have to say that my energy levels and mood have been much better than after the birth of my first child. I know many things could be contributing to this, but I feel the placenta capsules are assisting.

I decided to consume the placenta for the reduced depression benefits, as well as to assist to increase my breastmilk supply.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12