Thread: Mtfhr

Question Mtfhr

Hi, I've posted here quite a few times as I have now had 3 missed miscarriages (lucky enough to have a beautiful healthy son born 2005).

After third miscarriage I went to see doctor who is thought to be the bee's knees in London and he ran various blood tests and organised an HSG. All test results back normal (including Factor 2 and Factor 5, Lupus? and aPL). He says I am heterozygous for MTFHR though and has advised high dose folic acid for 6 weeks before trying again. I specifically asked him if I should also take low dose aspirin and he was emphatic that I should not.

I understand all the science behind the high dose folic acid but I am very concerned that everything I have read in the last few days indicates that people in my situation usually take aspirin or heparin. Anyone know any more or had similar experience?

Thanks, J

Hi Janey,
    Welcome to BB and I'm sorry you've found yourself in this forum . I am so very sorry for your losses, life really sucks sometimes. Although I have not had any experience with high dose of folic acid or aspirin or heparin, I hope you find some answers from someone who has. If you're not sure of your doctor's recommendations, have you considered a second opinion from another doctor?
    Beata x

Hi Janey,
    I have had a very early loss and 2 very late losses. I take 81mg aspirin daily and I am on the blood thinner clexane. I do not have mthfr or any other known disorder (I have been tested for just about everything). There were large clots in the placenta when my daughter was born so there is a problem with clotting. I started taking aspirin before we started TTC. There is no harm in taking the low dose aspirin. If you feel like you should be taking it, then do it. My doctor does not give clexane to women that are only heterozygous for mthfr but I do not understand telling you to not take the aspirin. You should talk to a second doctor to ease your mind.

There is a women in the parenting after loss forum that has mthfr and just had a healthy little girl only taking the low dose aspirin.

Hi Janey,

I also have had 3 miscarriages and I have had every test you can think of during my TTC Journey.

In this pregnancy, I am on low dose asprin. The FS said to start taking it and stop at 36 weeks. He said to me that it wont hurt you and apparently it makes the blood flow quicker and makes the uterus more accepting to an embryo. Funny enough I got pregnant first month after starting to take asprin.

Good luck

xxx Sue xxx

Hi Janey,

So sorry to hear about your past losses and I hope you have success in the future.

I have just tested positive to MTHFR also, my FS has me on:

Low dose aspirin daily (100mg)
    Mega folate 5mg/day
    High dose B6 and B12
    Daily injections of Clexane (Heparin) from embryo transfer.

This is the only thing that has ever come up for me as an issue after 4 years TTC, I have never had a positive pregnancy test, and I can only hope that this will make a difference for me.

My only comment would be to perhaps get a second opinion, from my own research (Google) the above supplements and meds seem to be the norm in treating MTHFR and I don't know why either your FS would be against aspirin.
    Best wishes to you, I hope you get the answers you need.

Smile Thanks

Thanks for the advice and reassurance guys. I am still feeling unsure about why everyone else who has tested +ve for MTHFR is on aspirin. My doc showed me a graph and said that my 'blood strength' was within normal limits - perhaps he menat the clotting strength?? He must know what I was thinking because when he replied to my Q about taking aspirin, he laughed as I was nodding in agreement and said 'yes, yes, three bags full Doctor and then you'll go out and start taking aspirin!!. I said of course I wouldn't but obviouslynow am beginning to wonder. I would ask for a second opinion but this guys is meant to be the top dog in m/c research in the UK a=so I guess that asking my GP is really not going to help and I don't know who else to ask.

Funny cos from what I have read on these forums the women in here are FAR more reliable sources of info than any GP!! Mine was been particularly useless - asked me when I went to confirm my third pregnancy if I had lost the previous one ! Given the dates I shoul;d ahve been 8 months pregnant so not the sharpest of cookies!

I've moved house now and so have a new GP that I still have to meet so might give her a go and see what she says.

Really useful to hear what other people have gone through/are going through with this. Good luck to you all, Janey

and another one...

taking 5mg folate daily (the usual dose is .5mg)
    clexane needles from night of EPU

He said..yes I have it..but thinks it's highly unlikely this on it's own is the cause of any infertility.

Didn't even know I had it when I fell PG the one and only time...

All the best..