Thread: Planting DDs Placenta

Default Planting DDs Placenta

Hi all!
    I've finally thought I should get off my bum and do this..
    So I want to plant DD's placenta =)

I know NOTHING about gardening...NADDA!

so I guess firstly, can I just pick any tree I like, or are the certain ones that would be better?

and how would I do it? I have googled a little, and I do plan on doing it really deep (cause I am worried about it getting dug up...)

any help would be appreciated!!

Is it your house T? If you're renting I would suggest buying a big pot and planting it in there so you can take it and your tree/plant with you.

I would go for something like a Tallow or a beautiful weeping standard rose if you're putting it in the ground, or a weeping Japanese Maple (I have one potted and its beautiful) or maybe cumquat tree if you're potting.

I wouldn't go too deep because then whatever you plant won't get the benefit of its nutrients.

Did you end up encapsulting some?

potting seems like the way to go, it is our house but we might not stay here forever. plus would be safer from our dog (even tho will still be away from him)

no i didnt =( basically i was too exhausted and busy to do it myself and no one around me would do it for me. by time i had the energy to do it it seemed too late and not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teirae View Post
    no i didnt =( basically i was too exhausted and busy to do it myself and no one around me would do it for me. by time i had the energy to do it it seemed too late and not worth it.
    That's a shame. Maybe next time ;-)

if you are going to put it in a pot, maybe plant it for awhile and allow it to break down abit before planting a plant cos i have heard it can be too strong and burn some plants.

also watching for tips, cos DS' is still in freezer.

I have heard they are good for roses.

A rose might be nice, cause it will reflect her name...

plus they have special 'rose of the year' things dont they, and different roses mean stuff.. hmm.. that might work I'll have to look into it =)

we got a very very large pot and planted DD's placenta under a Magnolia Little Gem (somewhat apt for her name!)

we were thinking of a rose, but just figured roses are our "all the time" plant, so went with something new

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

i still have bilby's placenta, unplanted (still frozen) and she will be six in Nov!!!

Last time i researched this topic, i know i found stuff, but have forgotten most of it.

the only thing i remember (i think), is to put the placenta in the soil, for six months, BEFORE you put the plant in, to give the placenta time to break down into the soil. But my memory is not perfect, so if you have found info to the contrary - please tell. Cos i gotta do it SOMETIME. I have no idea how i would even transport a half wine barrel to my place. Would love to plant a purple weeping vine (her name means purple).

ok, more questions!

do I thaw it out before I plant it? or keep it frozen? does it matter?
    and, do I do it in one big piece? or should I cut it into smaller pieces?

we put it in the pot frozen, in a lump as is.

BG ~ did you do it at the same time as you planted the tree? or did you plant it a few months before

we did it at same time - we moved house, bought pots for fruit trees and the magnolia, and did it all at once - never heard about letting it break down before. we put rocks (to aid drainage), soil, placenta, soil, plant (and then soil around it)