Thread: Doula v IM - difference in s FBC?

Default Doula v IM - difference in s FBC?

I have two preferences for this birth - the first being a home birth, the second being birthing at the Mercy Family Birth Centre with my own support.

I have connected with a beautiful independent midwife who I want at my birth regardless of which way we decide to go. I always thought I would have a doula as well.

So can someone please tell me, if I was birthing in the FBC, what roles would the doula and IM play? Are they very similar in that setting given my IM wouldn't have any authority?

They are similar in that they will both act as a doula in a hospital but I wouldn't birth without an IM now, no matter where I was so I would go with the IM for sure.

Had I had an IM first time around I feel I would have been able to gain a second opinion about my tearing and the way stitching was performed. Hell, I could have gone home and had the IM stitch them for me! An IM is able to give you medical advice (even if it's unofficial) so would be a great resource for information and second opinions if you end up with complications with you or baby.

Thanks Meow - that explains it perfectly.

Has anyone had both?

Most of the FBCs are just hospitals with nice pictures on the wall. An experienced, independent support with medical knowledge will be beneficial, but it's not the same as a homebirth where you are not subjected to the hospital rules or staff.

Look at the person and how you click with them over their title (if taking support to the FBC).

Quote Originally Posted by HotI View Post
    Look at the person and how you click with them over their title (if taking support to the FBC).
    Yep this.

Because essentially, in a FBC environment, they are the same thing - Birth support.