Thread: VBA2C worth it?

Default VBA2C worth it?

I haven't been on here in a while. But I'm 10 weeks pregnant now, and am staring down the barrel of having a 3rd CS. DS1 was ECS after 36hrs stage 1 labor because he was oblique (diagonal) & smallest amount of syntocinon lead to dangerously lowered heart rate. I tried for a VBAC with DS2 but where they would have booked me for induction normally, being VBAC in Hervey Bay, policy was to book for CS instead. He was +6 days without going naturally into labour so CS by default. I know if i go for VBA2C I'll be up for a fight and my questions are A) is it worth it? and B) what do i have going for me if I try?

So is it worth it? DS1 was such a long unproductive labor. Is this likely to happen again with the same results? DS1 was +12days 8pound2, DS2 was +6days 9pound5. Looks like my pregnancies go over and of course bubs are getting bigger. Will this give me greater risks in trying for VBA2C?

What do I have going for me? It will be just over 4 years since last CS, does that mean theoretically my scar will be stronger and lower risk? I have however had an umbilical hernia operation almost 2 years ago. The Dr at the time said it should easily hold up to pregnancy. Does anyone know if it could cause issues for my VBAC attempt? I've just found out HBHospital is finally installing water birth baths(!!). I'm not sure if they'll have staff trained for births by then but should be able to labor in them. Could this mean a lower labor risk because of the water relaxing everything? I'm fitter and healthier than i was with the other 2 having taken up roller derby & cleaned up my food a bit and hope to keep up a decent amount of exercise throughout pregnancy (no derby though of course ). Will this help my chances?

Sorry for all the Qs and TIA for any and all help! I want to be as armed as I can by the time I get to antinatal appointments.

Default Re: VBA2C worth it?

Just thought I'd reply and bump this a bit for you.

What type of birth would you prefer if you weren't worried about the vba2c label?

Whoops, i totally went MIA for a long time there. I'll answer the Q to bump the post because I'm still struggling with the same questions.

Home birth wouldn't be a viable option for me. I know my husband wouldn't support it (he just thinks they're weird & babies are born in hospitals), plus I assume there's some cost associated that might be hard for me to get together. And as i put in my post, water births as far as I'm aware are currently not offered locally, however labouring in water is ok. So I would be going for a natural (as possible) hospital birth.

I have a friend who's a mum of 5, who would be an awesome advocate for natural birth and has helped her friend have a VBAC, including standing between her friend and the midwife to stop them putting a canula (sp*) in 'just in case'. Her friend had a natural birth without any dramas.

I had 2 csections then 2 natural birth centre births and my last was an emergency section (transferred attempted home birth).

I preferred my vba2cs over my sections. Happy to answer any questions