Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: VBAC / EBAC Discussion #3

Debbie Lee Guest

I've got no idea, Soul. Wish I could help out

oh its ok love, I guess it was a worry vent!

Debbie Lee Guest

When I go to see the midwives in Feb, I've been thinking about the questions I want to ask them.
    Firstly I'm going to ask them to recommend a doctor in Hamilton that will be more inclined to allow and support a VBAC.
    I've also been advised (by a lovely midwife in Warrnambool) to ask if I will be allowed to go overdue (and how long for). How they answer this will determine whether I persue a birth in Warrnambool instead.
    I was thinking I'd ask about the hospital policy on delivering the placenta. I know Geelong hospital has the policy of administering oxytocin to help deliver the placenta.
    I am also going to ask about less important things (but still important to me) like whether they provide cloth nappies etc.

What else do you think I should ask... especially in regards to a VBAC?

will they insist on constant monitoring - or intermittant ??
    Do they insist on an epi?
    Do they insist on an IV bung??
    How long they will alow each stage of labour to go ( my Dr kept coming in saying - well if you havent progressed past.... in the next half an hour we have to put the drip up for a very short time to kick start everything ) but then everytime he came in I had progressed enough to just keep him happy. Some Drs are rediculous ( only 5 hrs for first stage, etc etc )
    All these things are what most vbacers Drs try to push them into

Breastfeeding Deb!!! Can the baby go straight to your chest for a minimum of an hour?

BTW... if any answers aren't what you want to hear, just start collecting some data supporting your view & bring it with you next time thats what I did.

Debbie Lee Guest

Thanks so much Vanita and Christy. I've written them down.
    To think... I didn't have any questions for the midwives when I had Gab... now I've got almost a page worth!! LOL

Wow Debbie, that's really unfair of ur friends, maybe if u use the phrase Vanita did. I always say I'm not feeding her certain solids too soon due to W.H.O. recommendations & that's just me, I'm the only 1 in my mums group doing it, but I'm sure they understand that that's just my decision, nothing against their decisions.
    Yikes Debbie, hopefully it could be prevented in this day & age.

OMG Nic, like ur DH was the one experiencing the pain, LOL.

No-ones asked me yet (to my knowledge) if I'm going VBAC & I most definitely am going to try.
    I've had several lots of surgery, but req'd no cut or edoscopic. I don't like the idea of being cut open, even though I had a normal (if not speedy) recovery.

Emz, I did the same as Shannon, went to whom my GP recommended, she told me the top 3 she recommended & I went with the first. U generally have to book in early though (as soon as u find out).
    My 1st was due mid April & my cover kicked in 4Apr. They said I'd still be covered for my birth regardless of if bub came early as my official EDD was on/after my 12mth wait period ended.

I'm thinking about getting a Doula now, to help & just discussed with Hubby, he's happy with that. However I have no idea on cost or where to find one or anything. Will have to hunt around the Doula threads.

Debbie Lee Guest

Shell - if you have a look on the main site there's a list of doulas somewhere. I'd say being out where you are you should be able to find one? There's none in my area Such a pity. Still... I've spoken to a couple of ladies that are happy to support me (one is a LC and one is a midwife) so I'm happy with that.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Shell, if you cant find any in the Doula list on BB http://www.bellybelly.com.au/birth-attendant-locator then email me at [email protected] and I can email my Aus-wide contacts to help you find one
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Thnx Kelly, none nearby me in there, so I'll email u & create a post somewhere too to find out whom others have used in my area.

Debbie, just been reading your pg journal, good on you for going to book into 2 hospitals, then you have a choice. i have travelled about 45 mins each time to get to a hospital I want ( theres one only 10 mins away where I work, but they dont do "high risk" so I went elsewhere. I didnt find the trip too hard even though I was labouring. I use music to focus, so i just "hummed" along and ctx.

HI there all,
    It's my first post in here so I hope I don't ask too many questions!
    I've just started my down reg cycle for IVF ICSI, and although I may not be pregnant for some time - I may be pregnant as early as end march, so I thought that I better start my researching now!!

My first bub was born at 28.6weeks due to placenta abruption and I ended up having an emergency c-section due to placenta previa. The IVF Doc says that with my next pregnancy he will send me to the high risk pregnancy unit at the Womans or Monash.

Next time around I would really love to have a normal vaginal birth but I don't know how everything works with the high risk unit.
    My questions are:
    1) With this history is it likely that I will be able to have a normal viginal birth?
    2) Does anyone know how the high risk units work?
    I just want to have as much information as I can as opposed to last time around!!

Thanks

mrmoo Guest

I had my last bub by vbac @ geelong hosp. and my main midwife on duty was a lady called Margaret. Of course she insisted that I have the monitoring belts permanently on and that I labour on the bed. It was not possible. I was determined to have an active labour not a passive one and the belts only lasted 10 minutes. Yes the usual reasons about needing to monitor the uterus as well as the baby were expressed but the need for me to walk through the labour pains was far greater than their need for hospital stats. After I took the belts off from then on the midwife was able to use the handheld listening device at every 15 minute interval. Ultimately I was allowed to achieve the exact birthing experience I wanted, pacing and walking during labour, holding onto dh during contractions, and ended up birthing my 10lb4oz baby boy by vbac and only sustained two minor grazes internally and did not need stitches. During my pregnancy I read as many positive vbac stories as I could, I refused to allow into my mind anything possible that could go wrong because to me that was like asking for something to go wrong. I'm not saying I didn't know the risks that are always put to you when pregnant after a c-sect but what I am saying as that I wrote a plan and I made sure everday I remained focused on my plan (even to the point of annoying dh). After I had my boy I was allowed to breastfeed him straight away, the midwife encouraged this because the uterus contracts during breastfeeding and this helps to push the placenta out. During a previous pregnancy a piece of the placenta remained and caused me excessive bleeding but this time round it came away perfectly. Less than 24 hrs after achieving a successful vbac I was allowed home with my big beautiful baby boy. I truly believe you achieve exactly what you continually focus on, so if you are always reading up on what can go wrong then that's what you're more likely to experience. M y advice is to read the risks once and once only then focus solely on the exact experience you want to achieve for the rest of you pregnancy. I wish everyone on their vbac journey all the power their birthing goddess can muster.

Hi, interesting reading. I am going for a VBAC2 this time - my first was a genuine emergency c-sec, with my second I felt pushed into it. This one is unplanned but I see it as another chance to gt it right! My doc says it should be OK, they will probably do an u/s at 34 weeks to check everything's holding together.

wondering if i can join you lovely ladies!

So I have been doing some googling on my issue that lead me to have a c/s with DS. (cervix was unable to dialte after 15hr labour, due to scar tissue around it from routine procedure after abnormal cells showed up in a pap smear) and APPARENTLY Midwives,OB's etc can break down the scar tissue in order for the cervix to dialate.
    I am assuming this is only done once in labour and not before but ive read of cases that the cervix was completley closed then with some (uncomfortable) work to break the scar tissue the cervix by putting their finigers into the cervix and doing something....they dialted 4-5cm almost instantly!
    This is giving me hope i may be able to try for a VBAC.
    There is no point speaking to my OB in melb about it because he is of the opinion i should have a c/s. (im really scared of having another c/s from the exrushiating pain i went through in recovery even if it was a one off rare occurance i dont know if i could stand that sort of pain again)
    My OB that i will c when i move to sydney will be the one delivering so i will be discussing this when i meet with him end of May.
    Has anyone ever heard of this?
    Has anyone had a c/s due to not dialating?
    has anyone tried this method and found it successful/unsuccesful?

Hi Nickers

I've had laser/biopsy to cervix too, for Cin2 abnormal cells, then cryotherapy to cervix to remove a polyp (as didn't want surgery again). I was diagnosed with cervical stenosis (scar tissue on the cervix) & bled every pap & they were quite awkard/painful than they were b4. My sister has also had Cin3 removed by same gyn & has severe scar tissue, a gyn at our local public hospital said how messy her cervix was (was careful of his wording). I was told by another gyn (& GP) that yes it can inhibit dialation during labour. The gyn said if a professional knows about it b4/during the labour, they can attempt to roll back the scar tissue (with fingers) to break it & then have ability to dialate, like u said. I only had 1 internal (last was at 13wks) & that was after 14hrs of contractions & as I was waiting for epi as pain was too unbearable. 2 midwives checked me & couldn't confirm whether I had actually dialated at all or whether I was fully dialated & they poked bub in but (undiag breech), so I'll never know. I also had a D&C/lap/hyster 2mths b4 preggas, & not sure how that affected it, but think if anything it probably improved things (or maybe it was just that my endo was remvd, dont know), as my last pap in Sept wasn't painful & didn't bleed.
    You'd really need to discuss the situation with ur ob & midwife & they should put it on ur antenatal sheet too.

Hi Shell,
    yes it was CIN3 that i had. and before i had it i had never heard of it but once i had it, it became very common and every second person i spoke to had it or knew someone who had.
    This is interesting what you say that you and your sister both had scar tissue from it, so maybe it is more common for scar tissue around the cervix from this procedure then is known about. or depending on how good the gyno is?
    A g/f of mine who also had CIN3 has been trying to fall pg for the good part of 5yrs, had several attempts at IVF etc, she had the same gyno as i did, it makes me wonder if there could be an underlying problem from this procedure that is preventing her from falling pg. (her and dh done many tests and both healthy with no clear problems)
    It will be one of the first things i bring up with my new OB, but as i am not in Syd yet i guess i have to wait, and in the mean time maybe do some more research on it!
    so when/how were you diagnosed with stensosis? before pg with Holly/whilst/when in labour?
    so does that mean that your scar tissue was broken or maybe softened enough while in labour last time so this time you have a good chance id dialating?

Nickers, I'm not sure if this will help you or not but I have heard of EPO - Evening Primrose Oil being used to soften scar tissue.

Here is something I got from the Birthrites site

• Evening Primrose Oil capsules; 2-3 capsules high in the vagina, repeat 2-3x 24hr intervals
      Evening Primrose Oil acts as a prostaglandin, which ripens or softens the cervix. It's also useful for softening scar tissue from abortions or IUD damage. This will soften/ripen the cervical tissues and increase the flexibility of the pelvic ligaments. This will help the baby to deeply engage in the pelvis. This early application of the baby's head will assist with dilation and should result in a relatively easy birth, even after multiple C-sections for "stalled" labor.
      Evening Primrose Oil may be helpful for women with borderline pelvises as well. The utilization of Evening Primrose Oil seems to enhance the complex set of biochemical messages that initiate labor. You can take evening primrose oil, orally, in the last four weeks of your pregnancy. You should take three evening primrose oil capsules daily for the first week (36th week of gestation) and then one to two capsules a day for the last three weeks of pregnancy.
    Hope this helps

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast