Thread: Retained Placenta

Question Retained Placenta

I retained my placenta after the birth of my 2nd child and had to have it manually removed, not something I want to be consious for ever again lol. Everything I have read says it will re-occur with every birth from here on and need to be removed manually, or to have a C section delivery. Does anybody know anything more about this, or have their own experiences they want to share. We want another baby in about 1.5-2 years time but Im scared to do go through all that pain again

I don't know what you are reading but it's wrong. Yes, once you have a retained placenta you do have a slightly higher chance of having it happen again, but it is only still only a minimal risk. I had one with my 3rd birth and also had to have it manually removed under a general anaesthetic, and it was a concern with my 4th pg, but it didn't happen. There are things that you can do to reduce the chances of it happening, like delaying the cutting of the cord and letting your body's natural oxytocics do the job (although trying to get a Dr to agree to let you do this after you have already had one is like pushing poo uphill as they will tell you it is a load of rubbish, but it isn't - there is an article on the main BB site about this). But there will be a few women who have this happen with each birth, but considering that you had your first child with no problems I would say it was just a once off like it was for me.

And you don't have to have a c/section birth to avoid it either - that is quite frightening that you've read that actually. That's like saying we need to cut off your nose incase it gets blocked.

How long did they wait until it was decided you had a 'retained placenta'?

In homebirth circles, it is really common to hear of women waiting quite a few hours for the placenta to come, no-one panics, and nature takes its course.

I really think hospitals panic far too much about placentas, and if you have a physiological third stage, it's usually just fine to wait it out, as long as there is no abnormal bleeding etc...

My first one took about 1.5 hours, second was faster, but I've heard really amazing stories of them taking many many hours with absolutely no problems, sometimes they just take a while to come.

Well said Trillian and Cyathea.
    Most hospitals start to get concerned if you have not birthed your placenta within 20 minutes or so. This is not a retained placenta it is impatient obs/midwives or obs/midwives who do not know any better. If you have a physiological third stage it can take a number of hours for your placenta to birth

Smile ~

Thanks for that. I was hoping for information like that. I didnt have a general, or anything when they removed the placenta so it was an ordeal to say the least. You have given my mind some peace and removed some of the fear surrounding another birth and we all know that fear is the worst thing you can have when in labour.

Default shopping around

They waited about 45 mins, massage and slight pulling, then they went got the head doctor who said removal. I think next time we will go else where for the birth. It was the only "english" speaking hospital avalilble and now we look back think they are not a good place to go. cut the cord staright away- even I had said not to, didnt give me baby, left him wrapped on the weigh machine, even though I had said I wanted my baby. I suspect the early cord cutting, lack of baby/breast feeding had something to do with the placenta not exiting "on time" the 1st 1 took 35mins, next baby we will not allow the med staff to bully us with no good reason. Was an expensive place to dam it! LOL. The C section comment is probably just a ploy to make MORE $ for them. Thanks for all the input. greatly appreciated

Wow, usually they will make the call after 1 hour! That's scary they were so impatient. I have to agree that lack of nipple stimulation would/could have contributed, and tugging on the cord is never a good idea, and yes, if you delay the cord clamping, a lot more blood can drain out of the placenta, making it easier to come out.

Something to keep in mind next time is even if bub isn't actively nursing, you can always stimulate your own nipples, or get your partner to do it...

I'm very glad to hear you would go elsewhere next time!

That's interesting, I hadn't read about the slight chance of retained placenta once it's already happened (happened twice, with hemorrhaging here).
    Did you even have gas when they removed the placenta? I'm glad you will put your foot down more firmly next time!