Thread: For those who have tested positive to Group B Strep.....some advice please.

Unhappy For those who have tested positive to Group B Strep.....some advice please.

What did you do? Did you get a second test done two weeks later? And if you did, did that test come up negative? Did you have the AB's during labour? And how were they given?

My MW told me today when she rang that I've tested + to group B strep and that she'll discuss it all with me Monday at my next appointment.... so I'm researching all about it!
    Last pregnancy I tested neg so didn't have to worry.

Bit unsure what to do, take the AB's or not..... read an article Kelly posted here on BB about it and that the AB's don't really do much to make a difference in the baby getting it or not??

Advice please. At this stage, I'm thinking I will get a 2nd test done in 2 weeks time (38.5 weeks) and if that comes back negative then I won't worry about getting AB's.....but then what if I don't and something happens to the baby

I tested +ve with DS and had the ABs. Between my waters breaking and DS being born, I had at least 6 doses and I think you only need 2. DS did end up in neonates having his own ABs, but that was because if was assessed by the paeds at birth as his breathing was a bit funny, he therefore had a blood test, and it threw up a marker so precautionary ABs were given. When the head paed saw him the next day, and found out that I had at least 6 doses (and not the 1 they thought I had) he told them to stop the ABs. He did end up with a nasogastric tube as because he was in neonates they like them to feed quite often and he'd gone 6hours without a feed, but I still managed to get a couple of feeds in whilst he had it in, and so I don't think the ABs or the nasogastric tube caused him any feeding difficulties. I just went with the ABs as I thought you had to have them, next time, I think I might refuse
    This probably doesn't help you but that was my experience. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will give you a better answer!

Thanks for responding SammyRo. Was your DS born early or on time? They say there is a higher risk for the bubs born before term.

The more I read, it seems E Coli in hospitals is more of a danger to newborns than this Group B strep anyway.....

I tested + with dd2 but -'ve with dd1.
    I had one dose of AB when i first arrived at hossy and had my waters broken. No problems, no infections and healthy baby. I really didn't know much about it though...

How do they give the AB's? Is it penicillin you had?? And how was it administered? IV in the hand??

Quote Originally Posted by Shanti View Post
    How do they give the AB's? Is it penicillin you had?? And how was it administered? IV in the hand??
    Mine were IV in the hand - I think it was penicillian - I can't remember exactly. I had to stay for 24hrs after the birth just to make sure all was ok.

I tested positive and had 2 doses of Antibiotics. They were administered after my waters had been broken and they were given through the IV in my hand.

I was GBS +ve. I had one dose of ABs through the canula in my hand - that was all we had time for.

My waters broke at 36 weeks and labour began spontaneously - I'd only had the GBS test late the afternoon before hand so my results weren't in. The hospital had to run around and rush to get the results to find out, and Sam arrived around one hour after the ABs were given.

He was in SCN, but not because of the GBS, all because he was early. They monitored his temperature and mine closely, but we had no issues.

BW

DS was born at 38wks, I had PROM almost 30 hours before he was born (hence why I had so much time for 6 doses lol)
    I remember with DD, when I also had PROM, my mw was happy for me to go 4days as long as I checked my temp every 4 hours, but then again I wasn't GBS+ that time.

I tested positive with DD1, heavy growth. My waters broke before contractions so I was in straight away. They give them through a canula in your hand which I didn't feel at all (nor later when I tore it out) because who notices when you're in labour ay . I believe they give them every 4 hours or so through labour especially once your waters are broken since that's the highest infection time. I only needed the one dose as only had 4 hour labour with DD1. My mums waters broke before her birth with both my brothers, and both got severe respiratory infections attributed to that time and were in the SCN for a couple of weeks. These days the AB's would likely have prevented that in her cases, though probably like everything these days in most cases it wouldn't matter KWIM. I was negative with DD2 so did nothing.

i was negative with DS1 but was positive with DS2 and i had one dose of antibiotics through a canula in my hand during labour and that was it!!!

I tested GSB +ve at 36 weeks. I have has two short labours so my MW knew there wouldn?t be time to get any ABs into me during labour. Sure enough my labour was less than an hour. My waters broke 3 mins before birth, so really low-risk in terms of transmission to bubs anyway. I just stayed in hospital (at the birth centre) for 10 hours instead of 4 so they could monitor bubs. All was fine.

i tested positive with ds1. had the iv through my hand. no drama whatsoever- i stayed in the hospy for 6 days anyway as it was a private hospital. all was fine in the end,

Thanks for your stories everyone, I appreciate it.

So, if my waters break at home before contractions start, does that mean I will need to head straight in to hospital????? I'd rather not, want to labour at home as long as I can (like I did last time)....

Also, didn't any of you ask for a 2nd GBS test to be done incase it came up negative?? I've heard stories of the 2nd test being negative therefore no AB's given?? I'm so confused as to what to do

Shanti, I test +ve also, and my waters broke at 36+3, I rang the hospy and they told me to come in asap due to the +ve Group B strep.
    My waters broke about 2pm (slow leak) and I was in the labour ward by 330pm. I had a couple of doses of ABs (penicillin in my hand), and as my contractions were very mild, I was induced with syntocin about 8pm, full on labour kicked in at 9pm and DS was born at 11:12pm so it was all VERY quick.
    I'd only had my test a couple of days before, but I understand that seeing as the test is routinely done around 36 weeks, if you go full term or even just a few weeks later, the infection may no longer be in your system.
    My understanding is that once your waters have broken bubs is at risk of the Group B strep, so likely you need to head into hospital sooner rather than later, but check with your health care professionals recommendations