Thread: Seriously considering vbac+2

Default Seriously considering vbac+2

Hi,

I'm from the NT and am 28 weeks pregnant with my third child. I went through two previous ceasarians, both I was induced for at 38-39 weeks. Looking back I think the first was because my blood pressure was starting to get high, the second i'm not really sure why the doctor said I could be induced, especially since I desperately wanted to vbac, so I guess that was half my fault for agreeing.

Anyway 6 years later at 33 I am pregnant again and desperately want a natural birth, but I don't want it to be for unecessary risk. I've talked to the obstetricians in my local town Nhulunbuy but not the obstetricians at Darwin hospital. They say I really should have another ceasar. I am being flown to Darwin at 36 weeks until I birth because the hospital here is a low risk hospital and don't do 3rd ceasars or vbacs. I've spoken recently to a community midwives program in Darwin saying they are willing to support me at Darwin hospital for a vbac+2. I'm really happy about this but nervous about what the doctors will say at the hospital and will they neglect me if I turn up there birthing naturally when ceasar was reccomended. I want to do this but I also want to know I have medical support should anything go wrong.

I'm so unsure about the way to go about this and would love any advice or previous experience.

thanks
    Michelle

MIchelle for one congrats with the new bub baking away
    Second the medical team can not NEGLECT you because you walked in labouring after you have been recommended to have another c/section.. If the midwifes gave you the ok please relax ok .... if soemthing happens and you need one well you at least your in the right spot

Thanks for the congrats.

Yeh thats what I was thinking , at least if i'm in a hospital I won't have far to go if a problem arises, but I also don't want to be pressured into a ceasar I don't need. I am hoping my midwife will be able to judge that for me. I am starting to feel comfortable with the vbac option. I've never had a chance to labour naturally and I would really love that experience. I've started my rasberry leaf tea, evening primrose oil supplements and Im doing pregnancy yoga. I really hope I can do this.

Hi I've had 2 vba2c's - you can do anything with the right support and faith. Have you read many birthing books? Birthing from Within was one if my favourite books to up my confidence in my ability to do it. Have people beside you who know your wishes - it's ok to fight for what you want, and a vba2c is definitely not unreasonable and much safer in terms of risk than a 3rd section.

Have you considered getting a doula for more support?

Hi,

I'm not to sure exactly what a Doula is, but I have a midwife from the community midwife program which concentrates on homebirths, a birthing centre attached to the hospital and vbacs within the hospital. Apparently she will be in contact with me the rest of my pregnancy and with me the whole time in the hospital. I think I am more unsure because I have not really had a labour experience. Will there be a doctor with me in the hopital. I was advised there may be a second midwife also there while i'm in labour. I mean I'm not sure how many people I want there , or need there. I'm kind of more worried about who will be watching my other children while I do this too. Do hospitals have childcare for these instances. Gosh it feels like I have a million and one things to think about.

And its midnight here at the moment so excuse my rambling. I swear this baby is kicking way more than my other two did and i'm only at 28 weeks!

Anyway thank you for the replies. It eases my mind knowing that someone out there has done it not once but twice. Congratulations!

generally when labouring in hospital there is one main midwife in with you and then close to birth they call in a second midwife and/or the OB.

I would speak with your community midwife about practical support in labour and ask her how others have worked around the kids (i had HBs for my 2nd and 3rd child...so that takes out that worry of care minding for them...). I know that my friend was able to negotiate her children in with her and had a friend there to be able to watch them and take them out when wanted/needed etc.

VBA2C is totally within possibility and within your rights to go for! I wish you all the best. Also check out some really inspiring blogs/websites etc. i recommend the birth without fear blog (it's also on FB). she has some really cool VBAC stories etc to inspire you!

Well I mentioned to the OB's I am seeing at the moment that I had midwives willing to give me a go at vbac in the hospital, and suprisingly she wasn't dead set against it. Though she did insisit I only attempt it within the hospital. She is getting my previous ceasar records from the hospital IN Western Australia just to make sure everything went smoothly there. I do have the low horizontal scar on my tummy, but apparently it can be different on your uterus??? She also said the risk does go up quite a lot when your over 30, but usually a rupture is a very minor deal and only tiny. It is very rare for a complete rupture to occur, though she has seen it once in Cairns and the lady was homebirthing. She managed to deliver the baby but it died.

So I like the fact she is checking things out for me and giving me all sides of the story, it makes me feel she is trustworthy. Unfortunately she won't be my ob in labour, so I hope they are just as good in Darwin.

Fwiw, I was over 30 for my vbac2s and my scar is the same in my uterus as on the outside

There are a couple of ladies on here that had ruptures and their baby survived because it was picked up early during labour. There are warning signs for apparent rupture so I've never really understood the whole panic thing from most ob's - it's like they think we will explode or something.....

brillmish Guest

Hello Bluerose, I would be interested in finding out how you are getting on and what your experience has been like.