Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: VBAC / EBAC Discussion #4

After reading Arimehs post, Im also surprise about the gap between that you have been told. My daughter was only about 5.5 months old when I fell pregnant with my son. There was never any issue about me having a vbac (although in the end I had to have a c-section) but it was never even mentioned about how soon it was after my first c-section. As Arimeh mentioned, you are pretty much all healed up (physically but maybe not emotionally) in about the first three months or less.

The OB told me not to get pregnant for at least 18 months and its also written in capitals on my file, Im kind of worried something may have happend during the ceaser that they didnt tell me about and thats the reason for the extra caution? it did take about 45 mins to get him and out and stitch me up which apparently is quite a long time im told so he also was pulled out with the forceps. I guess il never know! although im an RN and really tempted to pull my file!

I'd definitely take a look at your file if you can - or get a second opinion. That might be his stance on things, but its definitely not usually the norm. DS was taken out with forceps as well because he was pretty well burrowed down in my pelvis, and it took a fair bit of time to get him out. DD needed two docs to get her out, my OB and the student OB, with one pulling from one end of me, and the other pushing just under my rib cage because she was wedged under my ribs. From what I can remember, it took a fair bit of effort and groaning from both of them to get her out.

Do you know if your OB double stitched your cut?

Eluned, I was monitored for about 20 minutes on arrival at the hospital, and the monitor was put back on when it was obvious that I was in active labour. I didn't have am internal before they put it back on...it was just that the midwives thought my contractions were getting full on and wanted to check again. I was able to move and tried a couple of positions but found I was most comfortable on my back anyway. For me it was a non issue, I found it reassuring, but if it makes you concerned then you can refuse.

Lydia, my advice is to deal with the emotional baggage from your first birth before worrying too much about how to birth the next baby. In my opinion that is the most important part of preparing for a VBAC, and it will involve looking at your file and finding out exactly what happened in surgery and why you have been told 18 months. You should always know these things, don't just let it go!

Arimeh, you get to birth in the birth centre in Tassie... that is awesome! LOL at not wanting Aricyn present at the birth, I can't think of anything less relaxing than Byron being with me. Yay for babysitters!

Eluned, I asked my mid when I arrived if I could have the monitor on & off to move around a bit & she said 'let's just run it for 20 min & then see'.. unfortunately on teh first internal i was 9cm dilated but bub was not engaged & my waters intact, so she was worried about a cord prolapse & I was stuck to the bad then anyway.

But the point is I was ready to argue with her just circumstances changed. It is up to you & I think it's totally reasonable that you want to move around. Especially as VBACs so often have a time limit & staying glued to the bed doesn't help.

I agree it can cause Obs to freak out - but in my case, I had my CS due to foetal distress, he had the cord around his neck & the monitor was the only indication of any trouble. I was worried about it happening again so i was ok with a bit of monitoring. Her heartrate did take a massive dip on one contraction which freaked me out, but the mid was cool about it & it didn't happen again.
    So, I would hope that your ob isn't too quick off the mark to put you in for a repeat CS? I think (hope) they are more likely to look at the overall picture & then make a decision. It might be worth discussing with him first under what circumstances he would make that call.

Also, I wanted to say - don't stick too rigidly to the 1-3 minute timing for contractions. Mine never got closer than 5 minutes (which I was pretty happy about except that I thought it meant I wasn't progressing!) When it all happened it happened very quickly & if I'd been at home waiting for them to get closer I would have had a home VBAC

Trust & listen to your body, you'll do great

Lydia I agree with Berrme, I think sorting out how you feel about your CS is an important first step in preparing for a VBAC. Any emotional baggage you take with you to your VBAC will affect it, better I think to get it sorted out first.
    And if it were me I would absolutely want to know why you have to wait 18 months to start TTC, even if it was the usual thing I would still want to know, kwim?
    Good luck

Arimeh that's awesome you get to use the birth centre! ooh imagine if you did get a home birth... will be waiting to hear your news... (how far off are you now?)

Berrme - well you've met Aricyn so I'm sure can imagine where I'm coming from.. bwahahaha.. I think our boys are pretty similar

Jasp - umm... still got a bit to go... don't worry - I'll get someone to post the birth announcement (dont know who yet, haven't worked out a post it person for me cos I'm not part of a belly buddies group!)

Hi ladies,

Jumping on this thread after stalking for a while. DS was born in June via emerg c-section - undiagnosed breech. He'd flipped in his last few days and we didn't know until I was in full blown labour and arrived at the Birth Centre. So the c/s all happened VERY quickly. I'm still grieving the loss of the beautiful calm birth experience I was hoping for. I'm comfortable that we made the right choice after doing a lot of research on breech presentation since the birth, but that doesn't mean I have to like the decision we made. Each day it gets better and I'm firmly focussed on achieving a VBAC when we decide to conceive again.

Lydia the early few weeks were very hard for me. I was so emotional about it all and I still have days where it all comes flooding back, but over time it will get better. And like the other ladies have said, get a second opinion on how long you should wait to conceive again.

Mel I'm very impressed with the Birth Centre in TAS taking VBAC ladies. I was meant to deliver DS in my hossy Birth Centre but the c/s changed all that! At the moment they aren't able to do VBAC but I'm confident that might change in the future for my next bub. A different major hossy here does include VBAC women in their Birth Centre so the precedent is there, just need to work on them to change their policy.

Welcome lollybaby If you feel you need more support in your grief for your birth experience, please do a debrief - it makes you feel ever so much better

Oh - and to clear up the birth centre amazement - its a birth centre run by independent midwives, so not attached to the public hospital. If I went to the hospital down here, or any OB, it would be an automatic c-section. So I'm paying 2 grand for the privilege of having a birth centre birth - but I think its worth it

So look around in your state, there might be an independently run one there, you never know!

Thanks Mel, I'm slowly working on a birth story and a de-brief. Writing things down is very helpful.

I wondered whether your Birth Centre was independently run....it sounded too good to be true attached to a hospital!!! Mate, I would pay too for the privelidge of being supported by midwives in a Birth Centre to achieve my VBAC.

Yeah I'm pretty lucky to have found it. Although my private hospital and OB on the Sunshine Coast were fine for me to have a VBA2C - so it really does depend what their hospital policy is. If anyone is near the Sunshine Coast I highly recommend Selangor hospital for their pro-vbac stance!

thanks ladies i will be looking into it, and yeah i remember my whole body being thrown aroung on the operating table so must have been a struggle to get him out too! my DF said it looked like i was going to fall off, but i dont really remember that much i kind of went to my own place i was so scared, i didnt even look at my DF til recovery! i feel so bad about that now i never got to see his face the first time he looked at his firstborn, he wont tell me whether he cried or not! haha so stubborn!

Lost my subscription to this thread! Thanks girls for the advice on monitoring. I guess I will just see how it pans out closer to the time.

I've just started to think about having a doula. DH seems keen on the idea too which is great. Anyone planning or has already booked a doula for their VBAC? I'm also starting to think about writing a birth plan but not really sure if I should be bothered with it. Had one with DS and it went out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluned View Post
    Lost my subscription to this thread! Thanks girls for the advice on monitoring. I guess I will just see how it pans out closer to the time.

I've just started to think about having a doula. DH seems keen on the idea too which is great. Anyone planning or has already booked a doula for their VBAC? I'm also starting to think about writing a birth plan but not really sure if I should be bothered with it. Had one with DS and it went out the window.
    My VBAC birth plan went out the window when I was 9cm dilated, bub was high still & my waters hadn't broken.
    MIdwife was worried about cord prolapse & I spent my labour reclining on the bed - which would have happened VBAC or not.
    I still think it's worth doing though, you may get to use it! & it also helps firms what you want in your mind & your support people's mind.

Eluned,

I agree with Jasp, I think you should write a birth plan anyway. So you give it to the hospital staff so they know how you want things and it will make it firm in your mind. Yes it may go out the window at the last minute but if it doesnt you will be glad you wrote it down.

If you have a doula he/she will talk with you about your birth plan and will also help to ensure things go your way (even if not to the original plan).

I have to admit, Ive never written a birth plan myself though. Which I believe is why I ended up with my first two c-sections. My third I had an independant midwife who I had spoken with about my plans (I had a plan A, B & C). Things went to plan C but it went MY WAY! ANd thats what is most important, that YOU make the decisions, no-one else.

I agree on having a doula and a birth plan - it will help you cover off every situation that may arise. Even if things don't go according to plan you have thought about your options and there are no nasty surprises. I didn't get my VBAC but I had prepared myself for all scenarios so when I did have the 2nd emergency c/s it wasn't a shock or negative experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluned View Post
    I had a doula lined up if I was birthing on the Sunshine Coast - so no doula down here, just the midwives.

I haven't started on the birth plan discussion with my midwife - and she's going away for 3 weeks, so hopefully I don't have the baby early.. haha... there is another midwife that she works in conjunction with so I'll meet her.. uh.. next week I think? But I know their policies at the birth centre - no VE's, I know they monitor the baby's heartbeat a few times - and basically you can birth however and wherever you feel comfortable.

Baby is now head down (for those that aren't on my facebook friends and didn't see my update!) and she said its in an anterior position (woohoo!) and that its not a big baby (wooofreakinhoo!!) Considering both my other kids were considered to be "elephants" it makes a nice change to not be told that this time round!!!! Plus, its nice that she comes to my house and I get to lie down on my nice comfortable couch for the poking of the belly!!!

Hahaha - something funny though - she was showing DH how to do the peri massage (with her fingers in a circle representing the vagina) and she was showing him how much pressure to apply on his own hands (had them in a circle as well) and I asked where my bum hole was in relation to where they were pressing down - and DH said "where my ring is"... pmsl.. (he wears rings on his fingers) thought it was MOST appropriate that my bum hole was where his ring was... ROFL... ahhh had me in absolute hysterics there for a while.

I hope everyone else is travelling ok - keep positive girls - and may the force be with you

lol mel... too funny.

I am really pleased things are progressing so positively for you. I like the confidence in your post. And woo hoo for head down. My little one is well down and causing a lot of pressure and I have ages to go, I just hope we can hold the position and rise out the pressure, and that it leads to something happening.

I dont have a doula lined up, but I have my birth plan from last time, which I will discuss with my OB next appointment or so. I need to find out from him some details like timing for going to hospital, and stuff like that... However, I still am not visualising this VBAC, which I need to work on...

Ahh Ruf - I've been visualising a LOT I must say. Took a while, but the first time was a few weeks ago, I was sitting in the shower and I put my hands between my legs (no dirty thoughts girls!) and visualised lifting a baby out between my legs and putting it onto my chest - plus I did the motions as well. Which would have looked like I was an absolute nutter to anyone watching (not that they would want to - ewww yukko) but it did help, I even shed a few tears over it!!!!

So don't stress too much - it might come to you when you least expect it !

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast