Thread: Varicose Veins "down there"

Default Varicose Veins "down there"

This is really embarrassing but has anyone ever had varicose veins on their vulva when pregnant / after giving birth? Is there anyway of getting relief?

I haven't had it confirmed by GP or midwife (seeing m/w next tues, GP the tues after) but after researching on google I think that's what's going on - if I sit to long, or stand to long my vagina feels full of pressure & after DTD or doing number twos I feel very swollen (particularly on the right). I guess I could get DP to have a look cos goodness knows I can no longer see down there without a mirror! Or is this pressure normal & I've become a drama queen??

I'm 21 wks if that makes a difference.

I had vericose veins down there. They ran on either side of my vulva where the hair grows. They were the size of my thumb and at least 8-10cm long.

I had them so bad after 3 pg they didnt go away so I ended up having surgery about 3years ago to get them removed as they hurt all the time. I had two incisions the length of both veins either side the damaged veins removed and tied at the ends. I ended up with about 20 stitches. TBH the surgery was so so painful but in the long run worth it.

I have been told though they may come back were the vein ends with another pg but I'm happy to take that risk. I wouldn't be TTC if I still had them.

I had my surgery done public as well. From initial referral from GP to surgery was only 6 months so they were pretty bad.

Oh Beatrix that sounds terrible!! I have no other words.

It was but it's fine now. Surgery while painful was worth it.

I was scared I would get them back with my last pg but luckily I didn't.

I had them and so did a lot of my friends. I think mine were worse between 20 and 30 weeks than later, but my best friend had hell for the last 10 weeks of her pregnancy, i think hers were worse than mine, mine were only one side. Another friend said she felt and looked like she had testicles lol.

I got SRC pregnancy shorts which support the area.They helped.

After birth I put compresses of witchhazel on and they went quickly.

p.s. its not a pretty sight so maybe check yourself first before sending dh down there.

I had them with my third early on. They got bad from about 25weeks until birth but disappears basically within a few days after birth. I had some sharp stabbing pains and it didn't help that the extra blood flow was a little too good for the libido and DTD just made them 1000 times worse :/
    2 years on I am still normally down there and despite having veins in the front end I am fortunately to have never had a roid

I had one this time 'round. Ouuuuuch. As weird as it is, freezing your bits, ice helps. My midwife gave me the little frozen gel packets that you can tuck into a pad and when it got really hurty that gave some relief. It was also heaps better with the SRC shorts on and trying to limit standing for long periods. A week after birth and it's gone.

Oh the un-glamorous parts of pregnancy eh?! Good luck!

Thank you ladies, you have all made me feel normal!

And Saffy ROFL about getting DP to check things out for me!