Thread: Cost of a doula?

Default Cost of a doula?

Hi,

I would like to know, how much did you pay for your doula, and what services did this involve? (amount of visits- pre & post labour etc). I'm assuming it varies depending on experience etc?
    If you are a doula or student doula you may also be able to help me with these questions.

Thanks!

X

A bit about me:
    I am currently 24 weeks along in my 2nd pregnancy, and I am planning to birth at a family birth centre.
    It has just really dawned on me that I am going to want/need more support for my labour than just my DH and the hospital midwives, particularly as I've been told that the transfer rate to the main hospital is over 70%- mainly for pain releif- eek! Although my DH is wonderful, my first labour spanned over 4 days (on and off) and both he and I were exhausted - so although I expect (hope!) this labour will be shorter, I cannot possibly expect him to support me in every way I may need it.

So, now I am seriously considering the services of a doula to share the load and to be an informed birth advocate when i am in pain and need encouragement and assistance making decisions.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Students are generally free. A graduate around $600 and experienced $800-$1200 + - depending on packages, state/location... I think the biggest factor is how you gel with the doula - you need to have a good, strong relationship and of course she needs to be well informed and educated.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

Thanks Kelly.

That seems quite reasonable considering they offer pre & post labour support.
    I will look into finding a graduate doula in my area. Yay- excited.

X

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Given by what you have written as your location I assume its not Melbourne lol so I can't suggest anyone sorry... unless there are some on BB. But anyone in Melb looking for a student can contact Rhea Dempsey who runs Birth Attendant training (who I did mine with) and she will have some awesome students. Rhea is the bomb!!!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

Hi Jellybean

Judging by your location you may be in QLD - I'm not taking new clients at the moment however if you're around Brisbane/Gold Coast/Toowoomba I can recommend some wonderful doulas who I know and have worked with.

In Qld you're looking at about $1000-$1300 for an experienced doula. This would normally include at least 3 long pre birth visits, birth plan consultation and feedback, on-call over the month around your EDD, phone and email support, attendance at birth and a couple of postnatals. Most doulas would also include extras such as resource loan etc.

Good luck!

Thanks Tobily & Kelly - I am actually in WA, but I appreciate the advice.
    I have spoken with a recent doula graduate yesterday who lives 5 mins from me. She is also a qualified Naturopath and Aromatherapist so will do aromatherapy massage during labour for me - yay!!! As she has not been practicing long the cost will be very affordable. Hopefully this will help alleviate some of the weight on DH for what will most likely be a lengthy labour....
    Praying that with the right support and encouragement I can go natural ALL the way this time!!