Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: VBAC / EBAC Discussion #4

Mel, thanks for posting that link, that is bloody brilliant! Very inspiring. All the odds were against her and she did it.

Quote Originally Posted by *suz1* View Post
    My hospital has given me the OK to VBAC and said a big baby is not a problem unless it's 6kg!
    Suzi i would imagine 6kg wouldn't be much fun for anyone, VBAC or not

DH asked me on the weekend if VBAC scares me because I've only experienced c-section before. I said 'No' because I know my body is capable and I've got the support of midwives and the hospital OB this time who believe in me. The more I prepare, the better chance I give myself and the more confident I feel that I can do this. Regardless, my birth will be 'empowered' even if I end up with another c-section. The nice thing is that DH is feeling confident too and it was partly his fears that convinced me to have a c-section last time.

Mel - thanks for posting that link! What a brave woman. I am in awe.

Jasp - Absolutely! I'm sure my OB was exaggerating, I don't know if our hospital has ever seen a 6kg baby

Hi Girls,

I just found this thread and thought I might join. I have had 2 c-sections and at any time now will be having a Water/Hypno HBA2C.

I was sent this link on facebook yesterday

It is a video of a woman who had 2 c-sections then went on to have a water HBA2C. It has come just at the right time for me. I was crying uncontrollably watching it, so if you do watch it make sure you have plenty of tissues. Just be warned that although many of you have seen one before the c-section parts you may find disturbing.

If you have a slow internet connection it may take a while to load and it goes for about 15 minutes. But well worth it.

I look forward to chatting with you all.

Thanks for the link! What a great story. It's aweome to see such a great result from a woman trusting her own body to do what it was designed to do.

Well done Jasp! I love hearing success stories.

Suz1, there was a 6kg girl born in Townsville a few weeks backs. Was a record for Townsville Base Hospital so I would imagine pretty unlikely that you will manage to produce one that big. Stay confident! It is so very important not to let other people's fears get to you.

I did have acupuncture on my scar site either. My acupuncturist said the calf needles were uterus toning, the induction points were in my shoulders. You would imagine they should all do the same things?

MeganH - Wow! Thanks for posting that link. I've never seen a c-section, not even my own, so that was enlightening. Now I can understand all the pulling and tugging I felt I honestly can't remember how old my son was when I got to hold him for the first time, but it had to be at least an hour.
    Best wishes for your water HBA2C I'm sure it will be amazing!

Berrme - Good to know there's been a 6kg bub somewhere in Aus, I didn't think they were very common I've been reading 'Open Season' by one of the authors of 'Silent Knife' and already I feel so much more confident about my ability to VBAC. But not just about my body's natural ability, it also talks about resolving fear, anger and grief before you labour so they don't put you back on the surgeon's table. I'm amazed how much your attitude can affect your VBAC!

Hi Girls, just thought Id drop by quickly and update you all.

Im sure some of you maybe have read the birth announcement and know some details already.

Anyway, Emily Ann was born at 6:20am on 8/8/09
    She weighed 8lb 7oz or 3.8kg, 52 cm long, 36.5 head circ.

Emily was born by c-section so unfortunately for me things didnt go according to plan a or plan b but went according to plan c. Please dont feel too bad for me not getting my HBA2C as I am accepting and when you read my birth story (which I will post maybe tomorrow) you will understand too why plan c was the best for me on this occasion. I am recovering well and breastfeeding is going really well so far (although right now my boobs feels like big watermelons coz my milk has come in).

I am still in hospital as I write this, although I could go home tomorrow but I have decided to stay 4 days rather than 3 to give me a bit of extra Emily/mummy time. So I will go home on Wednesday.

So I didnt have a HBA2C, I had a Home labour and an empowered c-section.

Please dont let this get anyone down who is still going for their VBAC. I still believe in everything I have said and written.

Thanks for updating us Megan. I was disappointed for you when I read the announcement - simply because it brought back memories of my own failed VBAC last time. C-sections definitely get easier each one you have, so I hope your recovery is swift.

I'll be counting on you for holding my hand when my time comes along

All the best
    xxxxxxxxxxxx

Megan, congrats on the arrival of Emily Ann

I'm very pleased for you that you had an empowered C-section. I don't know the circumstances of why, but in reading your post you obviously feel it was the best option for you.
    I think that is what it's all about really - feeling like you have the best possible experience & outcome. Sometimes there is a need for a CS, ideally it shouldn't leave you feeling disappointed and I'm very happy that you had an experience that you are happy with
    (I don't know if I said that very well, I'm a bit fuzzy from lack of sleep! but hopefully you get my drift...)

Wishing you a speedy recovery & I look forward to reading your birth story

Megan,

It's wonderful to hear that Emily Ann is finally here! Hope you have a speedy recovery and that you had a good hospital stay before going home today. I look forward to reading your Birth Story when you post it. I'm glad to hear that you got to have a home labour and and empowered c-section after plan C became best for you.

Hi all....just a question about monitoring. Saw my ob today and he is happy for me to labour at home as long as possible and to come in when my contractions are 1-3 minutes apart. Then when I'm in I'll need monitoring for 20 minutes and then I can take it off for 20 minutes, then back on for 20, off for 20 etc until I'm about 8cm where he wants me to have constant monitoring. Does this sound reasonable? I told him I want to be moving about as much as possible and not be stuck on my back so that I can allow labour to progress well and quickly.

The monitoring has got me a bit worried about it all. With DS, they put the monitor on me when I got to the hospital and I went to move to a sitting up position during a contraction and they lost the heartbeat which freaked them all out. I truly believe it was because I changed my position not because DS's heartbeat dropped. Bit worried the same thing will happen again because the OB said if there is a sign of distress/heartbeat probs he'll do a c/s. Am I being too paranoid?

Hi!
    Its completly up to YOU what u want happening with the monortoring. I also had a bad experience with it durin my first labor so I refused it with my VBAC. I only agreed to intermitted monortoring with a dobbler. I wanted to be able to move and lobored in the bath. It has been shown that monortoring can show early signs of a uterine ruptuer BUT it also increases your rish of having a c/s when it isn't really needed. Soooo its all about looking at the recearch. From memlry I think there is a good article about it at Plus-Size Pregnancy Website Cover Page but sorry I don't have time to look it up for you (I'm just about to leave for a 10 day holiday .
    Anyway continue questioning things u are told and seeking independant information.
    Goodluck!
    Jules

Eluned - As Jules said it is up to YOU with regards to the monitoring. My suggestion (if it makes it easier), just go along with it for now and when you are in hospital just refuse it. Scream at them if you have to (youre allowed to do that when in labour LOL!) and tell them they can just use the doppler. YOU are the boss, they can't force you to do anything.

Just make sure you have a good support person who can stick up for you. I would suggest a doula or independant midwife as well as your partner.

All the best.

hi everyone i hope you guys dont mind me joining! i had my son via an emergency c section 3 weeks ago at 38 weeks due to a failed 30 hour induction and cord around his neck and posterier position and it was the worst thing i have ever been through! it took us sooo long to get there and our birth experience was completely opposite to our dreams I have to wait a minimum 18 months before TTC again and it will take us a while to get pregnant again (very poor sperm) so I will have plenty of time to heal, is there anything else i should do in the meantime to prepare for a VBAC? its all I can do at the moment to get me through grieving the birth experience we should have had.

lydia sorry to hear things didnt go as planned.

i had my 3rd c-section 7 weeks ago. it was a planned home/water birth. but although it didnt go to plan a i stll had an empowering c-section experience. i have done a lot of research and am happy to share at any time.

do you have a support group somewhere in your area for women who have had c-sections? it really helps to tell your story and listen to other people stories and chat with women who know exactly how you feel and have been through the same thing.

anyway, i am happy to chat with you any time, pm me if you want facebook or msn details.

Hi Lydia

Like megan I just attemted a VBAC with my little girl 12 weeks ago, but due to a number of complications we had an empowered c-section as well. The best thing I can suggest is research as much as you can, be really really positive and have lots of back up plans. Everyone in here is more than happy to help with ideas.

Good luck and let yourself have time to heal, both physicall and emotionally.

Hi lydia,

I'm surprised you were told the minimum is 18 months before TTC again - its actually 18 months between births that is the minimum - so you can start TTC or get pregnant when your bub is 9 months old. I will only have about 15 or 16 months between this upcoming birth and Miss M's c-section, and nobody has said anything to me about it not being long enough. My OB explained to me that all the healing is done in the first three months anyway, so really how long you wait is sorta useless. I go by the thinking that if its going to rupture, its going to rupture, no matter HOW long you have between births. Oh, and have you written up a debrief in the disappointing births section of the forum? That can be a great way to let everything out and have support from fellow members that know what you are feeling. I have my last birth written in there from my failed VBAC.

Eluned - I think my last OB was fine with intermittent monitoring, and more than happy for me to go with my instincts. We are always the first to know ourselves if something isn't right, we just have to listen to our little voice inside. The midwife at the birth centre didn't even mention monitoring or anything for my VBA2C - I'm seeing her again next week, so I'll see if she mentions anything then. I think she is pretty happy for me to just cruise along though.

As for me - yes, have seen midwife at birth centre and have to organise for booking in with the local hospital, in case of transfer. Fine with me, of course they need a referral which of course I don't have one because I don't even have a GP down here yet, but I rang my old doc in Qld and asked them to send them a referral to them for me - for the price of $5 of course!!!!! Better than the $67 I would have to pay to go see a GP down here for 5 seconds to get a referral written though.

I've started on the RLT - I'm taking the pills (when I remember) and also drinking the tea. Will start EPO in a month or so (have to try and remember how far along I am.. haha!). Ooh and I nearly forgot, my midwife said to give them a call when I am in labour, and they come to your house and see how everything is going, if you need to transfer to the birth centre - so I might get my home birth after all if all goes well Not that I want the kids to see any gory stuff, I think Miss M in particular will still be a little young for that, and Aricyn will just make me cranky by asking me every 5 seconds if I'm ok... LOL

Hope everyone is travelling well

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast