Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with the placenta?

Default What to do with the placenta?

My midwife has said they don't take the placenta away. So how do i get rid of it? I'm not interested in burying it and i don't want it hanging around my freezer for too long. So what do i do? Cause i know you can't just throw it in the bin.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

they go into a 1 specific bin and then get incinerated.

pmsl, im sure the bin man would enjoy that little surprise heehee

can i ask why you wouldn't want to bury it? some cultures eat it but i couldn't do that, why not inquire around the univeristies and see if they want it for lab research depending how you feel about that....but i think its very weird that the hospital doens't have some way to dispose of it!!!

are you having a home birth antheia? if you are I am pretty sure you would have to bury it just to dispose of it unless your local hospital will take it if you drop it off.

I just got an email from MIL asking if she could have mine WTF???

they do dispose of them by incineration, the bin is a different colour so that nothing else gets put in there.

Hehe, put it up on ebay....I'm sure there'd be a lot of interest! Ha. You'd certainly make the papers.

Burying it (deep!) would be my suggestion too. Get your DH to dig a hole and get your DD to pick a nice tree to plant on top of it perhaps? A special link between her and her new bro/sis?

[QUOTE=chocolatecatty;1425063]Hehe, put it up on ebay....I'm sure there'd be a lot of interest! Ha. You'd certainly make the papers.

LOL OMG what a classic!!!!!!!!!!!! there is always weird and wonderful things on ebay!!!

A little fun fact for you..

The ancient egyptians believed that the placenta carried magical powers. The placenta of the Pharoah was placed on a pole and carried into battle - making the placenta history's first ever flag!!

Quote Originally Posted by amysarah85 View Post
    A little fun fact for you..

The ancient egyptians believed that the placenta carried magical powers. The placenta of the Pharoah was placed on a pole and carried into battle - making the placenta history's first ever flag!!
    i will never be able to look at a flag the same

you can have a painting made with it!!! there is an artisit that takes your placenta rolls it in paint and throws it on a canvas, the print it leaves is your artwork but again dont know what they do with it after!

Yes sorry forgot to say i am having a homebirth! I don't want to bury it because our dog would dig it up. I'm not that interested in having a tree on it or in a pot plant.

We buried our DD's placenta (about 1 meter down) on my mother's farm and planted a lemon scented gum over it. I love the idea that my placenta has lived on within the tree (which has thrived BTW). I often think of the law of physics: energy can neither be created nor destroyed, it only changes form.

I wasn't so keen on planting my second two placentas. It was mainly just my first that I felt the need to preserve. I don't think they even asked me if I wanted them (hospital births). They asked me what i was going to do with my first because I had my DD at a birth centre and i don't think they disposed of them there either.

ETA: if you buried it about a meter down surely your dog couldn't reach it??? Maybe put something heavy over the top of it for a while?

yer given that you're having a home birth i would phone the local hospital and ask what your options are, even if they cant take it they might be able to suggest a place to 'send' it, or a pathology company....

The problem you have with dogs is that when ever it rains any animal/human product lets off a smell that comes to the surface and the dog would think it is highly inviting.

Good luck with what ever you choose.

OMG doubledee, your MIL wants your placenta!

Quote Originally Posted by DANNIIM View Post

OMG doubledee, your MIL wants your placenta!
    i'm feeling very scared. she ate all 4 of hers (all respect to people who choose to do this but eeeewwww!!!!)

I am hoping she wants to use it to plant an oak tree or something but I'm not sure how to respond to this so I am ignoring it at the moment.... i don't want to offend her ...lol

Maybe she does wanna eat it lmao! It is a very rich source of iron. But yeah i couldn't do it myself, blerk :P

OMG I never thought about this but eating it!!! Ewwwh! (sorry)!
    DoubleDee- Have you told your DH that his mum wants your placenta?

Alibaby - I haven't told him yet .... it's not like I can just go over dinner "by the way bub your mum asked if she can have part of my uterus ... pass the salt will ya" PMSL!

interesting fact for you that the placenta isnt actually part of the mum...its the babies it has the same DNA as the baby(which yes has 1/2 the mums)

so Dee really your MIL wants your babies placenta....

Antheia what have you decided to do with your placenta?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast