Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: VBAC / EBAC Discussion #4

Welcome Nat, I am also due Feb '09.

I spoke to my OB at my last appointment and she is ahppy for me to go 2 weeks past my EDD as long as the monitoring is all ok so I am happy about that. She doesn't think I will need the 2 weeks so fingers crossed!

Hi Nat! I did have my VBA2C at JHH. Are you under the care of Dr Bissitts?
    I found the staff at JHH brilliant! Newcastle women are so lucky they don't have to beg or convince their Hospital to "LET" them VBAC...it is offered it is suggested it is genuinely welcomed! I almost gave up towards the end and Dr Bissitts pleaded with me to please cancel the c-section I booked because I'd had enough....I did and went into labour the next day...on my due date.
    So you really could not have a better team of professionals around you.
    Good luck with anything and I am more than happy to answer any questions.

Oh and I will be doing it all again hopefully early 2010!

Melissa

Nattys Guest

Hi guys

Thanks for your warm welcome!

Mel, I am under Dr Bissits but haven't met with him yet, apparently this happens much further along (34weeks I believe). Having had such a good experience of the other dr's and nurses re vbac I'm really looking forward to meeting Dr Bissits.

That's amazing that he's so passionate and supportive of vbac - almost unheard of from what I gather in the wider medical community.

Was your pregnancy fairly straightforward? What made you feel like giving up on vbac? How about the rest of you guys - where did you find the stumbling blocks popped up (either in yourself or in the system?)

Nat

hi Nat my pregnancy was really good till the last 6 weeks. I got gestational diabetes and irritable uterus
    It was the irritable uterus that made me want to just give up, I would contract when ever I moved for 6 weeks they were not painful but they were forceful with a lot of pressure.
    At 36 weeks I had to go up to the hospital because I had contracted like that every 5 to 1 min for 24 hours I was exhausted and my stomach physically hurt like I had been working out

I was pretty much stuck in bed or the lounge and I was going batty.

Melissa

Nattys Guest

oooh, no wonder you wanted a c/s! Good on you for toughing it out. How was your energy once the big day came?

My first pregnancy was really wonderful - don't think I'd ever felt healthier really. I'm trying to keep my chin up this time around. I've pretty much lurched from chest infection to chest infection (gotta love having a toddler in daycare for exposing you to everything that's going around!) and in the last week I copped a urinary tract infection.

Nothing has been that serious but I have noticed it's planted those seeds of doubt in my mind about whether my body can cope with pregnancy and vbac.

oh no that is horrible you've been so sick. I hope this is the last of it for you and you have a clear run from now on.

My energy levels were great for a few days before labour. Dr Bissits did a stretch and sweep on the 13 feb and I went to Charlestown to wander around the shopping centre but I started feeling a bit crampy so went home. It all settled down by 3pm and I told Quinn he couldn't come till after House that night lol! I went into labour at 2.00am ish on the 14th Feb Quinn's due date...by 5am ish I was ready to go to the hospital.
    I was using a TENS machine!! and it really helped to keep me going. I was waiting for the contractions to become regular and THEY DIDN'T! but the intensity of the contractions made me decide to go up to JHH.... I was 7cm by then.
    My contractions didn't get regular at all....the midwives thought I had hours and told me they would brake my waters at 9am then left me too it....At 7.30am they brought me some breakfast which I pecked at.
    Then at 8ish I told Scott to grab the midwives I felt like pushing....20 mins later Quinn was born, facing sideways and slid out head and body in one go! He was 3980gms, 52cm long and had a 37cm head...
    It was the proudest moment of my life!

Melissa

Nattys Guest

Thanks Mel, having spent this week lolling about at home doing the bare minimum I feel like I'm getting my good health back.

Sounds like you had a great birth experience. What was your experience of having GD and going for a VBAC? Also, what was it like once you were at the hospital - did you have to have fetal monitoring? Could you use your TENs?

The Gd made absolutely no difference
    I was monitored but they said they were going to let me off for a walk but I didn't labour long. I was actually happy on the bed. I was watching sunrise and my contractions were not overly painful. I was using the TENS and it really helped so much.

During the pushing stage there was no way I could have got up if I wanted to unfortunately.
    My body does strange things when faced with painful situations and it tries to pass out This was the reason my first labour failed I was incoherent and having trouble staying conscious...This time I was armed with ice! (the frozen water kind not the illicit drug ) Keep me freezing cold I stay conscious enough to cope. Scott was a bit concerned because my eyes kept rolling into my head and he almost missed Quinn being born because he went for more ice but it worked!
    Next labour we are taking an esky with ice packs so Scott doesn't have to keep going out for ice.

If you need a more active birth the midwives will work with you. Just let them monitor you at regular intervals. They really did seem very accommodating....
    Melissa

Default VBAC

Hi there,

I am 13 weeks pregnant with our second baby,

Baby #1 was a c-section after going post term, and going into labour with her having not descended at all, the decision was made the day before she was born to c-section due to not descending. I was told that if they induced me I had a 99% chance of failing. Anyway, Second pregnancy, and much research labour I have a new OB, and after my second appointment with him today, he said he can see no reason at this stage why we have to repeat the c-section. I was ready to go in there and fight and show him all the research. What a relief, I cannot tell you how good it feels, I know it could still happen, but at least he is not closing of the path for me.
    I think that hardenst part is, when telling family how glad I am to be given the option, they do not seem to be able to get past the fact that we got a healthy baby after the last c-section, but it is too hard to explain the utter sense of failure, however illogical it is to people who have never been through it or to women who are ok with their c-sections. I know last time, that I was too easily swayed by an OB who was more a surgeon then a care giver, but this time I am resolute, unless there is a danger to this baby, we are going ahead.

Default Anyone else going for a VBAC at the moment?

Hi Veromin

I'm in the same boat, c-section for first bubs, which wasn't really needed, other than they tried inducing me when I wasn't ready! But I have left my old ob, even though he supported a VBAC but the private hospital he delivers at doesn't. So have booked in with midwives at a public hospital that has a VBAC success rate of 70%. I'm also doing hypnobirthing to help me focus on the positive stuff for my VBAC and not be scare of birthing this time.

I've had to do a bit of convincing with DH about the VBAC - he was happy with a c-section but understands my want for a natural birth. I don't talk about it with anyone else unless they are supportive of my choice. At the end of the day it is a really personal thing that is about me, the baby, DH and maybe my daughter if we don't get a babysitter in time. We have arranged for a student midwife to be with us to act as a semi-doula who will help us as much as possible, and that is it for the people we'll have involved.

I'll keep you updated with how we go on our quest. Anyone else going for a VBAC at the moment?
    Last edited by Ryatha; April 7th, 2009 at 10:15 PM. Reason: title

I will hopefully be getting my VBAC in the next few days, just waiting for bub to decide he's ready.
    I have been lucky in that I haven't had opposition to the idea from anyone I know, just surprise from some who didn't realise it was an option. My first c/s was for PE which has not made an appearance this time so no reason to believe I am not perfectly capable of a natural delivery.

Veronim: stick to your guns, this is about your body and emotions, not the relatives. There are plenty of women out there who understand exactly why you don't want another c/s. Even those of us who are OK with their first c/s and the reasons for it.

Smile How many woman currently on BB that are pregnant and hoping for a VBAC/EBAC?

I am just curious really as to how many woman there are on BB that are currently pregnant and hoping for a VBAC/VBA2C/EBAC etc...

I am hoping for my V/EBAC in December/January and I am doing all I can to get the healing birth of my dreams, and hopeful it will be a vaginal birth.
    For me, my CS was not a bad experience at all, more so my seperation from DD from birth and her hospital stay until 3 months and also my inability to even attempt breastfeeding, for me it is about the bonding and experiencing everything I possibly can with my newborn.

So please share with me your hopes for a VBAC/EBAC....

You know my story so I won't repeat it

Well my hopes for a VBAC ended today. My c/s is in the morning. BUt Im just looking forward to keeping the baby with me after the op as I now have my own midwife. Unlike last time

*Puts hand up* Me... I would love ths baby to come naturally, and plan an doing all I can to acheive this.

Danni - so sorry you didnt get there... But yay on the middie!!! Good luck!!!!!

me - i'm not due for a million years but would like a VBAC... that said i'm not entirely ruling out a c-section - just going to wait and see how things progress and see how i'm feeling closer to the time.

Danni, I'm sorry that you are unable to get your VBAC, it is great that you have a private midwife and that you are therefore able to have your baby in recovery, that is great. If I can afford it I think this would be a great option, if I do need a CS again I will be ok IF I am able to have my baby with me at ALL times, for me this is the biggest factor, that and breastfeeding which means I would love my first breastfeed to be as soon as possible after birth.
    I wish you an empowering birth tomorrow.

Rufalina - I think we are due almost on the same day, waiting on my ultrasound still to confirm. It will be great to take this journey with you especially in the later months .

Mel - You go girl, you are going to get your VBA2C, I know it!

Emma - A million years is a long pregnany, when are you due?

If I want my VBAC I should really choose a hospital at first I didn't want to go back to the hospital where I delivered DD as I did not like their after care however with any luck I will have a healthy baby this time and therfore the aftercare will be different as I will not be depending on them so much, especially if I have a VB. I am calling the hospital where I had DD tomorrow to discuss VBAC options with them, I know my ob (public) last time was Pro-VBAC but I want to know more about it all through their eyes IYKWIM.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Danni is going to a public hospital throught caseload program so midwife is free! she has got same mw for all check ups and will be there for cs and recovery time!

Good luck hun

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast