Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: VBAC / EBAC Discussion #2

Hello girls.. I haven't updated my VBAC journey at all. The last few weeks have been a bit of a battle. Aside from pregnancy, the hospital decided to tell me at 36 weeks that I would have to have constant monitoring during labour which sent me into a freak out. After discussing with Kelly & some of her contacts I compiled 12 pages of information about constant foetal monitoring & VBACs. DH & I had to go in & basically have it out with an OB to get them to understand that it wasn't something we wanted and it was our choice. I understand the necessity of monitoring, but the midwives had implied that I would have to be in bed connected to an ancient machine & that is what scared me.

SOOO.... after that battle comes to the hitting my EDD time limit battle. I've had 10 days/nights of prelabour which went full on and have settled over the last few nights. Its good practice for breathing but other than that its pretty annoying. I've had acupuncture (4 sessions) done all the natural induction methods other than castor oil, and have booked in for a massage today. I'm pretty grumpy about hitting my EDD and am having a freak out this morning because that is where I feel the pressure.

Okay... enough from me. I will fill you all in on my journey as it unfolds

Christy, good luck, remember, your body, your baby, your choice. they cannot force you into anything. ( I agreed to AROM 2 days before edd as I felt things were right to go, and I was effaced, I delivered 8 hrs later) but this was my choice, Dr wouldnt / couldnt have forced me if I didnt feel it was right for us.
    oh and I had the monitoring, but did not adjust me to suit them, they had to work around my movements, and rocking etc. In the end I did have Fetal scalp monitoring, and felt this suited us better ( I had full movement then)

Christy - Good Luck, I`m so looking forward to reading your birth announcement Oh you poor love being in pre labour, I don`t wish that on anyone, are you able to sleep with it or are you like I was - prelabour was too strong to sleep? Have they discussed how far over your EDD are they letting you go?

Well Monday is the next appt at the hospital where she said it was my last appt before they book me in for induction. At that time I can have a s&s if I want. I asked what induction meant, basically on Wednesday they would insert a catheter with a balloon type thing on one ends & over 24 hours slowly increase the pressure to thin out the cervix & open it up very slowly. Then once I got to 3cm I would have AROM and syntocin. I asked what the options were & she said that was it. I then said I didn't want synctocin if labour was started...and she was very short with me.

I have just booked in another massage & am picking up some herbs this arvo from a natropath to encourage things over the weekend. I hope I don't hit Monday!!!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Christy, she forgot one more option - to respect your own decision for no induction. Not sure if I told you the story of the woman at Box Hill Hospital, they kept booking her in for a caesar. She just said no. Baby came at own accord around 12-16 days post dates I think. VBAC women need to be treated as normal birthing women. Your scar is strong, and studies show the chance of rupture is very low, and complications the same based on mode of delivery. It's YOUR body and YOUR choice hon.

Even with AROM and the constant monitoring, this will pick up the baby having more stress I am sure, when the waters rupture there is more pressure on the baby so they will see the heartrate changes which is consistent with ROM.

Every little bit of unnecessary intervention they do increase the risks, not awaiting nature when both mother and baby are well. You are a strong woman, I know this from hearing your parenting journey. Draw on all your strengths and call on more. Thinking of you, call me anytime xox
    Last edited by BellyBelly; November 2nd, 2006 at 02:12 PM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I agree with Kelly, we were born to birth, thats how our bodies were created. Just stay away from them, dont go to any Dr's or hospitals til you want to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Girl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kelly it was sooo good to have you at the end of the phone after that appt. DH was very relieved to have your support for us. Just knowing that it is my choice & decision makes us both more confident that we are doing things right. I don't want to be induced. I am pretty sure I have made that clear to them & to everyone involved.... I just have to remain strong now

You can say no or not show up if you can't say no at the time, or organise for Pete to be there and say you have both decided no. Happens all the time. Some doctors/midwives are just not used to it. You'll be amazed how empowered you feel saying it allowed to them, 'no thanks.' You can sign a waiver even. It would make a great current affairs story, being bullied into inductions/caesars. You and I both know a few ppl who'd want to speak for that story LOL. They can also be sued for doing things against your will and I know of womem who hae said that they will sue them for doing that. You have the choice as to what they do to your body. Who has the power now?

How can you not be doing things right, you are a woman who just wants to have her baby without interference if she can help it thanks very much!!!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Cheering for you, and your Rights Christy, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christy, I agree with Kelly. You can just not turn up to the hosp appt.

Have you had a look at Fionajills post about how long you can go over for ??

If you read the post by Schmickers you will see that his wife went 11 days over, she had to sign a waiver, but given that she was planning on a homebirth anyway and had no intention of birthing at the hospital she signed it easily enough.

Goodluck hun. I hope your litte baby decides it's time to come on out to meet you over the weekend.

Trish its funny because with Matilda I was 17 days over, and I posted in FJ's thread... I guess thats why I'm getting more and more nervous as time goes on... they keep saying I don't have the same options having a VBAC as I did before. I think its the nerves that catch on with me more than anything else. In my mind I know better, but then I have these little freak outs during the day, okay mainly after the 5-7 phone calls of people "checking" on me... time to leave the answering machine on for good I think.

Yeah, I can see how that would happen Christy. Sorry I didn't see your post in there. Of course I checked after I did my post adn your was right after Michael's.

The funny thing is I had always thought that they would rather not induce with a VBAC. That was pretty much what I was told when I was pg with Tehya. Not that I was planning on birthing in hosp either though.

It's the quiet of the night that the irrational thoughts and fears creep in too hey ?? Don't doubt yourself hun, you know that your body is more than capable of doing this.

Yup time to put that mesasge on that say's, No we haven't, but we will let you know when we do !!

Every hospital / doctor has their own protocols on what they are willing to accept for a VBAC - some will only allow to the due date, some less some more. More women need to inform themselves like you have Christy and say that this is not on - only then can we change the norm. We need to let them know that this sub-standard care is NOT GOOD ENOUGH! I wish I could be there with you Christy...
    Kelly xx

Kelly I think thats why I started posting my journey here... because others who are wanting a VBAC can see that there are options, as scary as the hospital puts forth, there are options available to us. We just need to be informed about them.

*Kristee* Guest

Hey girls,
    I am not yet pregnant but i have been following this thread for a while now as my next one i want to have natural birth.
    You girls are such a inspiration!!! and it is great all the info i can get out of this thread.
    I really thank whoever put the info on about uterine rupture as that was something that was playing on my mind as my doc told me that it is a very high risk when i asked just after i had my ceaser....so thanx it has eased my mind a bit already.
    I just hope when i am pregnant again that my ob supports VBAC as i am not sure if she does. I would really like to have a doula but according to all the sites i have checked there is none in my area
    Anyway even if i don't chat i am following your journeys and learning all the way!!

Kristee, if your Ob doesnt support you, find one who will. have you been on sites such as "birthrites" they will give you the full % of uterine rupture ( as far as I know it is actually higher in an induction in a woman that has NEVER had a csec, than it is in a vbac!!!!!!!)
    good luck!!!!

Kristee, when you are looking for a Doula, email me and I can email all my contacts.
    Kelly xx

Hi everyone,

I had decided to have a C-Sec as my second birth was C-Sec due to her being breach (first was natural). I told the Dr this at my 36 week check up at the hospital on Thursday. Another Dr came in to talk to me about it and I must be lucky as he was very pro VBAC. He said as the only reason I had a C-Sec last time was because DD was breach and because my scar was "the right type" and also because bubs is quite small, that I am a perfect candidate for a VBAC.

As we had spent alot of time deciding and had decided to have another C-Sec I told him I still wanted to continue. He was disapointed but we did all the paperwork and I am booked in. Since then I have been thinking about it ALOT more and if a Dr (who I thought would usually try and push you for another C-Sec) thinks I should have a VBAC then maybe I should.

So anyway I have made the decision that I will have a VBAC and i'm feeling really good about it. I want to have an epidural though, does this make the chances higher of a scar rupture?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast