Thread: Group G Strep?

Default Group G Strep?

I've just had my swab for group B strep, which came back negative, but I did test positive for group G strep. Has anyone else been through this, or can anyone give me more info? I know it will most likely be treated with antibiotics during labour, but that's about the extent of my knowledge, and google is just confusing..!

Strep bacteria can be obtained by swabbing the back of the throat, the vagina, the rectum, or the infected area with a piece of sterile cotton. A blood sample can also be taken. Microscopic examination of the smear can identify which type of bacteria has been collected. A rapid strep test may be done to test for step throat infection. This kind of test gives results within the hour. A sample may also be sent to a lab for traditional culturing, which takes from one to two days, because this form of testing is more accurate than the rapid strep test.

I dont know much about it but as far as I know you do need antibiotics in labour as it can be bad if passed onto bub. Though that being said, I think the risk of passing it onto bub is extreamly unlikley.

I didnt even know there was a Strep G... I thought Strep B was it..