Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: VBAC / EBAC Discussion #4

I guess I am lucky that when I asked 'but I can will have a VB next time, won't I' to my ob the answer was plain and simple, YES!

I know what you mean by Jas by saying that the nerves are normal as even though I have had a CS and had a positive experience I am scared of having another, why? I do not know, maybe it is because I was a natural birth so bad. It is nice to hear from someone who has had a VB, CS and is going for another VBAC... .

I was talking with my MIL on the weekend... My DH was born be C sect, for failure to progress, so I asked her how the second c-sect was, just assuming she had one, but NOPE, there was never any mention of it when she was pg with number 2. And that was in the 70's... And the same Dr for both births. It was just assumed that the next birth would be natural. She was surprised when I told here that the usual way of thinking is once a c-sect, always a c-sect...

So how is that for progressive, and isn't it sad that we are now forced into a position where we have to fight for out birth rights?

xo

To be honest Rufalina I was kind of in the same mind set when I had DD, I just assumed that I would have a vaginal birth with my next, I did not know that their was such thing as I VBAC and how much of a struggle it may be to get one in some ways the research that I have done has mad me realise how hard it can be when I had just assumed it was no natural.

That is great to hear that you MIL was able to have a successful VBAC back then with no issues .

Default VBAC hopeful

Hi, I hope I am in the right place to ask this question. I am 9 weeks pregnant with my second and with my first I had to have an emergency caeser. ( which I thought could have been avoided, bloody doctors) but anyway. I really really really want to have a VBAC but im a little worried. I am regularly having these little pains around my scar area and was wondering if any other ladies experienced this also?? Does any one have any stories about Melbournes royal womens hospital??

Hi Logan

Pains around your scar is normal, your muscles and nerve endings are knitting together all the time (hence why you could still be quite numb there for months afterwards) and once you get pregnant again, things start stretching, so it can cause a little bit of pain from time to time.

I find mine painful at the moment if I am lying down and I have to cough. But its the muscles, not the scar on your uterus, so try not to worry.

HTH

Hi Logan,
    My first two children were born via c-section. The area around my scar is usually completly numb (its been 4 years since my last c-section) but when i fell pregnant with my third child my scar was quite sore and felt like it was stretching. I was quite worried about it but I had a successfuly VBA2C so it didn't cause any problems

Hi Logan,

Like Mel and Julie, when I first got pregnant I did feel stretching, tugging sensations but now that I'm so far along, I can't feel anything and I am planning my VBAC for next month. There is lots of things you can do, mentally and physically to help prepare yourself for a VBAC. The first thing you should do is get a caregiver who supports your efforts 100%. Check out this thread for all our ideas and suggestions to help with a successful VBAC - and look into hypnobirthing / calmbirthing.

I'm in SA so don't know anything about the Vic hospitals, but other women on here will be able to help you out.

Good luck!

Hi Logan,
    Like all of the PPs, my scar was very tender early on, it was very painful during my first scans in particular. I didn't get to ask my Ob about it until I was 32 weeks, and she said once I was further along it should get better....lo & behold I tried to show her where it was hurting .... and couldn't find it cause it wasn't hurting at all!

There is so much great info on here, I'm due for my VBAC next month & have found it amazingly helpful.

Best of luck with your VBAC

Rufalina, my nextdoor neighbour had her children about 50 years ago and was the same as your MIL. She ended up having 3 c/s, but attempted a VBAC. It was just what you did. She inspired me quite a lot when I was pregnant this time around; if she could try then, why should we be so scared now? She was very positive about her experiences too which helped alot.

Logan, my scar hurt too. It did worry me at times because of all the talk about rupture but it was never a problem. Try not to worry.

So far, I haven't felt any pain or discomfort on my scar but I expect that to change as I start to grow. I was lucky that I had a great surgeon, she did a fantastic job stitching me up and my scar is barely visible now after just 13 months.

Laranna, I am pleased your scar healed so well but I don't think that the scars appearance is really a gauge. Mine is lovely...as far as scars go but it still hurt at times. I think it was mostly later in pregnancy though. My ob laughed when I complimented him on his handywork...said it probably wasn't so pretty on the inside.

I suppose that's true Berme...I expect my scar to hurt as I get bigger, sometimes I'm surprised that it hasn't hurt yet!

I'm also worried about where the placenta is going to attach. It was the reason for the c/s last time as it was really low (placenta praevia). I've heard that the chances of it implanting low again or even in the old scar are higher in subsequent pregnancies...

Laranna - the chance of it attaching itself to your scar is real - its been known to happen, and I was sooo scared last pregnancy that it happened. But it didn't (even though my placenta was at the front) so try not to worry that it will happen to you

Although, I'm worried this time round too - I suspect my placenta is at the front again, because I haven't felt any kicks or any movement, and I first felt movement at around 15 weeks with DS, kicks at 17 - but didn't feel anything with Miss M until I was 22 weeks - so it looks like I'm following the same pattern.

I think what I'm trying to say is - try not to worry about the unknown that may not even happen you know? Think positive, and deal with it IF it comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Arimeh View Post
    I think what I'm trying to say is - try not to worry about the unknown that may not even happen you know? Think positive, and deal with it IF it comes up.
    :yeahthat: great advice...

They will be able to tell at your next scan won't they? leave the worry until then

gosh pregnancy gives us a lot to worry about doesn't it? as if I didn't have enough....
    Last edited by Fleur; June 16th, 2009 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arimeh View Post
    Laranna - the chance of it attaching itself to your scar is real - its been known to happen
    I didn't know that this could happen! Sometimes I wish I didn't research and know what 'could' happen!

My placenta was also on my front wall with Matilda and I did not feel kicks at all in my pregnancy, I could see on the ultrasound screen that she was kicking but I could feel nothing, not even a tickle.
    All I felt was bum wiggles and headbuts in my ribs, from about 22 weeks, it is hard to count movements for the day when you can't feel much.
    I am really hoping this time that I can feel kicks, it was yet another thing I missed out on .

Does anyone know at what stage they can see where the placenta is on ultrasound? I am having my first next week, I will be 13 weeks? I didn't find out the position of mine last time until 28 weeks or so, nobody bothered to tell me even though I kept saying I couldn't feel baby kick.

Anyway, that was a long post about placentas!

Oh and my scar is 'pretty' on the outside too, job well done, even if it is in my undie line and no-one will see .

DD - I'm not sure, I asked at my 18 week scan with Miss M - but I don't get the 12 week scan done with any of my kids - so I don't have the opportunity to ask at that one. I would assume that they would be able to tell you though at that one. I'll be asking at the 18 week scan with this one too - wish me luck!

I got told that my placenta was forming posterior at my 12w scan, but she didn't go into any detail... Going to ask OB at my appt next week though to check it out JIC... But assuming that posterior would be OK cause scar is at the front???

They had a really good look at my placenta at the 18 weeks scan - checking that it was at the front - again! (I wonder if that has anything to do with me sleeping on my tummy???) They also spent about 15 mins checking to see how high it was. This one is definately away from my scar so they have no worries.

However one of my friends had to have a c-section for her second bubs because the placenta was too close to her scar, and when they took him out (pre-arranged c-section due to the risk) they found it had grown into the scar as well - caused some complications but both she and bubs were fine. She has since had another bubs (c-section) and the placenta was miles away from the scar.

PS - you can't even see my scar on the outside! the Ob did it in one of my natural lines and it has completely dissapeared - soooo nice.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast