Thread: Garlic to Treat GBS (Group B Strep)

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Garlic to Treat GBS (Group B Strep)

Garlic to Treat GBS - from Ronnie Falc?o's Midwife Archives

Using garlic to kill Vaginal GBS

It is difficult to get rid of GBS because it recolonizes the vagina easily, probably from the intestines. Doctors have developed a way to decrease GBS colonization at birth, to protect the baby on her way out, with a large dose of Penicillin in the veins which must be given 4 hours before birth.

Since garlic also kills GBS, perhaps Garlic may be able to prevent newborn GBS disease by using it directly in the vagina in the weeks before birth. Fresh cut or crushed Garlic kills GBS for an hour or two after being cut. Garlic may have less side effects than Penicillin in preventing GBS. 10% of people are allergic to Penicillin, whereas garlic causes allergic reactions about 1 in 100,000 people. Garlic to pregnant women lowers their blood pressure.(1,2,3,4) To date, no studies have found harmful effects of oral garlic in pregnancy. Each study found garlic to have a protective effect in pregnancy.

I am collecting results from women around the world thru email. Women in many countries are routinely cultured towards the end of pregnancy for GBS. If the results are positive? when labor starts, the doctor orders 2 million units of Penicillin as a first dose and then 1 million units every 4 hours.

1 in about 5,000 women will have life long kidney damage from an allergic reaction to the Penicillin. Alternatives to penicillin are not nearly as effective in protecting the baby from GBS. Approximately 1 full term baby per 2000-5000 will be saved by the antibiotics.

When Garlic is inserted vaginally for 8 nights it will convert a large percentage of women who previously cultured positive(+) to GBS negative(-), if the culture is taken immediately after the last day of treatment.

Garlic cloves differ in their amount of active, anti-microbial ingredient, called "allicin". The active ingredient is released upon cutting or crushing the clove. The active ingredient is toxic to GBS as well as yeast and cancer cells. If a woman has damaged vaginal skin inserting garlic may result in a burning sensation when the garlic touches the lips, but usually stops when it is inserted inside.

Just as antibiotics have bad side effects, it seems logical that garlic also has side effects. This study proposes to test an alternative to antibiotics, but does not promise results. That?s why it is a study!

Garlic protocol:

Break a fresh, dry, hard clove from a bulb of garlic and peel off the paper-like cover. Cut in half. A whole clove will NOT work. A crushed clove releases more allicin, but is harder to insert. Sew a string thru it for easy retrieval. Putting the clove in gauze will prevent direct contact and decrease effectiveness.

Put damaged garlic clove in your vagina in the evening before you go to sleep. Many women taste garlic in their mouths as soon as it is in their vagina- so it is less pleasant to treat while awake.

In the morning, the garlic may come out when you poop. If not, many women find it is easiest to take it out on the toilet. Circle the vagina with a finger, till you find it. It cannot enter the uterus through the cervix. It cannot get lost- but it can get pushed into the pocket between the cervix and the vaginal wall.

Most people will taste the garlic as long as it is in there. So if you still taste it, it is probably still in there. Most women have trouble getting it out the first time.

For easy retrieval sew a string through the middle of the clove before you put it in- You dont want to get irritated in the process of getting rid of the GBS. Be gentle. Dont scratch yourself with long nails. Repeat this for 8 nights (around week 36). Or for 2 nights on, 1 night off, for 5 times (8 nights in 15 days)

After the eight night of treatment, get cultured at the health care place you go to. Before you go to get the culture, wash perineum and rectal area with soap and put on clean cotton underwear. GBS usually lives in your large intestine, and from there contaminates the vagina. A Rectal/Vaginal culture is done with a cotton swab inserted into the vagina and then into the anus.

When women are treated with antibiotics, the GBS returns soon after antibiotics regime is finished. The same is probably true with garlic. Therefore, if you culture positive and then use garlic to get a negative culture, you might consider inserting garlic once a week until you deliver the baby.

The level of garlic "smell" is a very poor indication of the real amount of
    allicin (active ingredient) that is generated. The olfactory receptors of the average person are so sensitive that even 1 mg of allicin molecules in the air will saturate the receptors so our nose and seem the same as 100 mg.

Allicin is gradually produced in the crushed clove for about 2 hours after the clove is damaged and simultaneously degraded. Once in contact with the mucosa or bacteria it degrades rapidly. No one knows how long it can be active when in contact with mucosa.

Bacteria are about 30 times more sensitive to allicin than human cells but at high concentrations also human cells suffer so use smaller amounts of crushed garlic with more frequent changes.

If you decide to try this protocol, please email me with as much information as possible: [email protected] and put GBS in the subject line:

1. History of GBS on previous pregnancy or is this your first pregnancy?

2.Garlic treatment= ___ nights? Half clove? Full clove?

3.Date of culture- was it urine culture? recto-vaginal swab? Vaginal culture?

4.Results of culture after garlic treatment.

5. please describe any adverse/untoward events

I will publish the results as soon as I have the results of 300 women who have used the protocol. No personal identification information would be kept ? your information will be combined with others and hopefully published in tabulated form in a medical journal, so that future patients would benefit from your efforts.

References:

www.cdc.gov/mmwr/PDF/RR/RR5111.pdf

http:

References:

1. Prevention of fumonisin-induced maternal and developmental toxicity in rats by certain plant extracts. J Appl Toxicol Nov-Dec 2004;24(6):469-74.

2. Emergence of Long-Term Memory for Conditioned Aversion in the Rat Fetus. Dev Psychobio 2004; 44: 189?198.

3. Protective effects of garlic juice against embryotoxicity of methylmercuric chloride administered to pregnant Fischer 344 rats. Yonsei Med J. 1999;40(5):483-9.

4. The effect of garlic on plasma lipids and platelets in primips with high risk of preeclampsia. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2001 Dec 1;99(2):201-6.

PS. In case you were wondering: Garlic ingestion by pregnant women alters the odor of amniotic fluid. Chem Senses. 1995 Apr;20(2):207-9.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

very interesting!
    Not sure how many women I talk to will be open to putting garlic up them though...but I am interested to read your results.

also on a side note, just as a point of interest, probably not relevant at all... but there is currently a shortage (atleast in nsw) of benzilpenicillin, which is the number 1 prefered and most effective antibiotic used to protect bub from gbs. and as of a few weeks ago I think that shortage actually got worse and 'benpen' is non exsistant. So they are using Ampicillin, which is still effective, but not as effective and basically the best they have without the benpen.

I would also volunteer for you.. but I'm stearing towards not even getting a swap done. But if I do decide to get the swab done and if it is pos, I will let you know =)

addit ~ do we know if it affects the other bacteria in the vagina (the normal flora)? I have heard of garlic being used for thrush, so in terms of vagina health etc.. it is safe?

I already have an article on BB about treating thrush this way, and lots of people including myself have tried it with great success, even just an overnight application. Love the stuff, works a treat and is natural!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

Iv read a lot about using garlic in the vagina for GBS .. Do you think that the garlic kills the bacteria and makes a true negative , or do you believe it only gives a false negative result when you could e still positive ?

Given that it can make a massive difference to thrush overnight, gone in a day or two, I think it kills it.
    Kelly xx

I tested positive to GBS , I have a re test swap in about two weeks so I will update then

Didn't work :/

Bugger! How many nights did you do the garlic for?
    Kelly xx

I understand most woman are tested around 36 weeks for GSB. I elected to not be tested as I learned while it may be present at 36 weeks it may not be present at birth and vice versa so I thought what was the point. I took the approach that if I had other risk factors during labour like waters breaking 12+ hours before, if I had a fever or a premmie delivery then I would talk with my caregiver about possibly having ABs during labour. I just figured the test wasn't going to be particularly helpful and may just raise unnecessary anxieties. Also I read minimising VEs can possibly reduce the chance of getting GSB in the first place.

On another note I think the odds of a severe reaction to penicillin in prophylactic treatment of GBS are probably rarer than stated in the article. Using only the the articles stated statistics if 10% of people are allergic means 1:10 women and then 1:5000 chance of having a reaction means 1 in 50000 women may have a severe reaction and this figure would be even higher if you take into consideration that a fair proportion of women in the developed world would already know they are allergic by adulthood and hence not use Penicillin as a treatment. This is in comparison to the stated 1 in 2000-5000 babies will be saved by Penicillin - I'm presuming they are referring to all babies not just those of women allergic to PC.

I think there is nothing wrong with using garlic as a prophylactic or treatment in the lead up to labour, wish I'd read about it before, but there is still the chance of reinfection, it still being present or infection in those that tested negative.

The Ob for my first two births took that approach dusty. He said because it is transient, he'd wait until labour and if a risk factor presented, he'd do it. He said its one of those things that goes in and out of fashion - you dont hear about it much and doctors dont stress about it too much. But from time to time a case will come up so they'll start again until time goes on again. There are bigger issues going on at birth, I think, than routine GBS testing. Unnecessary antibiotics are no good for mum or baby.

Kelly xx