Thread: 35 weeks pregnant, massive boil/cysty thingy..so painful!

Default 35 weeks pregnant, massive boil/cysty thingy..so painful!

3 days ago I noticed a sore swelling in the crease of my leg, between my outer labia and thingh, right where my knickers sit, I left it alone, hoping it would just go away, yesterday it was bigger, painful and obviously pus/fluid filled, this morning I am in tears trying to walk, its HUGE, so painful and I cant sit, stand, lay anywhere without there being pressure on it.

I'm thinking of going to the gp to see what they can do about it, but I probably wont be able to see anyone for a day or two, should I

a) just ring the gp and bear it until I get seen
    b) ring the womens/maternity clinic, see if they have any suggestions..
    c) go to emergency? (not really keen on this, waiting around in pain, not really an emergency etc.. but this what we did when DF had one years ago in his butt crack...)

just not sure on best plan of action being pregnant and all and scared of infection and in so much pain...
    help please..

Default Re: 35 weeks pregnant, massive boil/cysty thingy..so painful!

Go and see your gp, it sounds like a gland has gotten inflamed and needs treatment to stop the pain

Sorry just saw that you can't see the gp today, call the maternity unit and they might be able to get someone to see you sooner

I would do b, then a, unless b advises to do c.

If it needs to be lanced, it'd probably be better to do it now so it can heal before labour - I'm just imagining trying to be active and walking during labour and that extra pain is not something you need! I've not had one myself before so can't offer any advice for relief, but I hope someone comes in with some help for you

Have you tried applying heat to the area? A hot face washer might be enough to bring it to a head & it might drain itself.
    Next option would be maternity or gp.

Hope you get some relief soon x

Thanks guys, I rang the GP, can get in at 3pm.... had a hot bath, and checked it out with a mirror, ewwww.. looks like it has a head but I really dont want to touch it or make it worse.
    I know everything I have read says to put hot compresses on it, but I am sitting here in an old pair of DF's jox (so they dont rub) with icypoles on it...the relief is so good, heat just makes it hurt more

I got them each pregnancy, magnoplasm and a dressing on overnight should help draw it out. A hot face washer can help too. The dr/emergency dept can drain it and give you antibiotics if needed.

I've had several drained. The relief is almost instant. Hope you got some help at the GP.

you poor thing! I hope you were able to get some relief I have suffered with these off and on for over 4 years. worst thing you can do is squeeze it yourself. doing so pushes the infection further down and creates tracts where the infection can lie dormant until another flare up. best thing is to get it lanced by a medical person or let it burst and drain on it's own keeping it covered to minimise contamination of the surrounding skin and changing the dressing regularly to minimise reinfection. also try and use an antibacterial body wash. These kind of boils are usually caused by staph (which live on skin normally causing no issues). I had to go on long term (6+ months) high dose antibiotics to get it under control! (that's why I mentioned not squeezing it - I did and it created huge problems for me )

how did you go at the docs starrysky?

Thanks for the info, it ended up bursting on its own not long after my last post, I jumped in the shower and cleaned it up, got some dettol on it and dressed it, the relief wad almost instant! Have just been letting it drain, keeping it clean etc, got it checked yestetday at my hospital appt. The mws didn't seem too worried about it. .. have been showering twice a day and change dressing / dettol etc... the swrlling has all but gone now, so hopefully its on the mrnd... urghh its so gross though. Never had anything like it before...

ohh yaaay!! glad you got some relief yeah they're horrible!!!