Thread: New OB guidelines to be released for idential twin pregnancies

Default New OB guidelines to be released for idential twin pregnancies

Hey twin mummas - you might want to check out this thread when you get a chance :-)

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...ancies-160919/

You can see the doco here Publications - College Statements as its just been released. Its called Management of Monochorionic Twin Pregnancy (C-Obs 42)

That looks great SarahRach. A good friend of mine had identical twins who suffered from TTTS (one sadly passed away a few week after birth but the other is doing well) and I remember at the time how difficult it was to find out what was going to happen to her and when. This document will hopefully save so much prenatal stress for mothers, not to mention the lives it will save.

This is very helpful! I'm coming on 18weeks and I was thinking I should be getting scans more regularly but my next one isn't until the 5th of May, and my OB seems to just keep saying come back monthly and its starting to annoy me! Not that we can afford to go back every month but it would still be nice if we could just pop in for a quick scan, or be referred to QXray for a scan.

Do you know if you can just go to a public hospital and ask for one without a referral?

Hey Strawberry - I'd be taking that document to your OB right now and demanding a scan fortnightly moving forward, if it was me in your shoes I'd not accept anything less and if I did not get it I'd be moving OBs quick smart. And if your OB is a member of RANZCOG (most are) then he should be following these new guidelines, however in saying that he probably has no idea about them (just like my OB at the time did not).

TTTS can come on in a matter of a weeks and well its much easier to do something positive about it if you catch it early. Most treatment has a very high success rate, but left untreated it almost always ends badly.

Traveller: I am so sorry for your friend - how awful. Is there any chance of getting this info into a sticky somewhere. It was so hard when I was preggo with my identicals finding information that related to that type of pregnancy, so I think this is such a good doco to empower women in the same situation - such as Strawberry.

The threat to change OBs would be pretty useless in this town since there are only 5 and all are completely booked lol but I'm sure there would be some governing body I could report him to.

I think he will be doing them more regularly from now on but its just with all the public holidays and there only being 1 place in town that does the scan I need I can't get in until May 5th. If I could get in on time it would be great but they are just so busy! Then I go see him again the 15th, so I guess that works out for the next few weeks as being pretty regular. I'll take it with me next time though just in case he says 'come back in a month' so I can be all...'well give me a referral for a scan for 2 weeks time then'.