Thread: Breech & Posterior Babies + Having a Vaginal Breech Birth

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Breech & Posterior Babies + Having a Vaginal Breech Birth

Midwives / Obs / GP's Who Attend Vaginal Breech Birth

Here's a tip women - if you have chosen an Ob and they support vaginal breech birth, tells you something about their attitudes towards birth and that they are probably more supportive Obs to see generally. If you have a breech bub, I highly recommend you read Breech Birth: Woman Wise by Maggie Banks.

MELBOURNE

Dr David Freidin
    Suite 3, 96 Grattan Street
    CARLTON VIC 3053
    Ph: 03 9527 1388

Dr Lionel Steinberg
    Suite 2, Ground Floor
    59-61 Victoria Parade
    FITZROY VIC 3065
    Ph: 03 9347 7917

Dr Dennis Price
    Suite 2/145 Wattletree Road
    MALVERN VIC 3144
    Ph: 03 9509 5744

Dr Peter Lee
    53 Brady Road
    DANDENONG NORTH VIC 3175
    Ph: 03 9790 0333

Dr Guy Skinner
    145 Victoria Parade
    FITZROY VIC 3065
    Ph: 03 9417 0147

QUEENSLAND

Dr Ian Etherington
    Kenmore Medical Suite 1
    Mater Hospital
    P.O. Box 924
    ROCKHAMPTON QLD 4700
    Ph: 07 4931 3550

Links & Resources

Here is a collection of links to Breech and posterior resources. You can always google 'optimal foetal positioning' for the best info. Other tips are to make sure you avoid slouching in seats which can encourage a posterior position - always have your hips above your knees even if you have to put a pillow or two under your bum. You might also like to try a birth/fit ball to sit on. Also from around 30 weeks, get down on your hands and knees for 20 mins a day if that as comfortable.

Spinning Babies - http://www.spinningbabies.com

A collection of breech techniques - http://gentlebirth.org/Midwife/breechcl.html

Breech information - http://gentlebirth.org/Midwife/breechtn.html

Homepathy to help turn baby - http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/turnbaby.asp
    Last edited by BellyBelly; December 24th, 2006 at 08:36 AM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

Hey Kelly,
    The middle two links are down....are you able to find them again?
    Ta

I can vouch for Dr Etherington, he delivered vaginally my second twin who was breech

With or without an epi Sherie? Many Obs put a requirement on women to have an epi for a twin vaginal birth and/or to be induced
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

Without believe it or not... no pain relief at all... but i still prefer the breech extraction to the thought of a caesar!!

It was only by chance that he was there... he was in civvys just popping in, not actually working!!! so im very lucky... he's the best (in my beliefs) ob in rocky
    Last edited by reez; December 15th, 2007 at 05:01 PM.

Oh wow thats fantastic, so many Obs want that epi in!!! Lucky you The caesar might sound nice, but you have to jump through hoops if you decide you then want a VBAC and you have to fight for it... plus not to mention the risks of course
    Kelly xx

Yeah for sure, i knew enough to know that it was better for their lungs to come out naturally and although it was a bit painful, i believe it was better... and kudos to doctors who are willing to do it instead of jumping at the chance to hand it over to someone else to deal with when it gets tough...

p.s - ewww at a caesar sounding nice LOL! If i had a kid with a HC of 40 or something it would probably sound nice LOL! - absolutely no offence intended to people who choose to have caesars either

If you were to measure up 40cm - even 30 cms and look at it, yeh it would look huge... but babies are clever. They don't come out at maximum circumference, they come out at the most narrow point of their head, and there are 4 unfused bones in their head which squash and move together as needed to be born out of the vagina. Before the birth measurements aren't exact anyway, so if a doc told me my baby had a big head I would still give it a go. There is so much women need to know about birth which will help reduce fear!
    Kelly xx

Exactly, i always had the headset that i was going to at least TRY to have them naturally, of course if it was certain that it was going to be detrimental to their health it would have been another story... but it all worked out in the end and even though it wasnt exactly the way i would have liked it, they both came out safe

Try this:

Attending a Breech Birth - from Ronnie Falc?o's Midwife Archives

Note the search engine at the bottom of the page - type in anything to get a wealth of info.

Default Still breech at 38 weeks

Hello

I am just wondering if there is anyone who has had a vaginal breech birth and what their experience was like? My baby is still breech and I am 38 weeks and 2 days pregnant. I don't really want to have a C Section but the thought of a vaginal delivery at this stage is just as daunting.

I would love to hear someone's perspective who has been through this and what they think.

Also if anyone has had success turning breech babies using any method please let me know.

Cheers

Mecil

Hi Kelly,
    Dr David Simon at Warragul does Vaginal Breech and Breech VBAC.
    Cheers Jules
    Last edited by julie_ann_jules; May 15th, 2009 at 01:36 PM.

Hi Mecil,

Some babies still turn at term, or during labour.

This week I met two women who had vaginal breech births at home, attended by midwives. One was a first time mama. I know a doula on the Gold Coast, Claire Aslangul, who has experience with vaginal breech birth. I think she might be able to recommend people or hospitals in your area.

The Spinning Babies website has a good section on turning breech babies.