Thread: VBAC and BMI

Default VBAC and BMI

Ok i know i am over weight but i have always had a solid build my BMI is over 40 the OB is at this point happy for me to try VBAC (up to 70% chance of sucess) but if i gain to much weight i wont be allowed to and he will refer me to OB in Canberra to confirm the no VBAC - so i am wondering if anyone else out there has been able to VBAC while having a high BMI?

There is a VBAC Australia support group on Facebook that might be able to help

Good luck with your VBAC!

I had a vbac while overweight, not sure what my bmi is but its probably high. My ob never weighed me or asked and was supportive of a vbac twice including with gestational diabeties. He was more concerned that I didnt loose too much weight for the safety of my babies.

I would question your ob and wonder if they are really supporting a vbac.

I had a VBAC, BMI was just under 40 at full term. No issues at all, my weight was never mentioned. I was probably only weighed a handful of times throughout my pregnancy, definitely not every single appointment.

Has your OB given his reasons for no VBAC if you gain too much weight?

My BMI was nearly 40 for my first VBA2C - no issues were raised because of my weight. It was 36 for my VBA2C2.

My current BMI (at nearly full term) is 33 and my midwife hasn't said anything about my weight, only that I seem to be all baby and I'm not that overweight (mind you - love her for saying that haha!)

I don't believe weight has anything to do with how successful we birth, other than the fact that if you are unfit, a long labour could wear you out - however there are skinny people that are unfit for a long labour too

No, not an issue for me. My BMI is clasified obese but my OBS never weighed me and never made reference to my weight during pg or in relation to my attempt for VBAC.

I agree with Arimeh, I don't think weight (under, 'normal' or over) is a reflection of how women birth.