Thread: *TMI* Thrush in 3rd trimester

Default *TMI* Thrush in 3rd trimester

Not sure if anyone has had a similar experience - I had my swab last week for Strep B, and the results came back with Strep G (but thats another story!) and also quite high levels of thrush bacteria.

My OB told me to use Canasten pessaries - once a week for 3 weeks (I'm 36 weeks atm). I've only ever used the oral tablet before, so inserting the pessary was a very new and odd experience.

My rather long winded explanation leads to the question of whether I should or shouldn't be able to feel the pessary once inserted?

I've found that I am (maybe TMI) quite tight downstairs (DTD with DH can be quite painful sometimes) so I used the applicator to the point before it hurt to go any further, but now I can still feel the pessary. Will it work if not inserted far enough?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I'm not a huge fan of over the counter thrush treatments - because there is an underlying problem and its a bandaid fix. Its likely your body is too acidic (as well as being pregnant) and in that environment thrush thrives.

Here's some stuff you can do at home and now:

Thrush During Pregnancy - Why You Are More Prone To Thrush
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

I don't get thrush often at all but natural yoghurt (inserted into vagina) has always worked a treat. Eating yoghurt and or taking a good probiotic really helps too.

I hope you get some relief soon

PS I'm not sure how far up it (yoghurt or creams) needs to be inserted but I would think anything is better than nothing.

Thanks for the article link. I think also with my GD, I'm still working to keep my sugar levels under control.

I do take inner health plus, and would prefer to control thrush as naturally as possible, being so close to the end of my pregnancy I'm willing to take the chemist route for now.

I just hope I'm using it properly

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Ahhh. Thrush loves sugar. Have you tried pushing it up further with your finger?

Good luck!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

I have early symptoms of thrush! The itching is driving me nuts!! I am 39 weeks. I want to try the garlic tonight. My concern is I am already 2 - 3 cm dilated will this pose a problem?

I had a similar problem and i started taking inner health plus capsules. My infection cleared up in a few days and has stayed away