Thread: Can Anyone Help With Trisomy Recurrence

Default Can Anyone Help With Trisomy Recurrence

After an normal pregnancy delivering in 2005, I have just had my third loss in a row. Trisomy 15. Does anyone know what my chances might be of having a normal pregnancy after two losses due to two different trisomies?

As you can see by my signature I am age 38 and I am concerned this is due to failing egg quality. Both DH and I have had our karotypes tested and we are normal.

We are consulting with our OB on this, but would be interested to hear from anyone who knows anything about this.

Thanks

Last edited by Where there's hope; August 16th, 2008 at 02:56 PM. Reason: left out detail

Hi WTH,
    It is a known that egg quality diminishes with age. Those eggs have been in your body all your life and they age just as the rest of our body does. The chances of miscarriage (due to egg quality) rise because of this.

All women have differing ages where their egg quality is significantly affected, some are earlier on and some are later. Just as some of us get crows feet earlier, or arthritis or whatever (trying to illustrate here... )

I think 2 of your three losses have been due to trisomies. You know all about what this means. Trisomies are not exclusive to older women. Age is just one of the factors. I know there have been some studies and trials of high doseage Folate in women with past history's of trisomy - it appears to aid this.

I personally did a lot of research on this - I am 41 and my last daughter was born when I was 40. Folate and B12 as a combination has been proven to affect the dna. I used this and so did my husband for greater than 3 months prior to conception. It takes 3 months for significant dna changes to occur.

IVF can help to avoid this. Using Clomid does not help avoid this - Clomid only helps to insure follicular ripening - what erupts from that follie could be a "good egg" or a "bad" one.

YOu must also consider your husband - the sperm is half of the equation! Does he have an occupation where he is exposed to chemicals? Does he smoke? Does he drink? Is he a pilot? Does he work with petroleum/aircraft fuel?

If you don't want to go down the ivf path the Jocelyn Centre I believe can help many women. The what you can and what you can't is quite extreme but if it works .

Generally though trisomies are thought to be things that do sadly happen... However, I would be leaving no stone unturned given your past experiences and the heartache and pain you have endured.

Big hugs I hope I have helped some.

Hi,
    So sorry for your losses, I don't know much about Trisomy 15 but two years ago my baby was stillborn and he had Trisomy 13. We have gone on to have a healthy baby girl last year. Have you seen a genetic counsellor? We were told the chances of having another Trisomy 13 baby was 1/10,000 but as I said not sure about Trisomy 15.
    I wish you lots of luck and all the best.

Regards,
    Dianne

Hi. Just wanted to let you know that 2 people close to me lost babies to a chromosomal abnormality.
    Both were Trisomy 13.
    My MIL lost her 3rd child & a close friend lost her 1st.
    MIL has had 6 children, no m/c & only the one with Trisomy 13.
    My friend has had 3 children since & has only had the one child affected.

I just wanted to say that to show you that there still may be hope. Both were also very young - 15 & 22.
    I really do hope you can get past it & have the beautiful baby you hope for.
    Last edited by Inanna; August 17th, 2008 at 05:31 PM. Reason: I have pm'd poster

Thanks so much for posting, ladies.

To BJRose and DianneScruffy - it was good to hear your reassuring stories firsthand. Thanks again.

Flowerchild. Thanks again for your wealth and knowledge. I have actually been on a very high dose of folate (5mg) and B12 (1000) since my first loss last year. Mainly because of the research I have read on folate and the B12 because I am a vegetarian. DH is taking 500mg of folic acid on top of his multivitamins and folate-enriched cereal (=800mg). I think the latest I read was a guy needs around 700mg to reduce chromosonal abnormalities. But yes, he works in the motor industry and has been exposed to petroleum/oils all his life. What can I do about this?? Is it too late?? He has not been drinking and does not smoke.

Also, I have not heard of the Jocelyn Centre. Are they based in Australia?

I daresay I do believe my egg quality/age is at the heart of it. I am regretting everything I ever did in my care-free twenties like you would not believe!!!

I am considering embarking on IVF with PGD, even though Trisomy 15 is not one they look for anyway. Awaiting our extended karotyping results in the near future.

WTH x

WTH,
    I know we have had some PM discussions re PGD and I since looked back at Monash IVF info. They test for quite a few more than the "regular" trisomies, including 15. I know the chances of you getting 15 again are probably low and it could be any other trisomy but may help to ease you mind if you got the clinic to add a few more to the test group. They can test for every single chromosome - presumably you would just have to pay whatever extra.
    PS. Have you found anyone else on BB who has actually done PGD? Would be interested to chat with a group contemplating PGD or have done

Hi Meredith D. How you doing?

I haven't pursued things much further in the past few days, other than posting to see if anyone knew about DHEA (apparently improves egg quality) and this post.

I am waiting anxiously for our OB to get back to us. He is running our case by a genetic scientist. We are also awaiting our extended karotyping blood test results (regular test came back normal last year).

You are lucky you are in Melbourne. By memory I think Monash are pioneers in PGD. Sounds like you may now be considering pursuing it. Do keep me up to date.

Take care
    WTH x

Hi WTH

Have you seen a genetic counsellor? I see that your OB is getting advice from a genetic scientist. It might be beneficial for you to see a genetic counsellor or geneticist who can answer your questions and explain any bits you might want explaining.

Take care,

k

Hi K

Yes, I spoke with a genetic counciller. She believes I am having a very bad run of luck. But from what I know so far, the chance of trisomies increase with age. I believe (and I want to be wrong) it is an indication of my egg quality.

My Ob seems to think otherwise. He thinks something genetic is going on, despite our normal karotyping results from last year. We have done some extended tests just to be sure and are awaiting those results.

Thanks
    WTH

Default Question for Where there's hope.

What type of additional tests were done after normal karotyping? My baby has Trisomy 13 via IVF. I am 35 and concerned about my eggs.... Any advice is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Where there's hope View Post
    Hi K

Yes, I spoke with a genetic counciller. She believes I am having a very bad run of luck. But from what I know so far, the chance of trisomies increase with age. I believe (and I want to be wrong) it is an indication of my egg quality.

My Ob seems to think otherwise. He thinks something genetic is going on, despite our normal karotyping results from last year. We have done some extended tests just to be sure and are awaiting those results.

Thanks
    WTH

Hi tryingwithhopes, welcome to BB. My baby Emmanuel had Trisomy 13 and when we had genetic counselling we were told that Trisomy 13 is not a genetic condition, it is chromosonal. If you have any questions at all please feel free to ask.

Regards,
    Dianne

Quote Originally Posted by MeredithD View Post
    WTH,
    I know we have had some PM discussions re PGD and I since looked back at Monash IVF info. They test for quite a few more than the "regular" trisomies, including 15. I know the chances of you getting 15 again are probably low and it could be any other trisomy but may help to ease you mind if you got the clinic to add a few more to the test group. They can test for every single chromosome - presumably you would just have to pay whatever extra.
    PS. Have you found anyone else on BB who has actually done PGD? Would be interested to chat with a group contemplating PGD or have done
    My brother was found to have a translocated gene which is a different situation again. They were in their late 20's when they started IVF I think. Then with further testing they found the translocated gene, and tried a couple of rounds of PGD where the embryo's were sent interstate to Melbourne, yes it was through Monash IVF. They then went on an international adoption waiting list, but then went back to IVF using a donor.

I am not close to my brother and SIL but to the best of my knowledge, get the extra genetic testing done early is my opinion.