... 89101112

thread: Pregnant 10wks with twins. Dh want divorce n abortion

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Nov 2009
    Scottish expat living in Geelong

It's generally not advisable to use any mattress with a travel cot other than the one that comes with it, and in general travel cots are not as long lasting or comfortable. You'd be better off buying a second hand cot from ebay or gumtree and getting a new mattress from target or kmart. Twins can share a cot for a few months at least (mine shared for 3 months) and that gives you some breathing space to find a second one.

Aug 2006
    On the other side of this screen!!!

Do *not* put another mattress into a travelcot or portacot as it's a known suffocation risk. The recommendation is to place no additional mattresses or padding inside cots and especially portacots. I agree with Traveller, much better to pick up a second hand cot. Check out the Baby and Kids Market (run regularly in Belmont, South Fremantle and Warwick). We got a lot of very good stuff for very cheap prices at these markets. .

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2011
    Perth

Do *not* put another mattress into a travelcot or portacot as it's a known suffocation risk. The recommendation is to place no additional mattresses or padding inside cots and especially portacots. I agree with Traveller, much better to pick up a second hand cot. Check out the Baby and Kids Market (run regularly in Belmont, South Fremantle and Warwick). We got a lot of very good stuff for very cheap prices at these markets. .
    Where about in Belmont? Is it the 2nd hand market on Sunday at the car park of Belmont forum?

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Dec 2008

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet but get in touch with the Australian Multiple Birth Association. In pretty sure (among other things) that they hire out baby furniture so you don't have to buy 2 of everything.

Apr 2008
    Melbourne

Look for items on Gumtree and eBay - you can pick up some really good bargains and you have plenty of time to wait for things as they come up.

2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Feb 2012
    Melbourne , Victoria

For sleeping. I can also recommend Amby Baby Hammocks. New they are under $300 and can be used from newborn to about 2 years of age/24kg.
    They come up second hand on eBay and apart from the frame can be washed and dried easily. They are also easily portable so can also be used instead of a portacot.
    Second hand on eBay that start at only $100.
    Last edited by Astrid; December 16th, 2012 at 11:41 AM. : double post almost same info

BellyBelly Member

Dec 2005

Pregnant 10wks with twins. Dh want divorce n abortion

I wouldn't recommend the hammock really, keeping in mind expense. I got one for my second DD and she was such a wriggler plus I read once they can turn over they shouldn't use them anymore so I dunno about the usage up to 2 years thing. I stopped using mine really early and had to use a cot. I seem to remember there were a lit of rules too in regards to safety and it took a little effort getting baby in and out if it. Plus it would be a little uncomfortable for a big 2 year old I would think. Then you'd have to get them to sleep in a normal bed at 2 as well which could be a problem. So you'd end up buying a hammock and a cot. I reckon just get a second hand cot and mattress from target. That means you can lay by the mattresses now and start paying them off. You could always co sleep until your baby bonus comes through if you can't afford anything til then.

BellyBelly Member

Dec 2011
    WA

I was always planning to co sleep my twins as traveller advised. When the SIDS rules changed recently I went totally off the idea. I watch how my two can move around on their backs on the playmat now and I just think the risk of suffocation isn't worth it.

Re the Amby I agree with the others - you would need two and as soon as the can roll they can sleep in there any more.

For two our Moses baskets have been amazing and worth considering.

Xx

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

For sleeping, I can also recommend Amby Baby Hammocks. The are under $300 each (new) and can be used until about 2years of age or 24kg. They can also be used instead of a portacot.
    Second hand on eBay that start at only $100.
    I love the Amby hammocks too, but neither of my kids have been able to stay in them past 9 months. The kids were just too active, sitting, climbing, surfing, and i didn't feel it was safe for them to keep sleeping in there unless they were supervised.

Check out op shops, ebay, buy & sell groups on facebook. There are always cheap prams, cots etc available, and often great quality. Then spend money on things that are important to you

BellyBelly Member

Mar 2008
    Kurri Kurri

QL I've been noticing on Gumtree that people have been giving away cots and baby items so maybe if you regularly check the site then you could pick up some things for free. If you have to buy new mattresses then it is cheaper to get them than to buy everything brand new. Good luck with everything hun and make sure you get in contact with a lawyer. You need advice asap xxx

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2011
    Perth

Saw ad on babies R us, there is new cot sell for $99.99. I might go check it out.

I have been feeling down for past couple days. H always said stuff to hurt my feeling. When he drunk, he told me he won't go out anymore and he realize what's important to him which is me.
    Then in the morning he told me he said that because last night at bar was boring n kill his mood.
    He playing with my feeling. Give me false hope
    I was stay strong and stop crying for a week n now I'm back to square 1.

BellyBelly Member

Dec 2008
    Brisbane, QLD

Ive been thinking of you.
    Its understandable that your emotions are up and down. Being pregnant is enough to cause that, without all the stuff you're dealing with as well.
    Have you spoken to your doctor about all of this? They can organise councelling for you which is bulk billed, so no cost to you.

Dec 2007
    Geelong

Have you sought any legal advice yet regarding the pre-nup, it seems he's covered his own butt in not letting you get any of his assets but yet he continues to abuse you emotionally and go out living the single life. Don't let him intimidate you, ask him to leave, it's very important for your and your babies health that you are not put through this emotional abuse that he is giving you.

Regards,
    Dianne

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2011
    Perth

I found two people that will give me free cot!! Yayyy!! Mattress and Carseats is next on my to buy list ^_^
    How do u pick what type of mattress anyway??

BellyBelly Member

Dec 2008
    Brisbane, QLD

Awesome!!

BellyBelly Member

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

Get measurements of the cots. You want the mattress to fit firmly in the cot with no gaps around the sides. This guide here has the Australian safety standards and safety ideas (p. 51 for cots)

http://www.productsafety.gov.au/cont...aby%20safe.pdf

Hazards
     falls
     strangulation
     suffocation
     arm, leg and head traps
    Many children need hospital treatment every year for serious injuries related to cots.
    What to look for
    Mandatory standard
    The mandatory standard is based on AS/NZS 2172:2003.

Compulsory measurements
    For fixed-based cots
    The distance from the mattress base to the lowest part of the top of the cot should be at least:
    ~ 600 mm when drop-side is up
    ~ 250 mm when drop-side is down.

For adjustable cots
    Adjustable cots should only have two base heights. The distance between the top of the mattress base and the lowest part of the top of the cot should be at least:
    ~ 400 mm when the base is in highest position and the drop-side is up
    ~ 600 mm when the base is in the lowest position and the drop-side is up
    ~ 250 mm when the base is in highest position and the drop-side is down

For all cots – gap sizes
    ~ 50 mm to 95 mm of space between bars or panels—bigger gaps can trap your baby’s head or create spaces large enough for your baby to fall through
    ~ no more than 20 mm of space between cot sides or ends and a centred mattress—your baby can get stuck between bigger gaps
    and suffocate
    ~ no gaps or openings between 30 mm and 50 mm—these can trap your baby’s arms or legs.

Bits that stick out (protrusions)~ second-hand cots—no more than 8 mm from the top or sides
    ~ new cots—no more than 5 mm from the top or sides
    ~ no fittings that can catch your baby’s clothes and cause strangulation

Legs
    The mandatory standard allows cots to have one of the following:
    ~ two castors (wheels) or two glides
    ~ two castors (wheels) with brakes and two glides, or
    ~ four castors (wheels)—at least two must have brakes.

Safety habits
     Always follow instructions carefully when assembling and using a cot.
     Set an adjustable mattress base at the lowest point as soon as your baby can sit up.
     Place the cot in a safe spot away from hazards like electrical appliances, windows or blind cords.
     Use locking brakes on cots with castors (wheels).
     Put the drop-side up when your baby is sleeping.

Never put these things in a cot with your baby:
     pillows, especially if your baby is under two
     electric blankets or hot water bottles
     toys, books or items that a growing baby can use to climb to the top of the sides or ends of the cot and fall
     objects that could smother or strangle your baby.

Regularly check drop-side cots While cots with a drop-side make it easier to get your child in and out, you must regularly check this moving part to ensure it’s safe. When a drop-side doesn’t fit properly, is worn, or has loose or missing parts, children can fall out or become trapped in gaps

Safe sleeping
    It’s very important to provide a safe sleeping surface for your baby. Only use a firm mattress that fits snugly into the cot. Don’t use cot bumpers
    or soft bedding as these have shown to be associated with fatal sleep accidents. Don’t use extra mattresses. Be extremely cautious about using
    products advertised as reducing the risk factors associated with Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)—no product has been proven to achieve
    this. If you’re concerned, contact your local Kidsafe office or SIDS prevention agency to seek advice on safe infant sleeping.

Last edited by HotI; December 17th, 2012 at 06:17 AM.

Dec 2006
    Smidgen-ville

I found two people that will give me free cot!! Yayyy!! Mattress and Carseats is next on my to buy list ^_^
    How do u pick what type of mattress anyway??
    While it's great to be organised, maybe you shouldn't worry so much about accumulating such bulky items just yet. Are you 100% sure you will be staying on at your current house up until, and after the babies are born?
    You might be better researching carseats etc on the internet and then decide which ones are right for you and then keeping an eye on ebay or similar. New and improved car seats are being introduced all the time. Mattresses can be bought at any time - just so long as they fit right.

Dec 2007
    Geelong

I agree with Lenny, I would be concentrating on sorting out your affairs with your husband first.

Regards,
    Dianne

... 89101112