Thread: GBS positive

Default GBS positive

I just found out I tested positive for GBS. Now, I know I will need IV antibiotics when I go into labour, which is no problem at all for me. But I just want to know if anything else changes for me. What else, if anything, about my labour will be different?

hi!
    nothing else changes. you will need an ivc (canula) in throughout your labour tho, as you get the ivab every 6hrs.

in saying that, it is still something you can choose not to have if you want. if you need it all explained properly let me know or get your gp or midwife to discuss it woth you properly.

I replied in our July thread already, but here are a couple of links for you:

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...stions-191578/

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...-strep-178024/

Nothing else should be different for you, apart from sometimes they request you going in to the hospital earlier than you might have planned. Leaving the comfort of your home too early can slow your progress, which can lead to other interventions. Or you could be completely fine!

Thanks peeks, i couldn't remember if any of you girls tested positive and I was too lazy to scroll back!

Tasha, I tested positive way back at 21 weeks. I did a heap of research into the side effects for mum and bub and the actual risk of bub getting sick (its teeny tiny- its more likely bub will pick it up from the hospital than their mum) I could bump the thread for you? I think it may have bewn cinders thread :-)

Thanks Cazz, I think cinder sent me the links

I was positive too. I chose to have the antibiotics and that was it. Everything was fine.

My midwife always suggests getting tested again at 39 weeks because it can come and go so you might not actually need abx if its no longer present.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
    My midwife always suggests getting tested again at 39 weeks because it can come and go so you might not actually need abx if its no longer present.
    ^^^ Yep!
    I think its about a 2 week time frame you are looking at with GBS So if you test positive that early you may not closer to your EDD. You are also entitled, should you choose, to do vaginal douches during labour if you do not want an IV or as previously said, nothing at all.
    GBS is one of those things that you might have this pregnancy but not next time