Member Name: Munchkin_Mumma
    Date of VBAC: 16th Feb 2011
    I had a: VBA1C
    Baby's Weight: 2.96kg
    Baby's Height: 49cm
    Baby's Head Circ: 32.5cm
    Type of birth: Public Hospital. Stayed home for most of my labour though
    Did you have extra support: Doula
    What information did you arm yourself with during pregnancy: VBAC handbook, Silent Knife, Spiritual Midwifery, Thinking Womans Guide to Childbirth and lots and lots of googling!!
    What form of pain relief did you choose: TENS machine and gas & air towards the end
    What advice would you have for other VBAC'ers: Dont let anyone scare you! Do lots and lots of research on natural birth in general, not only VBAC. Trust your body

Member Name: JennaJayen

Date of VBAC: 30/3/2011

I had a: VBA1C

Baby's Weight: 8pd (3.65kg)

Baby's Height: 52cm

Baby's Head Circ: 34cm

Type of birth: Public Hospital, Active Birth after AROM (Artificial rupture of membranes)
    Did you have extra support: My husband, the Midwife and a Student Midwife

What information did you arm yourself with during pregnancy: What To Expect When You're Expecting, and also lots of Googling and reading of the BellyBelly threads

What form of pain relief did you choose: Heat packs followed by a shower and back rubs, then Pethideine and gas and air at the end

What advice would you have for other VBAC'ers: Don't be disappointed if things don't go to plan, and be prepared to veer away from your birth plan and do/use things you didn't intend to do, it won't make you any less of a woman or mother to do things you never intended doing.
    Have a really good support person there.
    Don't spend the entire labour on your back - spend as much time as possible on your feet, even if it means that you are doubled over in the shower or shuffling from one foot the other/rocking etc - and if you have to go on your back like I did to be examined then focus on your breathing. I ended up giving birth on my back because I went from 5cm to fully dilated in 20 minutes while having monitoring done as they were having trouble picking up my DD's heartbeat while I was standing up.
    Don't just dismiss the gas after 2 or 3 puffs, as it can take up to 2-3 minutes to start working, and it does make you feel queasy at first, but once it is working you can feel like you're floating outside your body.
    Trust your body - when you feel the urge to push, tell your midwife/doula/support person straight away, if your body tells you to stop pushing then stop and hold it (or backpedal) even if the midwife says to keep going, there's usually a good reason for it and your body will tell you when to start pushing again. I felt the urge to push 20 minutes after having the pethideine injection when I was 5cm dilated, the midwife didn't believe me until I couldn't hold it anymore and had to push while she was examining me and she got the shock of her life when she saw my baby girls head lol and my DD was born just over 20 minutes later.
    I highly recommend drinking raspberry leaf tea or taking raspberry leaf tablets, make sure that they contain 500mg of the active ingredient though as otherwhise you might not be getting the right dose. I started taking the tablets at 28wks and found that they calmed down my irritable uterus a lot though they may not do that for others, and I think they helped my body get ready and start to dilate at 37wks, although the 3wks of pre-labour after that weren't very fun lol
    I ended up having a 4hr 43minute labour, so they must have done something to help!
    As I had Gestational Diabete's during pregnancy I also had to start expressing - it's recommended to start at to 36-37wks, but I started at 35wks using a manual pump and had almost 150mls of colostrum stored in the freezer by the time DD was born and by the time DD was 6 hours old my milk had come in. So when you start the nipple stimulation methods to bring on labour, try using a manual pump to get the colostrum flowing and store what you express in the freezer in case of emergencies.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE GOING FOR THEIR VBAC!

Default VBAC

Member Name: alomumma
    Date of VBAC: 10/10/2009 and 07/11/2010
    I had a: VBAC and HBAC
    Baby's Weight: 9p5 and 9p12
    Baby's Height: 50cm and 53cm
    Baby's Head Circ: 36cm and 38cm
    Type of birth: Hospital birth and Home birth
    Did you have any support: hospital midwife and independent midwife, plus a group of cheerleaders (family)
    What information did you arm yourself with during pregnancy: Reading, research, lots of inspirational youtube videos
    What form of pain relief did you choose: gas and nothing but walking and moaning for HBAC
    What advice would you have :Believe in the fact you are a woman and we are built for this. Trust in your magnificent body and use your pregnancy to tune into it and don't separate your mind from your body, work as one

Member Name: Joey123
    Date of VBAC: 19 April 2011
    I had a: VBA2C (DDs 12yrs and 22 mths at time of VBA2C)
    Baby's Weight: 440g (8lb 14 and a half oz) BIG!
    Baby's Height: 54cm
    Baby's Head Circ: 35cm
    Type of birth: Hospital Birth/Active Birth - I laboured at home until I was pushing, then went into the hospital (the longest 15 min drive EVER!)
    Did you have extra support: Doula
    What information did you arm yourself with during pregnancy: The Business of Being Born DVD, The Silent Knife Book, Journey into Motherhood (a book full of positive birthing stories), listened to podcast 'pregtastic'.
    What form of pain relief did you choose: Nil!! oh other than water.
    What advice would you have for other VBAC'ers: Get a doula. It means that you don't need to worry or think about anything except labouring.
    Also, stay at home for as long as you can, this way you don't have the pressure of the hospital telling you you're taking too long - this is why I ended up with my 2nd CS. I got to 9cm, and they told me I was taking too long and baby was stuck. I really don't think that she was - neither does my doula, after reading my hospital notes. Giving birth naturally is the most amazing experience and I really wish every woman was able to experience it.
    Don't let the hospital tell you baby is too big for you. I was told after DD2 was born that she was too big for me and that is why she got stuck ... yet DD3 was even bigger and she made it out! Go figure.

Member Name: kaze
    Date of VBAC: March 2010
    I had a: HBAC (HBA1C)
    Baby's Weight: 3.3kg
    Baby's Height: 54cm
    Baby's Head Circ: 34cm
    Type of birth: 4.5hrs in total, born at home
    Did you have extra support: Doula, Midwife and Partner
    What information did you arm yourself with during pregnancy read up on vbac, hbac, homebirth, birthing from within, google etc
    What form of pain relief did you choose warm water (in the shower and birthing pool)
    What advice would you have for other VBAC'ers Do your research before you start seeing your care provider. You should know the stats, the pros and cons and ins and outs before you hit the final stretch. Find your support team, decide on how you want to VBAC and stay strong.

Date of VBAC: Jan 2009 & Jan 2011
    I had a: VBA2C & UHWBAVBA2C
    Baby's Weight: 4100g (9lb) & 5075g (11lb 3oz)
    Baby's Height: 54cm & 56cm
    Baby's Head Circ: 32cm & 37cm
    Type of birth: Less than 9hrs in total, no drugs, in hospital for 1.5hrs before bub was born, coached pushing and rude mw led to a 2nd degree tear, checked out 4hrs later and loved driving us home because daddy was tired & unassisted home water birth, daddy caught bub after a quick 4hr labour, no tears but had to transfer for a pph.
    Did you have extra support: Doula and hubby for hospital & at home Mum, Dad, Sis (& her boyfriend!) Bro, our 3 kids and daddy in the pool!
    What information did you arm yourself with during pregnancy I read every available study, used forums for moral support and a souls for back up. The second time I avoided all Drs and had just one scan, it was peaceful and wonderful to just trust my body and relax.
    What form of pain relief did you choose warm water in the shower & a birthing pool
    What advice would you have for other VBAC'ers Do your research before you start seeing your care provider. You should know the stats, the pros and cons and ins and outs before you hit the final stretch. Find your support team, decide on how you want to VBAC and stay strong - I agree with this previous poster. YOUR BODY, YOUR BABY, YOUR BIRTH.

HBACS have a higher success rate than hospital VBAC, before you discount HBAC, really research, preconceived ideas may have put you offside before you've really thought about it. Check out you tube or one true media homebirth movies, there is nothing more calming and beautiful than birthing in your own space.

Member Name: KimB
    Date of VBAC: 29/4/11
    I had a:VBA1C, VBA2C etc etc VBA1C
    Baby's Weight: 3705grams (8lb 2 1/2)
    Baby's Height: 52cm
    Baby's Head Circ: 35cm
    Type of birth: Hospital birth at John Hunter Hospital
    Did you have extra support: Had no extra support
    What information did you arm yourself with during pregnancy: Bookd, BB (or course), midwife advise
    What form of pain relief did you choose: Gas
    What advice would you have for other VBAC'ers: Just try it and be amazed at what your body can do

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123