Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: VBAC / EBAC Discussion #2

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I've heard EPO capsules are great for VBAC mums, there's an article in the birth section of the main site on natural induction methods and its in there, but generally they do advise not to do too much with a VBAC. Remember you make the decisions and have all the control here - they can't do anything against your will or that sets them up for legal issues. I know mums who have had to say no to pressure for c/s for days on end as the hospitals would keep booking them in and letting them know. But as long as you and baby are fine, there is no reason to book you in.

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Rachel they will let you go for up to 10 days post dates I think. Even then it's up to you whether or not you agree to the c section. Personally I would just wait until I went into labour naturally. It's going to happen by itself at some time

In the meantime are you doing anything to encourage labour like RLT, EPO, nipple stimulation ??

Sorry, posting the same time as Kelly. I used EPO for thelast few weeks of my pregnancy with Tehya. Apparently my cervix was so soft and stretchy. I sued it both orally and vaginally. I also drank RLT by the truck loads. Yes I was keen to get my little girl out. Alot of midwifes don't even know about the EPO and mine was suprised when I told her about it. When I asked her about my cervix she commented on it we agreed that the EPO probably had a lot to do with it.
    Last edited by Trish; January 2nd, 2007 at 08:42 AM.

Debbie Lee Guest

Good luck, Rachel!
    I'm a bit baffled as to why no induction = caesar. It's great that they can't induce you so that you can go into labour naturally.

Thanks Kelly!

RLT is Raspberry Leaf Tea isn't it? What is EPO??? I have tried the nipple stimulation but I read somewhere you should do it for 20 MINS!!! It releases oxytocin doesn't it so is that the same as having an orgasm?

I'll get some of the tea tomorrow I think

Debbie Lee Guest

Evening Primrose Oil, Rachel

Oh, great, thanks! So you can take in orally and vaginally? Erm, do you just squirt a bit up there or what?! I'm not very inventive with these things! Would it have instructions on the packet?!!!

Rachel, what you do is with clean hands take a couple of capsules and just put them inside your vagina, as far in as posible, nice and close to the cervix. You can buy EPO capsules from your supermarket too. My advice though is to use them orally in the day and internally at night, just before you go to bed, and make sure you wear a pad as what goes in must come out You might get a little leakage. All is good though

Do a google on natural labour inductions and you will see quite a bit of info on using EPO for inductions.

Debbie Lee Guest

Debbie is paying close attention... hehehehe

That's ok Deb. I will still be around to share it all with you again when your time is near

There are instructions in the BB article about EPO.

Deb, the Pink Kit has a VBAC component, not sure if I mentioned. But I think it's especially worthwhile to learn about your pelvis related to a VBAC, especially when there can be those questioning you after a caesar...
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Debbie Lee Guest

Hehehe thanks Trish... cos ya know I'm gonna be asking the same questions allllll over again!!

Didn't post it in here but I booked in with the midwives yesterday. I went up and spoke to reception and said that I realise the first appointment isn't until 20 weeks but I have some issues I want to sort out so I'd like to speak to a midwife a lot sooner (esp. since I'm not familiar with how this hospital runs). She happily booked me in for Feb 5... I'll be about 15 weeks. So that's good... not long to wait. Even if it's not a proper "appointment" but one where I get to discuss my options, I'll be happy. I might even write up a first-draft birth plan and see what they think.
    I'll also quiz them about the doctors and find out which one is the most open to VBAC... tho I do kind of feel like I should give mine another chance. I really think the "not discussing anything until 20 weeks" is just the general policy. I might see what I can get out of him next week.... even if I just find out how many VBACs have been attempted under his care.

Kelly - I was doing a bit of reading about the Pink Kit and, yep, think I may have to invest in it. I love Pinky's books so I'm sure it'll be an asset.

Debbie Lee Guest

Ok... have been looking for a few books...
    Have found a good online store that has a lot of childbirth/pregnancy/maternity type books.
    Capers Bookstore? dot com dot au
    Anyway... it has Silent Knife ($77!! ARGH!), The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth and New Active Birth.
    There's one there called "Vaginal Birth After Caesarean" by Elizabeth Kaufmann. Anyone heard of this one? Any good?
    Last edited by Debbie Lee; January 6th, 2007 at 01:41 PM.

As per other post LOL Capers is pretty expensive compared to other places. If you go to Seek Books which is in the recommended reading list, you can see the difference and also support BB at the same time, we get a small percent of sales. They are cheapest I have found online by far. Also hard covers are heaps more expensive.
    Kelly xx

I have heard really good things about the silent knife, and my Ob gave me Vaginal birth after caesarian to read. I found it informative

" Knowledge is the key"

Good luck Debbie.

I used both Silent Knife & A Thinking Womans Guide to Better Birth and found them so helpful... it was fantastic.

Debbie Lee Guest

Thanks Vanita. Might have to get it then.

Christy - gonna PM you

Debbie Lee Guest

Well, my doctor's appointment went pretty well today. He seemed more "chipper" than he has been the last 2 times. All my BT's came back normal and good (good iron levels, neg for hepatitis and no HIV... phew!! LOL). He joked and said I past those tests with flying colours! I said; "Gee that was easy!" hehe.
    My BP was normal and weight has gone down a bit (little woo hoo for me! hehe).
    Then I got up on the bed so he could do another quick scan. I was more than happy to oblige. It took a little while but we eventually saw a strong HB (I held my breath when we could only see a motionless blob... urrgh... heart in throat for what seemed like aaaaages!). He measured Little Bee and all indicators said 11 weeks... as it should be! I smiled the whole time.
    I asked the doctor about whether he could tell what kind of suture I had with the caesar (double or single fold) but, of course, he can't tell by the scar. I felt a little silly for asking but, hey, I ain't a doctor! He reckons it doesn't matter a great deal.
    However, I think that question prompted him to be a bit more forthcoming with information about a possible VBAC. He wasn't completely negative about it. He said I need to come and see him again in 4 weeks. He said at that stage he'd organise for me to see the gyno so that he can assess whether or not I can test the scar and try for a VBAC. The doc was being cautious and mentioned that he'd have to see if my pelvis is suitable to allow the baby to fit through and thus try fro a VBAC. Now, I know this whole "size of pelvis" thing is a load of twaddle. I'm a woman, I was designed for having babies and there was no mention of my pelvis being too small to birth Gabby. My reason for the caesar had nothing to do with my pelvis! He actually asked me why I had a caesar last time and I laughed and said; "Too much intervention". I don't think he was amused! Then I explained that it was due to foetal distress because the cord was wrapped around her neck. So, yeah... he seemed a bit more open to discuss things this time but still cautious. I feel a lot better about him now though. He interacts well with Gabby too which I'm happy about. I hate it when people ignore kids like they're not there.

So I have an appointment with the midwives coming up at the beginning of Feb so I can see where they stand then I'll get this gyno's opinion on my pelvis. I'd say he'll give me the green light. There'd have to be a damn good reason (better than "Oh your pelvis is too small" what the??) if he decides that I'd be safer having a caesar.

I've told my doctor that I'm researching and reading information so that I can make informed choices and not get lost in the system like I did last time. I also told him that hopefully things would be better here in Hamilton given that it's not as busy in the labour wards as it is in Geelong.

Debbie you are going great. Hopefully you will have a chance to read up a bit next time & be well & truely armed with information. Well done!! I know that sometimes you hear those comments about pelvis size (lordy lordy) and they can stick with you even though you know better. My goodness the things I was told once I went overdue... my pelvis suddenly shrunk I have some of the biggest hips around and I laughed in the OB's face. My baby would be too big and would wind up with cerebral palsy from trying to fit through my pelvis... OMG the scare tactics!! Jovie wasn't too big.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast