Thread: Families with multiples - how do/did you choose names?

Default Families with multiples - how do/did you choose names?

Just a random thought that popped into my head today... If you chose your twins' (or triplets', etc.) names before they were born, how did you choose which name went to which child? I suppose this is more for those who have same-gendered multiples

Did you say "the first to be born will be blah blah"? Was it "Baby A will be blah, Baby B will be halb"? Did you wait until they were born and give them the name that suited them better? Or was it some other way?

I would name Baby A 'x' and Baby B 'y'. If A and B happened to switch, I'd keep new Baby A as 'x' and new Baby B as 'y'. Just easier that way I think, and the few people I know with multiples have done it like that. I named DD before I let her, so I'm not one for giving baby a chance to look like their name.

Twin A was Taite, Twin B was Seth.. Although the names were picked from 9 weeks, the 'order' was only decided when I knew I was going to theatre.. That was also because we didn't know what the sex was..

I had two girls names (first and middle names) and two boys names (first and middle names), but if I got two boys the middle names would be swapped around so if I had a boy first we would have to wait until the second one was born to know his middle name. However as we had our daughter first then her name was 100% certain and when the second twin was a boy we knew which middle name he was having straight away.

Does that make sense?

Names were picked with no real order. Staff brought me pictures of each of them and asked who was who (I was in high care and hadn't met them). I scribbled names on the back of pics while full of drugs so who knows what I would have picked had I chose when I met them. I had my kids introduced to me ITMS.

i found that my twins had distinctive personalities even before they were born. We had both a girl name and a boy name picked out for each twin
    Twin A was my more boisterous and stronger/troublemaker so the names I picked were strong names
    Twin B was more softer and more relaxed so we had more softer names for that twin
    It took us ages to decide esp middle names and we finally decided the night before i went into spontaneous labour lol

I once asked a woman i was looking after this and she sai simular thing to det. she had one bub that was insanely active and she said he was always 'm'. the other was much calmer but his name took longer to pick.

sent via my vortex manipulator!

My twins had there names from early on - or I should say one was a definate from about 16 weeks, the other name chosen DH decided he didn't like at 22 weeks so I had to search for a new name for that twin.

As the definate name was Liam that was given to the baby on the left (my boys were side by side pretty much my whole pregnancy), the second name for the other twin changed from Cale to Rhys. So we ended up with the L name being for the left baby and the R name for the right baby.

Now the baby on the left was always a bit lower and was always going to come out first (via c/s) and the baby on the right we knew from a scan at 20 weeks had a kidney issue, so when they first baby was born my OB told us it was the baby on the right first - so he was called Rhys - then the baby on the left - Liam.

It wasn't until a kidney scan on both boys at day 5 that we found out the baby with the kidney problem (the one on the right) was now Liam. So this confirmed to us that the baby on the left was born first then the baby on the right, but because my OB told us they were delivered the other way around my boys ended up getting the other one's name

Of course there was no way we were going to change them as they were already there own little people with there own names and to be honest if they had the 'correct' names they just wouldn't suit there personalities, Liam is my full on rough and tumble bulldozer where Rhys is my smoochy, snuggly boy and I think there names match who they are

Wait and see them mine are lily and ruby - never names I would even have considered but perfect when they popped out.

Goodluckxx

Ours were named in no order when I was still in theatre on the way to the air ambulance DH was asked which was which amd had to pick on the spot