Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: VBAC / EBAC Discussion #2

Hi Jade and welcome to BB. Good on you for hiring a doula this time around

Come and join us in the NSW thread if you want. There is also a pregnancy buddies group for you to join

Hi Jade! Welcome to BB! Congratulations on your pregnancy and [email protected] your upcoming vbac. A doula definitely does make a difference as I experienced a very empowering vbac with my son Seth.

*hugs*
    Cailin

I have to agree, support is EVERYTHING with a vbac

jade21887 Guest

Default Birth Plan

Im currently writing up a birth plan to give to my midwives at my appointment tomorrow. I had a talk to one of the ladys from birthrites the other night (really recommend it if you wanna talk about your previous c section/upcoming vbac) and of course i didnt take notes. The best thing I got from her, is dont go in with questions, go in with exactly what you want, and see if they will satisfy my needs, if not seek a second opinion, or change hospitals.

So far on my birth plan I have:
    • bung to be inserted as soon as I get to hospital
    • intermittent monitoring only - I must still be able to be kept active while being monitored
    • no internal monitoring
    • do not want pain relief other than gas offered
    • need to be able to use the shower
    • need to be able to be active at all times

Is there anything anyone thinks could be beneficial to add to that list?

JAde I've been working on my birth plan this week & I've used the one Kelly has put up on the main site, have a look at that.

I just had my 3rd hypnobirthing class today & I am feeling so empowered and actually excited at birth. Amazing! When a year ago the thought of birth would send me into a minor panic... now I can't wait!

jade21887 Guest

Well I had my appointment at the hospital, and they arent too supportive of my VBAC. They are quite happy for me to have it, just they wont let me go over 40 weeks Tomorrow Im going to call around a few more hospitals and see whether any VBAC friendly hospitals still have places available, but Im not too confident. To top it off, bub is measuring huge, so they said if it continues, they probably wont let me do a vbac anyway.

Well thats rubbish Jade, the average pg is from38-42 weeks, SINCE WHEN HAS 40 WEEKS BEEN IT??? AND I birthed a 4625 gm baby, vbac a year ago, and I know of an 11pd vbac bubs, since when can they tell accurately how big a baby is ( they always get it wrong, i was told Dion was a 5 kg baby - BUT they were still not halting the vbac despite thinking this.......

PS Jade, dont let "them " have the power, it is NOT about what they will "let" you do, its about what you want to do, KWIM?????

jade21887 Guest

Yeah, thats what Im thinking, as long as bubs heart rate is ok, why should going over matter? I figure as far as a c section goes, they need my consent, and they aint getting it unless there is a problem with bub. I will have a doula, so I will have the support that I need for labour. I think if I dont get into this other hospital, I will keep pushing at the hospital that Im at.

GO JADE GO
    GO JADE GO
    GOOOOOOOO JADE
    I am here cheering for you, they cant make you do anything you dont want, just dont go there unless you need something, stay home with your Doula and do what your body and baby need!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sonsangel Guest

I had a scan on Thursday my LMP date was 33wks 3 days, bubs is also breech.
    Bubs is way above the 90 percentile meaning it is looking more like 37wks 3 days rather than the 33wks 3 days I thought I was at. Approx weighs 3kg-6lb 6oz. The Ob that did the scan guestimated a weight of 10lb 5oz-4.8kgs if i went to full term going by my LMP date. He is the same Ob who predicted at 23wks gestation last time the EDD of my son 4th Feb, and just over 9lb. He was right - My LMP date was 11th Feb, he came on the 3rd Feb and weighed 9lb 3oz. So I have faith in him.

My problem is I still want my Vbac, no matter what I attempt to turn this baby it's not working and the Ob has mentioned manually turning the baby. I am a little worried about him attempting this, I have acknowledged the possible complications and am not ready to be taken off for an emergency ceaser becasue of wanting the Vbac this badly.
    It's still earlyish days, depending on whether you go by the latest u/s or the LMP date so what would you do?

A. Let the Ob attempt turning bub.
    B. Book a ceaser at a certain date if I come early and bubs is in the correct position then attempt the Vbac.
    C. Just let things go naturally - unless bubs doesn't turn of course.

As you can imagine I am pretty confused on what to do now. Please give me the positive light to keep on going toward my e/vbac.

Hi Sonia, I had an ECV or turning of breech bub done. For me it didn't work, but that's not to say that it won't for you.

As you say it is still early days. Have you had a look at the spinning babies website?? Perhaps you could try some accupuncture or reflexology. I never knew of any of these things when pg with my breech bub and of course no one at the hospital told me what to try. I aslo begged them to let me birth him breech and no Dr there was suportive of this. I am happy to say though that my next bub was a very successful VBAC

I would try these things and then wait it out, if bub is going to turn he/she will. If not they will give you your c section - perhaps you can wait until you begin labour to have it done??

Goodluck hun and I hope all goes well for you

Hi Sonia - just wanted to wish you all the best. I really hope you can find some useful information to help bub turn. If a VBAC is really what you desire then try all that you can to achieve it - but if it doesn't turn out to be the safest option for you and bub then at least you have the assurance that you tried all you could. I will definately be keeping you in my thoughts and praying that everything falls into place for you

I can officially join this thread now as i've just found out i'm 4-5 weeks pg with bub #2 I am absolutely thrilled but also very nervous about the pg due to the traumatic experience i had last time. I am also desperate for a VBAC and thought it's best to start researching and informing myself now in hope that it might just work out for me and this bub. Does anyone have any fabulous book/website recommendations for me?

Rae, there is a great one called birthrites.org. It's an Aussie site and there is a forum on there too. Alot of great and really nice girls and heaps of info

ETA, Rae, I just emailed you a link to some great VBAC sites too
    Last edited by Trish; September 18th, 2006 at 11:02 AM.

Good luck girls. Sonia, my vbac boy was 4625gms, it can be done!!!

Good luck Rae!!! I'm getting closer few weeks away until my EBAC!!! YAY! I'm actually excited this time around. The few things that have helped me prepare for this birth have been reading "Silent Knife" and "A Thinking Women's Guide to a Better Birth" I got them off Amazon. They both helped me think through everything first and deal with my first birth.

The thing that actually got me excited about giving birth vaginally is hypnobirthing. It has really prepared me mentally & physically better than anything else. I read the book, but honestly it wasn't until I did the classes that I really took it in.

Thanks for that info girls - will definatley be checking it all out
    Not long now Christy - i'm feeling really excited for you!!!
    Jade - how are things going with you? Have you had anymore sucess with the hospital?
    Sonia - how are you feeling?

jade21887 Guest

Hi Girls
    Sorry I havent been on in ages!! Looks like my VBAC dream is out the window. Bubs measuring pretty big, but I know we couldnt have conceived any earlier, so the ob wants to do a c section. I think Im ok with it. He knew I wanted a VBAC, but just told me how it wasnt going to be possible for myself or the baby. At 36 weeks we are going to discuss how to make the c section a more positive experience than my last one.

Why is it not going to be possible Jade?? Big bubs can be delivered, i had a 4625gm baby vbac, and I know of another vbac mum who had an 11 pd'er What are the reasons ??
    PS measurement are quite often out, i just dont want you to give up, then have an 8pder via csec for nothing, KWIM.......
    Have you looked into site like "birthrites" which have some great statistics on vbac's

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast