Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: General Discussion ~ Twins & More #5

My twins are boy/girl so it is easy to distinguish with their clothes, but I also have boys 15 months apart and yes, they have a communal sock and jock drawer as they share a room. It just makes more sense to me than spending hours trying to remember who has the red sock with black stripes, and who has the black sock with red stripes.

Thanks traveller. I wasn't sure if it was the right thing to have them sharing socks and jocks. I think I too will go with the communal drawers, could even add pyjamas and singlets. Luckily for me my 2nd son isn't really fussed on what he wears and has no sense of ownership. Unfortunately my eldest is a clothes horse and will only wear particular items.

we have a communal drawer for pj's and singlets too, but they have their own drawers for tops and pants. Sometimes my older boy will get himself pj's that are hilariously short for him, but most of the time they know which clothes fit and work it out themselves. Saves me heaps of time doing the laundry too!

My girls just share everything, the only thing they don't is pj's as one of the girls has a foot condition and has to wear a foot brace at night, so can't wear baby gro's, she has to have pj's with no feet. Otherwise they share everything, I'm sure when they get older they will start to become more individual and have differnt clothes but for now it's easier for me to just dress them in what ever is handy. :-)

Hi Ladies, how is everyone going,
    Harper and Cody are still in different sizes when Harper grows out of his clothes Cody's ready to go into them so its like buying clothes for 1 baby at the moment anyway, Cody is really starting to cub up but like kezza I would share their clothes. Sorry I have just come in out of no where.

Hope this all helps you megs

Hi ladies, tomorrow I will be week 12 and I am PG with twins. I am wondering whether this is the right thread or whether there is another one for ladies who have not yet had their twin babies?

Hi brunette, congratulations, I saw your announcement in the paltttc thread, how exciting and wonderful. Twins are just the best. This is the best thread for twin discussions though there does not seem to be too many twin mummies to be around at the moment, I hope you can find some others to share your preg journey with, and we will be here to offer any help as you go along.

Best of luck with your nt scan if you have not yet had it. Are your twin ID or two embies? Hope you are feeling great, lots of fun to come.

Hi to everyone else, will pop back in to catch up when not on dh new iPad lol as too hard to type.

Xx

Hi BD, thanks for the welcome. Our FS is not 100% sure whether our twins are identical or fraternal. The odds are with two embryos being transferred, them both having their own sacs and placentas that they are fraternal, but apparently there's still a chance (though surely less likely) that one of the embryos could have split a few days after implantation and they could be identical. I can't remember the terminology - monozygotic or something like that. Are your girls identical or fraternal? My nuchal scan is next Wednesday and I am pretty worried about it, due to being 37. Although it was a FET and I was aged 36 when the embryos were frozen Weird that they were passed over at the time, hey, and yet these are the little ones that stuck. All things progressing well (FX) I would love down the track to pick your brain - the collective brains of all twin mums - re nursery equipment, what is really necessary etc. But that's probably a little while off yet.

Hey Brunnette, congratulations!!! I was 36 when I conceived our twins, and 37 when they were born, I also was worried about the nuchal scan, but all was good thank goodness, I'm sure yours will be fine too :-) Ours were a total suprise though, we thought we weren't able to have any more children since we had been trying (naturally) for 3 years and had 2 miscarraiges in that time. So the girls were a lovely surprise, we were blessed after all! My two are 11 months old now and I am planning their 1st birthday, I can't believe the time has passed so quickly. There have been ups and downs, but I'm glad to say mostly ups, it has been especially hard for me since I am fairly new to Australia and don't really know anyone well enough to get them round to help out. My family are all in the Uk, so things have been very hard, but very do able that's for sure. Twins are such great fun, they do such special things that make your heart melt, bringing up a singleton baby just isn't the same - we also have a 6 year old boy.

Make sure you get plenty of rest during your pregnancy and look after yourself. :-)

Hi everyone,

Brunette, I hope you are going well. GL with your NT scan this week. My girls are fraternal, very distinct separate sacs at our 5 week scan. But either way it doesn't really matter. I saw in a previous post you mentioned your OB suggesting you finish work at 25 weeks. I finished in the middle of my 30th week, this was about the perfect time for me, just starting to really feel it sitting at my desk all day, though I did help DH on the renos of our house right up to about 33 weeks. 25 weeks is pretty early, does your OB think you are at a particular risk? I felt great at this time, in fact DH and I went to Fiji for a holiday in our 24th week and travelled fine. Just make sure you eat really well and get plenty of rest, and make sure you speak to your OB about your iron levels if you are getting really tired, as you might need extra supplementation, I took mine too late and was wondering why I was so exhausted all the time.

Are you on Facebook? If so here is a link to me, send me a friend request. I have some pics on there that show my belly on a weekly basis, it is incredible how quickly you will grow, and just when you think you can't get any bigger lol, you will. But in saying all that, I was super lucky and didn't get any stretch marks, and my belly seems to have gone back almost to its original size. Though most of which I attribute to breastfeeding, it has done wonders to get the weight off.

Kezzabird, hope you are well too, love the new pics of the girls on FB.

Hi to anyone else reading. xx

Hi BD, I sent you a friend request just now. But since no-one knows yet at work and we have only told family and some close friends, would you mind emailing me and not posting on my wall? That would be much appreciated, thanks. Your baby girls are gorgeous (so's mum!) and I love their names! Can't wait to see your week by week pics. I am absolutely terrible with taking pictures, and so is my DH so we'll have to really make an effort to take some pictures as the PG progresses, and then of the bubs once born

Had the nuchal scan this morning, and it all went well. They wouldn't do the combined bloods; they used to but don't anymore as the impression given was that the results weren't as accurate as they initially thought, or something like that. It was just amazing to see both of them - one on top of the other. Even got a pic of twin 1 in 3D and I bought the DVD. The risk is "low" and if I were to have further invasive tests the risk of miscarriage to both bubs is much higher than the risk to the bubs of Downs. So all in all, a good result.

Hi Kezzabird, it must be very difficult to have your family so far away. Do they regularly visit, or you visit them? These babies will be the first grandchildren for my side of the family, but not for my DH's, and I have to say at times I think it would be easier if my family lived overseas But the feeling doesn't last long. My mum can be a little bit too much at times, though I know she means well.

Hi
    I'm back over the morning sickness yeah. Twins are going well talking and enjoying each other gee they get on well. But they are climbing and in cupboards I'm sure they get together and work out what they are going to do next.
    Welcome all new twins mummies and twin mummies to be.

Cathie

Hi ladies!

BD, Thanks for confirming my friend request. I love the idea of taking weekly photos of your tummy. Gosh, you carried well and look like you were all babies. You look like you are pretty tall? I am only 5 foot 6 so a bit of shorty! I am eating pretty well. I normally eat well, though, but it's funny how I've been wanting things that are actually good for the bubs - like salmon with the bones crushed for extra calcium. Though the chocolate is starting to creep in ... You look like you had no tummy when you were leaving hospital, you lucky duck! From the photos, I also see you had a c-section. My FS (very cautious) is already talking about me having a cs. I don't mind re safety of the bubs; I just hate that I won't be able to do everything for them after the birth. Do you mind me asking how long until you recovered from your c-section and could pick up and bath the bubs? My DH is hopefully going to try to take the first 2 weeks off, but he is the CEO of his organisation and it really depends on when the bubs are born. Gee I hope I do as well as you and they bake in my tummy till week 37 or 38.

Brunette please don't be bullied into having a C section, if both heads are down, there is no reason why you can't go natural. Of course if they aren't then C section is a safer option. I managed to give birth to my twins naturally, and (not by choice) with no pain relief! I was planning on using TENS initially for the labour pains, but then opted to have an epidural line put in. But bubs came sooner than anticipated and they didn't have time to put the meds in. I laboured for 4 hours after my waters had been broken, with contractions all over the place, so we thought birth was a long way off - but all of a sudden Suzanna's head came down the birth canal and I had to push, no time for drugs. After Suzanna was born Jennifer came 10 minutes later. My son was also born vaginally, but I had the injections to stave off the pain, but if I had to give birth again (which I won't be) but for arguments sake, I would go drug free again. It was the most amazing experience, I was aware of what was going on, I could feel my babies, and I had all my faculties about me. As a result I made an amazing recovery, I was ready to go home just after 3 days and I felt wonderful. Plus I had the added comfort knowing that my babies had not been affected by drugs. I'm not suggesting for one minute that you go drug free of course, especially being your first babies, but I am trying to get through to you that, twins can be born vaginally, the first one makes the way and the second one isn't as painful, still hurts of course, but not as bad. It does make me cross when so many women are led to believe that c section is their only option and are cheated out of a vaginal delivery. Any way I'll get off my pedestal now!!!

I'm so glad your Nuchal scan came out all good. I am only 5'2" and baked my bubs until 37 weeks, it was hard going though, I thought I was going to go off bang! Here is my facebook link, be sure to let me know who you are as I don't let anyone be my friend Kezzabird's facebook

Cathy how old are your twins? Mine are 11 months, but not climbing yet, although I don't think it will be long.

I'm good thanks Lisa, I'm enjoying the girls very much, I just love watching them interact with each other and learn about their surroundings. And I just love meal times too, they are so funny and to watch them as they taste different foods and see their reactions. I wish I could freeze time and keep them at this age for ever they are sooooo cute. Loving your pictures too, you have a good eye for photo's, they look very professional.

I hope everyone else is well.

Kezza, that's very reassuring to hear you carried your twins to 37 weeks and are only 5 "2. I hear what you say about c-sections. I too feel that it is something that should be sorted a lot closer to the time. I have a first cousin who had twin boys. I'm yet to call her and break the news that I'm PG with twins, as we've kept things pretty close to our chest given we've had such a scare and bad start to this PG, but I am pretty sure she had a natural birth with her twin boys, too. Thanks for your FB link; i just sent you a friend request

Wink

yeah twin thread is a live again

a big congrats Brunette glad to hear you nuchal scan went well my boys are 8mths now they are ID but one is smaller then the other hows you bubs sizes going have they measured them yet sorry I can't remember if they do it at the 12wk scan or the 20wk scan yes your baby brain doesn't go away when when you have your babies
    I had my DD natrually and my boys cs at 33wks people recover from it at different times I was up walking around within 24hrs only cause Harper and Cody were up in the nursery and I really wanted to see them so took some pain killers and walked up there. I agree with Kezza dont feel pressured in to having a cs if its something you want to do then go for it. Don't let anyone talk you into it.

I hope some new twin mums join you soon its nice share your journey with other twin pg mummies

We all experienced different thing in our pg so if you have any questions we will have no problems in giving you some advise or just to chat.

Hi kezza and BD
    One of my boys are up I will have to pop in tomorrow
    Last edited by azzrenae; June 20th, 2010 at 05:37 PM.

Hi loverly twin mummies and mummies to be!

Brunette, I agree with Kezzabird, don't be pushed in to a CS if there is an opportunity for a VB. I was desperate for a VB, unfortunately from approx 32 weeks both girls were breech and dispite doing everything I could to get them to flip (moxibustion, chiro, osteo, raised pelvis, hand stands in the pool lol) they didn't budge. So I started thinking CS would be the likely option and had plenty of time to adjust to the idea. My biggest fear was that the CS would be so clinical. I am so happy to say that it wasn't at all, I had the most amazing experience, it was so quick. I can't remember if I mentioned previously, but I had skin to skin in recovery, and they were on the breast within 30 mins. Perhaps my experience was a bit better than some as I was 37 weeks and they didn't need any time in special care, within about an hour we were in my room.

I had them at 8.30 am and didn't really get up until early the next day, I didn't change a nappy until the third day, as strange as this sounds it was actually really great, as it meant that DH had to do it all. He was a pro and was the one teaching me by the time I was up and about. I think it really helped with his bonding with them, when they cryed he was the one to go and pick them up, he did the first bath, it was really quite lovely. I could imagine that if it was the otherway around it likely would have been me to take the lead and do everything. And as pretty much from the get go you will be doing 3 hourly expressing to get your milk supply going (if you are planning to breastfeed), I was also really occupied with this, DH and nurses would bring the girls to me to work on attachment, express, have a nap, eat, start all over again. So in all, a day or too laid up was not bad at all. Re my leaving hospital photos, I must have been sucking my belly in lol. No seriously there was no hope of doing that as all the muscles were loose, I did buy some tummy control undies that I wore for the first few weeks and this did wonders to help my stomach muscles strenghen.

I ended up gaining 18kgs in total, and I am back to my previous weight, though likely from the breastfeeding, I eat like a horse at the moment however will need to watch from now as I am starting to wean off the breast, they say BF twins can burn 1000 calories a day lol, I will have to halve my portion size from now .

Also, I too worried about the effect of the spinal block on the girls, during antenatal class we discussed babies being listless, not wanting to attach etc, however I have to say that the spinal block did not seem to make a difference to my girls, see the pic of Aria smiling, this was 2 minutes after being born, and Sophia did not stop crying for the first half an hour, what lungs she has, they were definately alive and alert. So I guess the drugs might not always impact on the baby.

Kezzabird, I too am trying to appreciate each stage, they grow so quickly, sometimes I want to freeze frame too. But I am so excited to think they will be sitting soon, and crawling, and walking etc etc. Can you tell me if you bought a playpen for them? I am looking at the super large ones now, but don't want to go to the expense if they will only use it a while.

Azz, how are you boys going, wow 8 months already, what are they getting up to? How are you going with their sleeping at this age, I am struggling to get my girls to sleep longer than the 45 minute sleep cycles. How much day time sleep are they having? Would love to hear what you have done.

Cathie, great news re your morning sickness easing, you must have your handsfull. I hope you are resting when you can.

Love to all xx
    Last edited by Baby Dreamtime; June 20th, 2010 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Hey BD and Azz great to see you guys back on here.

I have bought the Valco 6 sided play yard, it has a mat that you attach to the poles and has mesh sides ( like a portacot). The mat is washable, in fact I think the whole thing is washable, it certainly looks like it all comes off anyway. It has been my life saver! When I need to pop to the loo, answer the phone, or just simply fix myself lunch or start the dinner. They are quite happy playing in there for around 20 mins before they call for me, but to be honest, unless I'm cooking dinner, most things take me less than 20 mins anyway. Once they've had enough in the play pen, and I need a bit more time to keep them out of trouble, I stick them in their walkers - they haven't figured out how to move them around yet, so it buys me a bit more time, until I am ready to watch them. It sure is a juggling act now that they are on the move, so much fun to watch them though I have to be really careful because Alex has lots of little toys that just aren't suitable for babies, plus we have a dog and I am paranoid about the girls getting into her water bowl! We also had to go out and buy a fire guard, that cost us $400!!!! I couldn't believe how much fire guards cost, unbelievable That was one of the cheaper ones too! But essential never the less.

BD you have done a marvelous job B. feeding the girls! I'd have stuck it out if we only had the girls, but it was too much with Alex as well, as he needed to go to kinder and get picked up etc etc, so I only lasted 3 weeks, still it's better than nothing I guess. I know what you mean about eating like a horse though, BF makes you really hungry doesn't it? I actually weigh less than I was before I was pregnant, I guess it must be all the running around after the kids I do! I still can't get rid of my blancmange belly though, I think it's here to stay!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast