Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: General Discussion ~ Twins & More #5

Default General Discussion ~ Twins & More #5

Hello mums and dads of multiples

Please feel free to introduce yourself and your twins or more, maybe also describing the hardest part about being a parent to a multiple as well as the best part! Enjoy!

Your moderators of this area are:
    Chloe - Senior Moderator
    Sarah_H - Administrator

Carrying on from here

HI guys, very, very quiet in here.

Just wondering if anyone has been at total rock bottom. I am in the process of waiting for a place in the mother baby unit as I have just hit a brick wall. I am suffering from exhaustion and PND (late onset). Gabe is a terrible sleeper day and night, luckily Tallulah is perfect, but when she gets up every couple of nights, it just throws me into turmoil. I dont know how to sleep anymore. Or how to stayt awake. If I can get to sleep, it is extremely light and I have a headache and sore all over.

So I am pretty lost at the moment, and guess just want to feel like I am not alone on the difficult multiple journey.

Thank goodness I am not the only one feeling that way. I have not been on here since April as I had forgotten my password and never got around to resetting it until last night.

As you can see it is 0415 in the morning and my little devils are both awake

Ryan and Samuel are now almost 8 months (corrected age 6 months) They have both decided that they no longer want to sleep

Tuesday both boys were awake from 7am until 7pm with a total period of 40 minutes sleep, then during the night they woke 3 times. Ryan is full on rolling around his cot and ends up with arms and legs hanging out the side and he gets stuck. I go in and fix him up and settle him again, 5 minutes later he is kicking the side of the cot and giggling. Unfortunately it has got to the stage that I dont find it amusing anymore and school holidays are not helping either as the 5 and 10 year olds just want to make lots of noise and go places.

To top it off I had my gall bladder out last week with some complications, so I am not even supposed to be lifting the babies yet.

Have you been given any indication of waiting periods for the sleep centres Helen ? A girlfriend called QEC in Melbourne yesterday and was told she had a 6 week wait just for the phone consultation and then up to 6 months wait for the residential program ?

Just thought I would reply and let you know that you are definately not alone

Default Young twin Mum's???

Hi Ladies

Im new to this just wondering if there are any twin Mum's on the gold coast? Im 24 and I am Mum to beautiful 4 year old twin girls im interested in meeting other twin Mum's around my age or any age it really doesn't matter

Hi Gemalala,
    I am on the Gold Coast also, though am still cooking my twins . I did join the Gold Coast Multiple Birth Association, they have monthly catch ups and special functions for mulitple parents, and are a great support network, if you google you will find it. Perhaps try there, and I might see you at one of the functions. Take care xx

Hi Bimboo,
    Nice to meet you. It has been a little quite in this thread, most of us were posting in one started by Azzrenae but the mods have since closed it, there were a few twin mums to be but they have all had their bubs, it was sort of just me hanging around, so glad you are hear and also glad you are on the Gold Coast too.

Sorry to hear you lost a triplet, that must be very hard, I can't imagine. But glad to hear you are doing well (relatively ) and to get to 32+ weeks is great, I have heard/know plenty of other twins who arrived much earlier. Are your twin ID or fraternal, as I believe fraternal twins tend to bake a little long as they tend not to have some of the issues associated with ID twins like TTTS. Mine are fraternal.

I have a scan tomorrow with my OB to check how they are going, I see Dr Dutt at John Flynn, and am really keen to see if their position as I am hoping for a VB, so twin 1 needs to be head down, fingers crossed.

I can relate to how you feel size wise, I feel huge, and am feeling very tired, I have a lot of pelvic pain on one side, rolling over in bed is so difficult and it is really hard to sleep, have just started getting dead arms and pins and needles at night. But am totally over the moon to be having twins.

You are lucky you have experience with your daughter, she sounds like a dream, I hope this puts you in good stead for the twins arrivals. Do you know what you are having?

I mentioned in a previous post I joined the multiple birth association on the Gold Coast, they have some great information and help, like breast feeding pillow hire, and can also lend you a tub of premmie clothes to use for the first month or so so you don't need to buy so much.

Let me know if you would be up to a catch up for coffee, I am keen to meet other twin mums too.

Take care. xx

Hi everyone,

BDT - you are doing so well! I can still remember those last few weeks - god i was so uncomfy!! Rest up as much as possible - youll be thankfull you did!

All is well with me and my beautiful boys - they are feeding 4 hourly now and (most of the time!) wake only once overnight usually around 2-3 am. The sleep deprivation is a struggle but it's suprising how little you can run on! Take mine and everyother twin mums advice and sleep when they do - especially in the begining sometimes you will think you don't need it but you havre to make yourself. They are such a joy - it is the most amazing time - DH has been off since the birth (they will be 6 weeks on Wed) and that has been the biggest help - he is back at work tom - i'm begining to feel a little nervous but excited to get into my own routine.

Anyway hi to everyone else - keep baking as long as you can - rest up and i will keep poping in to check on you all.

xxxBella

Hi ladies
    Another twin mum here. I was over in the other thread lots before my boys were born, and then again recently, so have managed to navigate my way here.
    BDT - hang in there!! It's so nice to hear how you're going.
    And hello to everyone else. I will try to read up when I am a little more alert.
    The main reason I'm posting now is a bit of a selfish one I'm afraid. I am having trouble with feeding.
    Quick precis: My boys are 4 months now, and were 6 weeks prem (IUGR, umbilical cord resistance too high, preterm labour). Spent just over a month in NICU. Both IUGR (1.23kg and 1.46kg, but you'd never know it now they are such chubbas). Bottlefed (my milk bizarrely never 'came in', despite pumping every 3 hours for weeks on end and taking motilium, bishops thistle, and whatever else the lactation consultants offered).

They dropped their middle of the night feed at about 8 weeks. And until the last couple of weeks have been feeding 4 hourly like clockwork, finishing their last bottle at about 9pm and then sleeping through until about 6-7am.

However, in the last few weeks, they just will not take a feed after four hours. They fuss and fuss and fuss, and I have been sitting there trying to feed them for up to 2 hours. They do seem to get hungry at about the 5 hour mark, so I decided it would be better ot let them actually get a bit hungry and save some time. Who has time to sit down for up to 2 hours every four? Not me.

So that was the theory. The problem is that they act super super hungry, then absolutely scoff down up to 100ml (they are supposed to be having 200ml bottles now) and then the fussing starts again. It takes me another 45 mins or so to get another 50-60ml down.

The result of this is that they are not eating as much as they are supposed to (according to the tin, and the paed). They are still sleeping fine, have put on weight (albeit not as much as usual), so should I be worried?? Does anyone have any experience of this? Or any advice? It's doing my head in

Jenx

Hi Jen,

I can't help you (sorry!) my boys are 6 weeks now and i'm struggling to get them to go 4 hourly consistently! My aim is to get them to drop their night feed by 8 weeks but i can't see the light at the end of the tunnel ATM - just last night they decided they would go back to 3 hrly feeds so i was up at 12, 330 then again at 6!!! My big boy Jack is already on 160-180mls (appetite dependent) so he can't want more food! They have been really good so far, they hardly ever cry so i can't really complain! Do you have any advice for me lol!

If your boys are sleeping and putting on weight though i wouldn't be to concerned.

xxxBella

Hi Bimboo,
    Thanks for the info on how you fed your DD, I am really glad it worked for you. I have read plenty of books on twins and believe that you still have the option of demand feeding, however life might be bit easier on a routine. I loved the book by Tizzie Hall called Save Our Sleep, and plan to follow as best I can her recommendations with regards to feedings and routines. She is not a advocate at all of controlled crying, instead recommends, teaching baby to self settle, so I will be doing my best with this, though have no illusions that it will be hard.

Good on you for going for a home birth, I guess you can feel more comfortable given that this is number 2 & 3 for you. It took me so long to fall pregnant and a lot of intervention I wouldn't be comfortable to do it. But am very happy with my OB and after doing the research am happy with his recommendations for epidural, just hoping I can get twin 1 to flip so I can have a VB. I guess this is my small attempt to have at lease some natural component to the birth .

I have the same pains, and feeling incredibly stretched too, and I have bad groin pain on the left side, swollen feel, a bit of relux, am super tired, but overall have been very lucky I think, so now just hoping to hang on as long as I can.

I would love to catch up too, I am in Broadbeach Waters but happy to come to you. Let me know where you are or I will try to PM you privately.

Jenc, sorry to hear of your troubles, is this a growth spurt? Are they ready for solids yet? As long as they are putting on weight that is a good thing. And I have always read that it can be hard to compare with what the tin says. I hope you can work it out or someone has some suggestions.

Bella, so glad to hear things are going well with your boys too, gosh 6 weeks already, the time have flown by. Good luck and have fun with getting into your own routine. How exciting. Are you following any particular feeding routine?

I am sure I will have so many more questions for you both once the girls arrive. Now just patiently waiting, am not yet at the point where I am so uncomfortable that I want them out. So now just hoping that they turn in the next two weeks before my next OB appointment. I guess we will be talking labour and delivery then.

Hi to anyone else who is reading, xx

BDT - you are doing great - keep those girls baking!!!

I am following the save our sleep routines! Its great - it was hard for me to really start before now - the principles i adopted about 2 weeks ago (when i bought the book!) it is a very interesting read and makes so much sense - my boys have self settled from the very begining but don't stress to much really early on - they are small and need their cuddles and one on one time with you!! Now at 6 weeks (starting today!) i am trying to follow the actual routine (time frames) adapted slightly to my liking and needs. The best advice i got from a few of the other twin mums is to always remember a routine is only good if it suits you - i have 3 different books and have taken the bits i like from each do you know what i mean? not sure if i'm making sense bit sleep deprived!
    I pretty much demand fed - initially they were 3 hrly set by them + my little one wasn't to go more than 3 hours without a feed due to weight gain concern then i helped them change the routine to 4 hourly at about 3.5 - 4 weeks as they were bigger and i knew they could do it i just needed to break their 3 hour cycle (keep in mind i bottle fed from the early days - expressed breat milk + formula top up, now they are on formula as it was so hard to try and do it all!) i demand feed over night and wake the other to keep them in sync.

As far as birthing goes my 2 were both head down in fact one was so low every internal from a few weeks before birth they could feel his head! All the docs thought i would have the easiest VD but i stalled and he got stuck + my little one didn't tollerate birth that well so i ended up with a c-sec after 11hour labour! I had an epidural (initally reluctantly!) and it was the best - and i'm glad i din't take the chance without it. All i would say is prepare yourself well for a c-sec just in case as i was in denial a bit and it made it very emotional at the time - i shouls have prepared myself just in case. Overall the c-sec recovery was 10 times better than i thought it would be and my experince was great overall.

Through all my rambling i suppose i just want to say - prepare yourself but be ready to adapt and change - don't put any pressure on yourself! It is such a blessing having twins - hard work but such a joy! and like you after such a journey to get these bubs i just cherish every minute with them!

xxBella

Hi loverlies,
    Just popping to say hi. I am still baking away, though feeling incredibly tired, and this endless 24hr itchy skin is driving me mad. I see my OB tomorrow and have a scan on Thur to check how the girls are going and will know what the plan is from there.

Bimboo, hope you are doing well, and if your bubs have already arrived I hope they are safe and sound. Let me know how you are going.

Bella, thanks for your advice, will keep all your comments in mind, I have pretty much resigned myself to a Csection, and almost feel a little excited that we will have a date scheduled. I hope you and your boys are going well too.

Hi Jenc, sorry I can't help you with your questions lol, I hope you work it out.

Hi to everyone else xxx

Default airheads residue

Hi Baby Dreamtine

I just noticed in your previous post you have been having itchy skin. I had twin girls in October 2005 and I too suffered from severe itchy skin all the way through my 3rd and 4th tri mesters. At first I thought it was just my skin stretching so I used loads of bio oil but it was still a problem (to the point of near insanity as it was so bad it kept me awake at night and I would have to bathe for hours just to relieve my skin!)

Anyways I talked to my Doctor about it and he pretty much brushed it off and told me to get some cream, it wasn't until I was about 35 weeks I was at the hospital for a check up and I had a different Doctor to who usually saw me and I told him about it and he advised me to get a blood test immediatley. Turns out I had a condition called Cholestasis. Basically it is a rare condition that results from a liver problem which occurs when bile fails to flow normally in the small ducts of the liver. This results in bile salt accumulation in the body and can cause excessive itching. This itching is more intense than other forms of itching. Once this was discovered I was told I would have to deliver my babies the following day!
    I dont want to alarm you but id suggest you check with your Doctor to see if he thinks you may have this conditon. There is no evidence to suggest your babies will be harmed so dont worry I just thought this info might be useful for you as I know how annoying it is putting up with the itchy skin along with all the other things that come with pregnancy!

Hi Gemalala,
    Thanks so much for taking the time to post this, about two weeks ago I had the test and had slightly elevated levels, but not enough for them to treat, I was retested this week and my levels are now high, so am now being treated and have a C-section booked for next Wed (which will be 37 weeks). So thankful that it wasn't just my imagination, as it was driving me crazy. And what are the chances, I think they say only 1% of pregnancies get this lol, it is sort of nice to know I am not the only one.

Hi Bimboo, hope you are doing ok, and yes would love to catch up once you are settled after bubs' arrival.

Hi everyone else xx

Hi ladies
    I've finally found a minute to get back on. Good luck BDT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So exciting. I'm glad they discovered your cholestasis. I ended up having it towards the end too, but thankfully only very mildly. It drove me absolutely nuts. Thankfully I was already in hospital, so they could do what they needed to asap to keep it under control.
    My boys' feeding issues seem to have just sorted themselves out. They are back on track with timings (I had been a bit slack with the routine, and boy oh boy do my boys need it. They just respond so well and totally lose it if I let it go). I have also just accepted that they are not going to eat the amount it says on the tin. They are happy, sleeping through the night, and gaining weight, so they're obviously getting enough.
    I'm really enjoying my little ones. They are growing and changing so much. Every day brings me something wonderful and I am dreading ever having to go back to work. But unless I win lotto....! Still, I have 7 months or so to go. But I know it's going to fly fly fly!
    Take care everyone
    Jenx

barney Guest

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your well wishes.

OMG I am in heaven. Our baby girls were born yesterday, 3rd Feb at 8.34 am and 8.35 am, Aria weighing 2.3kg and Sophia weighing 2.8kg. The C-section was so quick and smooth, both girls came out beautifully, we had skin to skin in recovery, were in the nursery by 9.00 am, and they both had their first breast feed right away. It was divine and I can not have hoped for a better birth experience by C-section. Both girls are perfect and no troubles at all, so good in fact they are rooming in with us and no time in special care nursery. They are both having a good go breastfeeding, and it seems like I have a good supply of colostrum so far, am just about to start expressing.

I can't believe they are finally here and they are ours, they are beautiful, Aria a little more like me, and Sophia a little more like DH in looks. I am so in love with them already!

Here are some pics on facebook. Login | Facebook

Will be back to catch up soon, love to you all and thank so much for your support.

Saph, hope you are going well with your little man too. Hi to everyone else, xx

hehehe look what i found girls a post from BDT,thought you might like to see it .

and a big hello to all you beautiful twin mummas ,hope all is going well for you .
    taking my hat off to you all as this is hard enough with one baby

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much Smithy, you are an absolute doll for posting my BA.

It is a little lonely in here, is anyone out there?

Bimboo, how are you, I am assuming your twins have arrived also, I hope all is well and you had your home birth as you wished. Would love to hear your news.

Kezzabird, thanks for your well wishes on Facebook, I love to see the pics of your girls too, they are gorgeous. Don't you just totally love the girls outfits, I will be like you and dress them the same for as long as I can. It is very hot here at the moment, and I find myself putting them in just singlets and nappies for most of the day, but just for fun I pick a matching outfit and dress them up for a few hours lol, I just can't help myself.

Jenc, how are you going with your boys, are they settled into a routine? I am coping well and getting sleep but already dreaming of the girls sleeping through the night. I will have to do some research on when I can start to move them to 4 hourly feeds and longer, but don't want to push them too much just yet. They will be officially 40 weeks next Wednesday, I thought there is plenty of time to be stricter and more routine.

Bella, thanks for the info re your routine, I am in the same boat with my littler one, and don't want to stretch her out just yet as I want her to gain weight. I am ordering my copy of save our sleep as we speak. Will let you know how I go. I hope your boys are doing well too.

Azz, how are you, not sure if you are still reading or checking in, thinking of you and hope all is well too.

AFU, well I am still in 7th heaven. My girls have been an absolute dream from the day they were born. I ended up spending 7 nights in hospital, they checked me out and back in as a boarding mum on the 5th day, with the girls as the patients, just to make sure that they were putting on weight. They both lost less than 10% in the first few days, and then a little more going from tube to all suck feeds, then started putting on weight so we came home. For the first few days I was bottle feeding them expressed breast milk with a really quick teat to get the milk into them as quick as possible before they tired. My little Aria was vomiting frequently on 50mls, but still put on 130gms in 2 days, and now that we have I stretched her belly a bit, she is going great guns, they are both on 80mls per feed, still on 3 hourly feeds, and both doing really well. Aria has stopped vomiting so very happy.

My milk supply has been great, I am now trying to tandem breastfeed all the day time feeds, and expressing in between for bottle feeds at night. And have changed the teats to newborns, was afraid I would spoil them too much as I started to have problems with Sophia getting frustrated at the breast as my milk wasn't coming quick enough.

But all things aside it is going well. They are sleeping between night feeds, have some awake time during the day, and I am getting about 7 hours of broken sleep a night, so I am feeling great.

Now just crossing all my fingers that it continues.

Would love to hear how everyone else is doing, love to all xx

Hi ladies finally back on Belly Belly, OMG my thread is closed
    For some reason I was thinking about how everyone was going and thought I would pop in to see if you girls were still here.

BDT I sent you message but a big congrats to you two beautiful girls. I to had Cholestasis it was one of the reasons why I had to have the boys earlier then my sheduled c-section. You sound like you are doing well and your milk suppy is doing great. I hope you get time to put your feet up when they are sleeping during the day. my DH tells me to sleep when they sleep but I can't I am always thinking "I should be doing the washing or cleaning or cooking" but when 3.00pm comes along I am stuffed.

Hi Jenc how are you and your boys going are our boys around the same age its been so long since we were in hospital I can't remember if there was a week difference or a months difference, my boys were born on the 6 October. Thats great they have fallen back in to their routine again. My boys also need a routine I think I would go nuts without it. How much are your boys drinking? Harper is drinking 200 and Cody 160 the tin says they should be drinking 240 I make Harper a 240 sometimes he drinks close to it but its never the same at all feeds are you found that to. Cody is the same he gets close to 180 but some feeds he will drink 160, 140, or sometimes 180.

Hi Miss Bella how are you going.

AFM We are all doing great I still wake the boys at 10pm for a roll over feed and Harper sleeps through to 7am Cody still wakes at 3 or 4 but now he wont drink his 7am bottle so have tried to re settle him when he wakes just to see if he can make it but he wakes a 5am I give him a half of his bottle then and the other half at 7am that seems to be working so hopefully he will surprise me and sleep till 7 soon I am also thinking of trying to let Harper sleep from 7-7 Ill let you know how I go, has anyone got any suggestions on how you got you bubs to sleep from 7-7??
    I love watching them and making them laugh its so cute they both love being tickled under their chin. Harper was crying in his rocker today so I went over with Cody and stood him in front of Harper and Cody started doing his baby talk and Harper stopped crying it was so funny. I sometimes sit them facing each other and they smile at each other ooooh its amazing you can see that there is a connection between them. As for DD she totally adores her brothers sometimes a little to much she jumps on top of them when they are crying to give them a hug but they are in total shock and scream even louder

Well its great catching up with you girls I will pop in more ofter now that I have found you all again.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast