Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to do with the placenta?

I am so glad you confirmed it was a home birth.

I was having visions of my dr in the hos, coming up to me with the placenta and saying, "Here is your placenta. We have gift wrapped it for ease of cartage." So there's me with brand new DS in one arm and brand new placenta in the other. If was confused about what to do with the DS, I would be more confused about what on Earth to do with the placenta.

I would be really confused about what to do with it at a home birth. You can't really just through it in the bin - although....... why couldn't you? See.... a quandry. The whole dog problem presents more issues. The last thing you want is them running around the yard with it. That's kind of weird.

I would be interested to know what you decide to do with it.

i know this is an old thread, but wow... i think that's a bit unusual. you'd think that they'd incinerate it, or use for medical research stuff for the nursing students.

It was fine. My midwife took it anyway.

I think the placenta is so fascinating!! I asked could I look at it and touch the umbilical cord after DD was born..... it's amazing!! That kept DD alive!! incredible.....
    DH brought it home and buried it in a huge pot that now has a beautiful dwarf mandarin tree growing from it. (his choice). However... I am yet to eat the fruit from it tee heee hee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12