Thread: period after stillbirth?

newhope Guest

Default period after stillbirth?

hi ladies! im sure this gets asked alot but im now five weeks past delivery and i havent stopped bleeding.. but this week it was REALLY kicked up a notch.. much heavier, all week.. im assuming its my first period but not only is it really heavy there are clots too.. and lasting longer. is this normal or familar to you? thanks much.

Hi Newhope - again I am sorry for your loss...

I wouldn't think it's a period but it's possible. Lochia can continue for up to about 6 weeks after birth for some women. The fact that it is heavier and clotty I would just get checked out. Is the discharge offensive? Hve you pain or a fever? If not it's probably okay but - it's best to err on the side of caution and be reviewed by a medical practitioner I think.

Good luck...

Hi Newhope, big :hugs: once again Babe.

Flowerchild has given some really good advice and I really can't add to it. However I thought I might let you know that my first two AF after giving birth to my Angel baby were really heavy, lasted the entire 7 days and were clotty. Totally different to before I fell pregnant.

I agree with Flowerchild though, can't hurt to get it checked out.

Take care sweetie.

Lv Spring

hi hun, after losing Floyd my bleeding was very heavy for about 3 weeks. but i also bled the entire pregnancy... it wouldnt hurt to see your gp and get it checked out. make sure you are taking iron supplements because your levels can drop through bleeding. sorry for your loss....

Hi Newhope,

I am so sorry for your loss

Like Spring, my AF after I had my son was very heavy which was unlike it was before. I would agree with the other girls and just get it checked out anyway.

Take care

luv & hugs
    Lynn
    xxxxxxxxxx

HI Newhope,
    I am so sorry that your baby died. I had 6 weeks of lochia after all 5 deliveries. This is within normal range, but definitely at the long end of normal.
    With two, including my first, it kicked up in amount just before the end--almost like a "last gasp". After my last baby, when it happened I rang my doctor & he checked me. All was OK & within a week it was completely gone. So do ring & see. HUGS.

newhope Guest

Default thanks guys

its so nice to have a place to come with questions.

i had fairly steady lochia , getting to pale pinkish by week five, then week five all hell broke loose with bright red blood and yesterday VERY heavy flow (two pads an hour) and clots... and cramps. which is why i sort of thought it was period in week five. my ob says it could well be and didnt feel i needed to drive into town unless it stayed that heavy for a couple days.
    im going with period because im a big believer in the power of thoughts and i like to think my body is resynching for the next round. still red today but MUCH lighter.

thank you so much for your support.

I hope the wicked witch is being kind to you and she eases up soon. Take care

Hi newhope

Sorry to hear about your loss. I was very similar to you when i lost my baby....i bled for about 5 weeks (was really light towards the end and then it came back - very heavy)...it then stopped only to get AF a few days later (at about 6 weeks or so)...cramps and the works...