Thread: VBAC + epidural question

Default VBAC + epidural question

Is it true you cannot have an epidural whilst attempting a VBAC????????

It's recommended that you don't because then you won't be able to feel if the scar is rupturing or not.

HTH

I asked my OB about this last week as we want to go for a VBAC this time. She is fine with me having an epi - I asked if that was risky due to me not feeling the rupture and she said no that she would be monitoring me anyway and that there are other ways of knowing if you are/have ruptured. I dont plan on having an epi but will if it means I can keep going with the labour.

My OB said they wouldnt do most things, buut I was welcome to have an epi if I wanted one.

I had an epi and a VBAC. Initially (before I found BB) I was going to have another Caesar and the ob said to me I was a prime candidate for a VBAC and if I was worried about the pain I could have an epi. I was still going to have a Caesar then I found BB and the rest is history But I did have an epi, I went for about 4 hours then thought bugger this and had an epi.

It was bliss, it was an infusion and I could still wiggle my toes and fell the contractions - they felt like butterflies in my tummy! When it was time to push, I pushed and out she popped - it was that easy and I didn't tear. DH and I also fell asleep for a couple of hours and got some much needed rest.

Obviously you have to research and work out what is best for you, but I had a very positive experience with a VBAC and an epi

I should clarify my earlier post (sorry was leaving and had to be brief).

You CAN have an epidural and be monitored.

I preferred to elect NOT to have an epidural so that my monitoring would be limited and I wouldn't be strapped to a bed.

I wanted an active birth - and that did not include being strapped to a bed.

If you want an active birth - no epidural