Thread: Twin gift/book recommendations

Default Twin gift/book recommendations

I have a family member who Is three weeks off having her twins just wanting to buy her a great book on raising twins or something along those lines?
    Also for those with twins what gift did you find was most valuable or even unexpected that came in handy?

The best book I had was called Twins - a practical guide to parenting by Katrina Bowman and Louise Ryan. It was Australian so the info was more relevant than the American/UK ones.

As for a practical gift - the best thing I had was probably the girls bath seats. They were just from Target I think, and it meant that you could bath them without having to hang onto a squirming wriggly baby/ies. Other practical things like lots of socks and singlets were fantastic, although a little boring , but I never realised how many I would actually go through especially with 2 chucky babies. Nappies were another thing we recieved heaps of. We also were given an extra big playmat/play gym which meant they could lay under it together. Another thing that will come in handy is a big basket made up of lots of food - cans of soup, museli bars, nice biscuits etc. Shopping with twins is hard - everyone wants to look and ask questions so I would of love something that kept me well fed while I was a bit housebound with the bubs at the start.

There is a good website called Think Twins with lots of ideas for twinnies

To be honest the best thing I had when the twins were born was someone who came and cleaned my house a couple of hours once a week - I was lucky as my council offered this service at a reduced rate usually for 6 weeks, but as 1 of my twins has a health issue (nothing major) they extended it for 6 mths.

It was just someone to do the vacuuming, mopping the floors, clean my bathroom and kitchen.

I got heaps of presents for the babies but having a house cleaner even for a little while was a godsend. I would have also loved soemone to make meals for the family so I didn't have to think about cooking when the twins where small and I was still trying to get into a routine.

Just subbing to this thread as I have a friend that is pregnant with twins and I would like to know what to get her once she has them

I'd go with some meals for the freezer and a cleaner for a few weeks.

essentials I use every day

Flanelette nappies (the soft cotton ones) these are great inside the bunny rugs for swaddling, and are fantastic for folding and putting under babies head - so when the dribble r vomit I dont have to keep stripping basinette sheets

As an extra I ad white face washers under their little heads (on top of the flanelette nappies) and I can remove them without too much disturbance

Wet wipes - I received 100's and after a few weeks at home the supply is rapidly dwindiling

I got really sucked into buying "pretty" blankets with no wamth in them, I only relalized this once I go thome, so if you know an Aunty who can croche' - that would be an amazing gift and keepsake. DH's aunty sent us two croched woolen blankets and they are amazing, the weight and wamth in them is just beautiful, I would be lost without them, and I use them every day

One more thing : I found it easier to watch a DVD of a book as it didnt take as much time :-)